Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

2 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vet Appointment

Thanks

Exclamation Vet Appointment

Today was Rue's vet appt! We took a mini road trip to the vet. Long story short. Rue's a healthy horse! Haha all kidding aside, we haven't done any tests. We did just the run of the mill annual exam! She checked his throat, his nose, his eyes, his skin, okay okay you get the idea. She checked little Rue from head to toe! The things that stuck out to me,

• She sexed him; He is in fact a he! Phew.
    • He currently weighs 244kg
    • Fully hydrated, perfect weight[meatloaf shape]
    • Nice color, she said he is indeed a red tail. For those of you that have followed Rue's story since day 1 on the forum. Little rue was sold as a python ha! Feels so good to have the vet back up your guys/gals diagnosis of rue. Dun. Dun. Dun. Y'all were right {but i knew that already}
    • Rue has lines in his scales. You betcha I asked the vet about them. As soon as little rue will let me take a picture of exactly what I'm talking about, ill share. Anyway, Rue. She said it could be one of two things. 1) Dehydration in his past. She explained that when boas get dehydrated they pretty much "shrivel up like a little prune" or look like "a plant that really needs to be watered" [her exact words] The vet stated Rue is hydrated right now BUT at one point he could have been very dehydrated to the point where he was a prune. If this is the case though she said after a few sheds, it should get better & better! Poor rue! 2) He was kept in a tank/cage that was to small that forced him to be coiled enough to where the lines are there for good........ To give you some what of a picture, lines that run up and down. The lines are only one scale in width and run from belly to belly 360 degrees. The scales stick straight out, some fold over
    • He has a small amount of "flem"in his throat. I told her about when i first bought him and he sounded very wheezy, which got better and better. By the two week mark i couldn't hear him wheezy anymore. She said this must be the last little bit of that, but wants to keep an eye on it (gah. means another road trip to that vet hehe) She also advised me to lower his humidity. 50-60% for now. [His tank is usually 60-80%]
    • She advised me to get rats from glacier rodents.
    • She put him on his back to test the reflex (slips my mind at the moment) he reacted good.
    • She also told me, Rue, sadly isn't the first snake to be seen there from this particular store with minor issues.
    • Complimented rue for how patient and curious he was {he loves being held}

I explained in full detail where i bought him, how old i was told he is, what his husbandry is like. Trust me, she grilled me [for good reason though hehe a vet that actually cares woohoo] I opted to not do any tests right now, but in the future i do plan to. Next month, the stool sample. In june, the chemical and blood work {hey don't judge, its spendy}

When i left the vet I called the reptile store owner because i don't know any of his medical history, and clearly the vet didn't either. I called her to see if she knew anything about his health history or had any records. The conversation is as follow; after all the greeting & hello's

Me: I was just curious if you had any medical records or info on anything for rue, i took him to the vet today an- (cuts me off)

Owner: i HIGHLY advise against that, the vet is just going to try and pump as much money out of you as possible!!

Me: See the thing is, i haven't done any tests thats not the issue. Rue has lines on his sides an- (cut off again)

Owner: Which is normal!! HES A SNAKE! Its from coiling.

Me: She said it could be from something more serious in his past, i was just curious if you had any medical records or knew anything about the owners before you

Owner: No one keeps medical records on snakes. Its a snake. You mist it, feed it, make sure it has water. Thats all. I mean its pretty hard to have a snake in poor condition.

Me: no i defiantly understand what you're saying. So you don't have any info on rues past?

Owner: No, nobody keeps records. I don't even know of anyone that takes there snakes to a vet.

Me: Okay, okay, i understand. Thank you. *I hung up*

BUT WAIT SHE ENDED UP CALLING ME (conversation is as follows)

Owner: Hey sam, i just wanted to apologize about before. I know i can come on pretty strong. My frustration isn't with you, its with the vet. If i was you, i wouldn't trust a vet that says the lines are abnormal. Its really hard to find a boa that doesn't have the lines, its normal.

Me: uhh..huhh...

Owner: I had rue from June 2014 until you bought him in march (2015) before that my neighbor had him. She bought him off of craigslist. So as far as medical wise I have no idea, i just know i've never had a problem with him.

Me: Okay, well thank you

Owner: I know he's a healthy snake, anyone can come into my shop and look at my snakes...

Me: I was only asking about the lines, its hard to figure out what happened when, i didn't have him at the time. Thats all. Other than that she does believe he's healthy.

Owner: Okay, well you might want to think about the vet bills, the blood tests aren't going to show you anything. The stool only shows you worms an- (i cut her off)

Me: thank you, i understand.

Owner: Well, good luck. *hangs up*

As i noted above the tests will come, with time. Anyone else have any similar stories? Advice? Thoughts? Please! Don't be shy! I took rue to a local exotic vet whose 4.5 out of 5 stars and let me tell you i was not disappointed!!!

Oh yeah, here are a couple of pictures from today!

Rue's Mama

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rue For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-29-2015),anicatgirl (04-28-2015),Kukulkan213 (04-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Good to hear. Yeah I just wouldn't even bother with that store anymore. That owner was so wrong on so many levels. I mean she/he actually believes a blood test wont show anything??!! A blood test in reptiles is about the only way to get a thorough check up. It gives proteins, uric levels, calcium etc. I had one done on my bearded dragon. They aren't cheap but they give you a complete assessment. As for the vertical lines, some boas do get those, usually from being a bit fat. Also I have read that sometimes when a boa sheds, if it sits in a tight coil for a long time, the scales will crease because they are soft when they first shed. Also dehydration I guess too but I would assume the lines would be all directions, not just vertical. But regardless, good to hear he got a clean bill of health. Also good call on lowering humidity. I keep all my snakes around 50-60% humidity even during sheds and they are all fine. High humidity will promote bacterial and fungal growth which can lead to fungal RI. Curious which vet you used. Was it Kamaka Exotic Animal? I heard she is pretty good. I use Bird and Exotic Clinic of Seattle with Dr Bennett. But I'm always ears to hear about other reptile vets.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Vet Appointment

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Good to hear. Yeah I just wouldn't even bother with that store anymore. That owner was so wrong on so many levels. I mean she/he actually believes a blood test wont show anything??!! A blood test in reptiles is about the only way to get a thorough check up. It gives proteins, uric levels, calcium etc. I had one done on my bearded dragon. They aren't cheap but they give you a complete assessment. As for the vertical lines, some boas do get those, usually from being a bit fat. Also I have read that sometimes when a boa sheds, if it sits in a tight coil for a long time, the scales will crease because they are soft when they first shed. Also dehydration I guess too but I would assume the lines would be all directions, not just vertical. But regardless, good to hear he got a clean bill of health. Also good call on lowering humidity. I keep all my snakes around 50-60% humidity even during sheds and they are all fine. High humidity will promote bacterial and fungal growth which can lead to fungal RI. Curious which vet you used. Was it Kamaka Exotic Animal? I heard she is pretty good. I use Bird and Exotic Clinic of Seattle with Dr Bennett. But I'm always ears to hear about other reptile vets.
    Dr.Music at The center for bird & exotic animal medicine in bothell. Love her! I recommend this vet to anyone who lives around the seattle, Wa area! I will for sure be going back for his tests/checkups.

Also, the store I bought Rue from and have had SO many problems with is Hewiett Reptile Emporium in Everett, Wa. Sadly, I don't recommend her, or her store to anyone. Not even my worst enemy.
    Rue's Mama

Thanks
    Lol kind of funny about Hewitt. I knew the original owner, Steve, before he sold it to Kayla(the owner now). I've actually never had problems with her except she couldn't tell me the bloodline of a BCA she had for sale except that it was from a breeder in Idaho which put me off so I held off buying it. She ended up selling it guess she told me which is fine since I ended up picking up a Redgroup/Burke Lipstick line Sunglow poss super sunglow. I cant really fault her too much though as people who are looking for a specific snake will usually just go straight to a breeder and most "pet shops" don't keep records because they aren't given records usually from who they buy from aka a wholesaler or reptile mill. The conversation did sound kind of rude though from what I read. Since you live up in the Marysville area, you should check out Reptile Snack Shack in Marysville. I sold the owner, Bobbie, a bunch of dubia roaches to bolster her colonies and she seems really nice plus I think she has pretty much everything to feed reptiles. And ah the Bothell Exotic Clinic. That is fairly close to where I live kind of. I have never been there. Its good that they worked out. I'm trying to think of which snake you bought from Kayla.....was it the BCI in a white wood cage with sliding doors kind of towards the back right when you walk in on the floor? If so, that guy looked fairly healthy and kind of looked like a mini version of my big girl Rosey. Funny she sold you a boa as a python, if you guys weren't on such bad terms, I probably would give her grief about that next time I went up there to get horn worms for my beardie but since you two are, I will probably just not say anything lol.

At least your snake was mellow at the vet. When I had to take Harley to the vet, she was a nervous wreck lol. She pooped all over the nurses shoes, the exam table, the blanket and then she jumped onto me and ran up my shirt and hid under my neck which is her safe spot since I had her at 6 weeks old. Then she got mad when the doctor tried to take a swab of the inside of her mouth and bit the wood Q-tip in half. Both the doctor and the nurse said "Harley got a strong jaw" lol. But that's a beardie and she is a really shy girl. If she doesn't know you or is somewhere unfamiliar, she generally holds onto me with the grip of death and hides under my chin lol.

Anyways as for rats, you can also try Big Cheese Rodents or Layne Labs. Both of those have well packaged, clean rats. I just buy live and kill them myself before feeding as I see it as a fresh cooked home dinner vs a tv dinner

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Vet Appointment

Congratulations on reconsidering Rue's fate and good call with the vet appointment. Glad he is a healthy boa.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Rue (04-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Good job with Rue! He's in good hands.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Rue (04-29-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously, someone who believes a boa constrictor is a python is the person you want to trust on veterinary advice.

Seems like Rue finally landed in an excellent home!

Just one word of advice...when traveling with the snake, even short distances to the vet or whatever, they should always be in a secure, closed container. A tub with a tightly fitted lid, a sturdy cardboard box with the flaps taped down, even a small ice chest if it's a short trip. Something insulated to prevent sharp changes in temperature as much as possible...and something well padded with newspapers or old towels that leaves just enough room for the snake to fit so it can't get jostled around. The snake itself should be in a securely tied bag (inside-out pillowcase can work fine) and then placed in the container and secured in a safe place in the car. (On the floor if it's a warm day, or seat-belted on a seat if the day is cold enough to need the heater running).

I've read too many horror stories about snakes (big snakes, little snakes, snakes of all sorts) getting lost in cars because their keepers carried them on a lap for a "short drive."
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol kind of funny about Hewitt. I knew the original owner, Steve, before he sold it to Kayla(the owner now). I've actually never had problems with her except she couldn't tell me the bloodline of a BCA she had for sale except that it was from a breeder in Idaho which put me off so I held off buying it. She ended up selling it guess she told me which is fine since I ended up picking up a Redgroup/Burke Lipstick line Sunglow poss super sunglow. I cant really fault her too much though as people who are looking for a specific snake will usually just go straight to a breeder and most "pet shops" don't keep records because they aren't given records usually from who they buy from aka a wholesaler or reptile mill. The conversation did sound kind of rude though from what I read. Since you live up in the Marysville area, you should check out Reptile Snack Shack in Marysville. I sold the owner, Bobbie, a bunch of dubia roaches to bolster her colonies and she seems really nice plus I think she has pretty much everything to feed reptiles. And ah the Bothell Exotic Clinic. That is fairly close to where I live kind of. I have never been there. Its good that they worked out. I'm trying to think of which snake you bought from Kayla.....was it the BCI in a white wood cage with sliding doors kind of towards the back right when you walk in on the floor? If so, that guy looked fairly healthy and kind of looked like a mini version of my big girl Rosey. Funny she sold you a boa as a python, if you guys weren't on such bad terms, I probably would give her grief about that next time I went up there to get horn worms for my beardie but since you two are, I will probably just not say anything lol.

At least your snake was mellow at the vet. When I had to take Harley to the vet, she was a nervous wreck lol. She pooped all over the nurses shoes, the exam table, the blanket and then she jumped onto me and ran up my shirt and hid under my neck which is her safe spot since I had her at 6 weeks old. Then she got mad when the doctor tried to take a swab of the inside of her mouth and bit the wood Q-tip in half. Both the doctor and the nurse said "Harley got a strong jaw" lol. But that's a beardie and she is a really shy girl. If she doesn't know you or is somewhere unfamiliar, she generally holds onto me with the grip of death and hides under my chin lol.

Anyways as for rats, you can also try Big Cheese Rodents or Layne Labs. Both of those have well packaged, clean rats. I just buy live and kill them myself before feeding as I see it as a fresh cooked home dinner vs a tv dinner
    Yeah. The wooden cage in her shop was Rue's. I didn't not take that with me because it's to small and she said over and over how much he hated it ha. Ashley is usually really rude and than apologizes later on.... I'm almost done with my store credit at her store than I plan to never go back. When she had him, she called him shiloh. Other than the creases and the last bit of the RI Dr. music said he looks very healthy. If you don't already have a normal vet, I would deft reccommond them! I love it there, the dr was super patient & caring. Also, all of the staff was helpful! Plus, it was only 50$ for the exam which considering my dogs vet. Rue's visit is way cheaper ha.

I will deff look into the different shops!
    Rue's Mama

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Obviously, someone who believes a boa constrictor is a python is the person you want to trust on veterinary advice.

Seems like Rue finally landed in an excellent home!

Just one word of advice...when traveling with the snake, even short distances to the vet or whatever, they should always be in a secure, closed container. A tub with a tightly fitted lid, a sturdy cardboard box with the flaps taped down, even a small ice chest if it's a short trip. Something insulated to prevent sharp changes in temperature as much as possible...and something well padded with newspapers or old towels that leaves just enough room for the snake to fit so it can't get jostled around. The snake itself should be in a securely tied bag (inside-out pillowcase can work fine) and then placed in the container and secured in a safe place in the car. (On the floor if it's a warm day, or seat-belted on a seat if the day is cold enough to need the heater running).

I've read too many horror stories about snakes (big snakes, little snakes, snakes of all sorts) getting lost in cars because their keepers carried them on a lap for a "short drive."
    I will for sure put him in a secure spot next trip!! I never considered him running off, but than again I know when he doesn't like something he can move very very fast hah! Thank you for the tips!
    Rue's Mama

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rue For This Useful Post:

JLC (04-29-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    Yeah. The wooden cage in her shop was Rue's. I didn't not take that with me because it's to small and she said over and over how much he hated it ha. Ashley is usually really rude and than apologizes later on.... I'm almost done with my store credit at her store than I plan to never go back. When she had him, she called him shiloh. Other than the creases and the last bit of the RI Dr. music said he looks very healthy. If you don't already have a normal vet, I would deft reccommond them! I love it there, the dr was super patient & caring. Also, all of the staff was helpful! Plus, it was only 50$ for the exam which considering my dogs vet. Rue's visit is way cheaper ha.

I will deff look into the different shops!
    Hmm think I've only dealt with Ashley(I think that was her name, I don't really pay attention to the employees that much) once and that was just when I told her I needed 1 medium rat, 1 small rat and a large fuzzy rat. So cant really argue or screw up that response lol. I use Bird and Exotic Clinic of Seattle with Dr Bennett. Its a much farther drive than Dr Music but I was recommended Dr Bennett from a few people in the area as a very good reptile vet. She took care of Harley really good so I'm pretty happy. She is a bit more expensive though but whatever. Lol that's funny because the last time I was in there, I was wondering where that little BCI went. And yeah that wood cage was tiny. I always wondered how he moved around in it as when I was up there, he was always on the right side of the cage curled up lol. Good that you got him as you seem to care for him. I just go up there for horn worms as I don't feel like ordering only 1 tub at a time. I buy my rats locally from Maser's as I've known the manager for years and their rats are really clean and kept in clean cages and stuff. Also I really wouldn't worry about the creases. Rosey my big BCI girl has them too but hers are from being a bit overweight as she loved to eat as a baby and I spoiled her by feeding her more than I should have
    Last edited by Sauzo; 04-29-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast