Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,819

1 members and 2,818 guests
Fini,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Impatient - Pre lay shed & no eggs yet :(

This is my first time breeding my Ball Pythons and I was very excited to witness my male Genetic Stripe locking with my two het Genetic Stripe females. Both females stopped eating, got fat, started ‘glowing’ and did all the tummy rolls and bowl hugging that they are supposed to do. I even thought I witnessed ovulation. 30 days after the last shed, both females stopped looking as fat as they were and are now (36+days later) starting to look plumper again. They are still not eating and both are still ‘glowing’.
    I know that not all snakes read the books and can take longer than 30 days to lay eggs after the pre-lay shed, but is it normal for them to deflate and get fat again before they lay? I’ve tried to feel for eggs, but I don’t know what I’m supposed to feel. Are the eggs rubbery or hard – like a chicken egg? Their tale ends don’t seem to be full either - like there would be eggs in there - ready to come out.
    I was SO excited to have eggs too
    Last edited by Andys-Python; 12-23-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks

Re: Impatient - Pre lay shed & no eggs yet :(

Quote Originally Posted by Andys-Python View Post
    This is my first time breeding my Ball Pythons and I was very excited to witness my male Genetic Stripe locking with my two het Genetic Stripe females. Both females stopped eating, got fat, started ‘glowing’ and did all the tummy rolls and bowl hugging that they are supposed to do. I even thought I witnessed ovulation. 30 days after the last shed, both females stopped looking as fat as they were and are now (36+days later) starting to look plumper again. They are still not eating and both are still ‘glowing’.
    I know that not all snakes read the books and can take longer than 30 days to lay eggs after the pre-lay shed, but is it normal for them to deflate and get fat again before they lay? I’ve tried to feel for eggs, but I don’t know what I’m supposed to feel. Are the eggs rubbery or hard – like a chicken egg? Their tale ends don’t seem to be full either - like there would be eggs in there - ready to come out.
    I was SO excited to have eggs too
    Both my girls last season took 35 and 38 days to lay. Are you sure you saw ovulation? How longer after "ovulation" did your girls shed? How long had they been locking, etc. Give us a little more details and pictures would help.

BTW: eggs should feel like water balloons.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

Andys-Python (12-24-2013)

Thanks

I've never actually seen ovulation before, so I don't know if I saw it or not. I'll have to check my records to see the dates I thought I saw ovulation.

I didn't take pictures because I didn't want to disturb them but here is a photo of one of the females as of last week:

This is Spot - taken about 20 days after her last shed (after ovulation)

These two photos of Vivian, were taken 25 days after HER last shed (After ovulation)

I won't be able to check my records for the ovulation date until I get home from work late tonight.

My ambient temps are around 75-78F with the warm end of the tubs at 90F. I'm wondering if the cooler ambient temps have anything to do with the slower developement of the eggs.

Neither snake is eating yet. Nore are they very active. I still have hope that they will lay.

How long had they been locking, etc.
    Both females had been locking up with the male for several months. I stopped putting them together when they stopped locking up - around the time I thought I saw ovulation.
    Last edited by Andys-Python; 12-24-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My first question is, are you absolutely positive it was her pre-lay shed I have been fooled by building myself, it's certainly an easy thing to mistake sometimes.

I mistook this building for an ovy:

Then about a month later I saw this...

Another building picture

Your best bet is to look for the tail suck when you think you see an ovulation

Another tail suck

You could actually see her eggs/follicles during her ovy (she laid 4 eggs)

And finally, right before they lay, you can tell there are eggs near the end. This girl was 1,600 grams and only laid 3 eggs. They move the eggs down their body before they lay.

If you pick them up, you can see their prego bellies

They get the ridge back/tent look

And another female close to laying, notice the ridge back/tent look

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (12-24-2013)

Thanks

^that pretty much sums it up!

I mistook building for ovy too. But trust me, you won't "think" they ovulated...you will KNOW when they do! That could have been a pre-ovulation shed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-24-2013)

Thanks

You may be right - these sheds may have been the pre-ovulation sheds!!
    When do the females stop locking up with the males? Or is this even significant?
    I'm trying not to bother the females any more than I have to, so I'm not picking them up and haven't been looking for the 'tail sucking'. I have been looking for eggs every day and evening though (LOL).

I will continue to keep a watchful eye on them and keep you posted.

How soon is ovulation after the pre-ovulation shed?? I need to look this up.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andys-Python View Post
    You may be right - these sheds may have been the pre-ovulation sheds!!
    When do the females stop locking up with the males? Or is this even significant?
    I'm trying not to bother the females any more than I have to, so I'm not picking them up and haven't been looking for the 'tail sucking'. I have been looking for eggs every day and evening though (LOL).

I will continue to keep a watchful eye on them and keep you posted.

How soon is ovulation after the pre-ovulation shed?? I need to look this up.
    Most will not lock with the male after ovulating, but that mojave female locked almost until the day she laid. The male was in with her in that pic.

I can't remember the time frame for pre-ov sheds.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

I thought I would give you all and update.....
    It turns out that Vivian didn't read the books and laid 7 eggs and one slug today!!!!! I'm SO excited!
    It has been 56 days since her last shed! Spot hasn't had another shed either and I suspect she will be laying eggs within a week or two.
    Vivian lost 697 grams.
    I'm still not SURE I saw ovulation. I noted that, I thought I saw ovulation on November 3rd. That would be 72 days ago. I've looked at Vivian every day since then and I never saw an obvious ovulation or tail sucking. Same with Spot.
    I'm learning.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for you help and support!!!!

Andy