Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

2 members and 3,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Apartment Pet Policies

So I will be moving to New Orleans in a couple months and will probably be renting an apartment, or possibly a house. I've noticed that most pet policies revolve around dogs and cats. Are caged animals usually not included in pet policies? I just have the one BP and a 1:2 breeding colony of rats. Anybody have problems with balls or rats in an apartment? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Apartment Pet Policies

Quote Originally Posted by sinclair View Post
    So I will be moving to New Orleans in a couple months and will probably be renting an apartment, or possibly a house. I've noticed that most pet policies revolve around dogs and cats. Are caged animals usually not included in pet policies? I just have the one BP and a 1:2 breeding colony of rats. Anybody have problems with balls or rats in an apartment? Thanks.
    I live in Georgia and I saw a post on Craigslist just last night about a lady that moved into an apartment here and did not mention her snake. She didn't think a caged animal would go against a pet policy since they don't mess up the carpet or chew and scratch the walls. Her landlord came in for maintenance and saw the snake. She was told to get rid of it or move. If she chose to move she would be required to pay the early lease termination! Unreal!!! She is asking for someone to foster her snake until her 6 month agreement is up and she can move. She is also offering to pay, upfront, and provide 6 months of f/t feeders. I'm thinking about helping her out. I really don't want her to pay me, just furnish the food.
    I guess it may be better to mention it upfront?

Thanks

I would be up front about it . When I was living in my old apartment there was a no pet policy. Since I was upfront about having a bp and a beardie they made an exception for me and allowed me to keep them.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Varies by apartment, but when I moved into mine, I told them I had geckos and they "checked" with the manager and said that if it lived in a tank / cage it was OK I just had to tell them what I had so that they'd know (i.e. when cleaning or maintenance people went into the apartment). I think they also have a "no breeding" clause, but I think that is geared to cats / dogs (which you're limited to 2 here per apartment).

I'd just look for a place that allows cats / dogs or ask (if they don't) if animals in cages are allowed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

My complex has pet charges for dogs and cats but does not charge for and allows rodents, fish, birds etc. Not sure if they changed their policy but the recent "reminder" of our pet policy to have dogs on a lease at all times states no snakes are allowed as pets. I moved in almost 3 years ago they were told I had snakes and they allowed them. So not sure if someone messed that up or they are lenient with some of their rules. Being upfront may have helped with them allowing me to have my reptile kids. The maintenance guys always compliment me on how I keep my snakes and kitchen sink clean and proper.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    My place is a "no pet" place. But everyone has a dog, cat, or bird. Not kidding and no one really hides the fact that they do. When I moved in I told her I have a few snakes, described how the enclosures had a locking glass door and that I feed F/T. She said fine no big deal. Well they don't know about the rat rack in my room now and they don't need to. They also don't know the number of snakes now and again they don't need to. The maintenance guys only see the two T8s in the living room and no one ever says anything. The rats and other snakes are in my room and they don't have a reason to go in there.

I'd say be upfront to an extend. To the average person 7 snakes (like I have) seems like a lot. You're one should probably be fine. I'd just ask if they allow small caged animals and go from there. I wasn't specific about the number or the species. "Python" tend to get the reaction of 20 food man eater.
    Last edited by Marrissa; 04-19-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Alluring Constrictors

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    My apartment has 100$ monthly fee for cats or dogs..and when we signed the lease they said any caged animal don't worry about it. Called later and asked specifically about reptiles, nope. landlord is scared of reptiles...but everything else your allowed to have...including birds, and yippy little dogs...

but god forbid my 800g and 500g ball python make a noise...

Probably doesnt help that i live in NB, about an hour away from the incident with the African Rock Python...so now a lot of people think "SNAKES ARE OUT TO KILL."
    It really sucks... considering being so attached to them...
    but i got them hidden in our room... if it comes up i suppose ill bring them to my moms place {whom also hates snakes..and wait for my lease to be up.}

Shifty
    New Brunswick, Canada.
    Male Pastel & Female Spider

Thanks
    What they don't know won't hurt them
    1.0 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Bumble Belly

Thanks
    Move to Ontario! It is illegal to deny (or kick some one out of) rented housing due to pets - unless they cause harm or damage. It's considered discrimination.

(Just kidding about the moving here thing - I mean, if you want to, you're more than welcome to )

Definitely dig into your tenant laws because sometimes there are hidden gems, especially among different provinces/states or municipalities. I would also be upfront about it, but gentle. Like maybe if you put out an add online for example, don't explicitly state that you have snakes. It tends to freak people out unfortunately.
    I had one breeder tell me she used to tell prospective landlords that she had "small designer aquarium pets" and then answer the questions they had about them, but kind of purposely go on tangents about how beautiful they were and would say things like "Oh would you like to see one? This one I have is such a sweet heart" etc. etc.

Best of luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger