Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,539

1 members and 1,538 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Putting food for rat in snake enclosure to distract them?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    My experience I feed over 200 live prey each month just to my breeders (that's well over 20000 live feeders during the last decade, during hatching season add 300 to 400 more a month), in those years I never used a piece of dog food in the enclosure and also have never had a single issue. I breed my own rats know they are well fed and well hydrated and it has been my experience that if not snatched out before hitting the enclosure's floor the rats will simply go in a corner where they will usually fall asleep.

As for the killer rats out there it's greatly exaggerated by pro F/T feeders people with an agenda and ZERO experience that continue to propagate the myth of the killer rat rather than educate people on how to properly feed live. The pictures and the tales all have a back story that does not represent live responsible feeding

As for the question if that makes the OP feel better why not there is no harm in doing so but for a feeder that should remain in the enclosure no longer than 10 min I find it unnecessary.

Just my and some change
    I absolutely know nothing about rat behavior and have only fed live when I felt had no other choice. I honestly do not know how I could have prevented my occurrence short of restraining the rat. The rat was in with the snake for two seconds. Maybe the rat was just trying to figure out what the snake was. It was not an I am going to rip you to shreds attack. I personally am not for or against one way or the other. I try to do things the easiest way possible which for me means f/t. If my collection was as large as yours and I had my own rat colony I would feed live all the time for the only reason that it is more efficient to do so. All that said, if there is a methodology to reducing the possibility of this rat behavior I am always interested in learning new things and will try it out the next time I have to feed live.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Zoe, the way Slim is talking is natural for his background. It is not personal.

Now I will shut up and mind my own business.
    Haha, it was fun all around and turned into an interesting thread. No offense taken by any of it, just didn't wanna see someone being talked out of a good idea or made to feel silly for it. I like new ideas, I find them invigorating!
    Last edited by Zoe; 05-04-2016 at 05:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoe For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-04-2016)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    If the snake feels like eating the rat won't be alive long enough to look for a meal and I wouldn't leave a feeder in long enough to get bored and hungry as that puts the snake at risk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (05-04-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Is it a bad idea? No. Is it a good idea, that's a matter of opinion, I see it as a unnecessary idea.

The bashing of teeth comment, doesn't deserve a response. You seem awfully angry for someone agreeing with slim saying it's ok to let the snake do what it's built to do without extra steps such as feeding the rodent. I don't see why people are getting so worked up over he subject outside of the bashing of teeth idea.
    How is it unnecessary if it could prevent a bite? If a rat is running around a snake enclosure alot of times the snake may grab the rat in awkward position and get bit. If the rat is distracted and sitting still eating, the snake can make sure it grabs the rat in a good spot. P.s i tried it today and my snake took its time making sure she aimed and got the best possible strike ive seen from her yet.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Zoe]Why? Do you laugh at kids who wear bike helmets even if they are on the sidewalk with training wheels? If it reduces a small risk to an even smaller one and there is no harm in doing it, what's the problem? I had a snake who got bit in the head by a live mouse because he didn't quite get his latch/wrap right immediately. In the short second it took him to adjust his grip, he got bitten in the head. I was supervising, but my reaction time is not nearly fast enough for that. /QUOTE] Yep, for this reason I ONLY feed F/T. Why risk it? My vet told me someone's beloved BP lost an eye the other day to a live rat. Again, they were supervising. Action is always quicker than reaction, however.
    Last edited by O'Mathghamhna; 05-04-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by highqualityballz View Post
    How is it unnecessary if it could prevent a bite?
    Nothing is unnecessary if it makes you feel better about feeding your snake, but this:

alot of times the snake may grab the rat in awkward position and get bit.
    Is a possibility, not a common occurrence. In fact, if you feed the proper size prey to the proper size snake, it actually happens very rarely.

And before you say, "but what about when they're in blue?" I have one that I have to feed in complete darkness, and I'll be damned if homeboy never misses. Somethin' bout' dem' heat pits Yo!
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Sorry, I tried to delete my previous post but it wouldn't let me, so let me say this:

While feeding live may not be a problem for some, there are many who *do* have problems with it, whether it's their own fault for feeding the wrong size or under the wrong circumstances, or because they were part of that blasted .001%. Heck, my vet told me someone's beloved BP lost an eye the other day to a live rat (owner supervised the feeding, btw). Further, each of my BP rescues has had chew scars on them. I know many folks on these boards are indeed BP veterans and they don't have these issues, but since there are also a lot of brand new people who know very little about BPs (think people who browse the threads without even joining), I will say this: Action is always quicker than reaction. For this reason, I feet F/T. I don't want to risk it. I won't try to convince others if they choose to feed live, but I will be happy to explain why I prefer F/T.

Also, I wonder if feeding the rats a kibble or two not only preoccupies them but also puts something in their mouth, making the odds of chewing the snake go down? Just a thought...
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Sorry, I tried to delete my previous post but it wouldn't let me, so let me say this:

While feeding live may not be a problem for some, there are many who *do* have problems with it, whether it's their own fault for feeding the wrong size or under the wrong circumstances, or because they were part of that blasted .001%. Heck, my vet told me someone's beloved BP lost an eye the other day to a live rat (owner supervised the feeding, btw). Further, each of my BP rescues has had chew scars on them. I know many folks on these boards are indeed BP veterans and they don't have these issues, but since there are also a lot of brand new people who know very little about BPs (think people who browse the threads without even joining), I will say this: Action is always quicker than reaction. For this reason, I feet F/T. I don't want to risk it. I won't try to convince others if they choose to feed live, but I will be happy to explain why I prefer F/T.

Also, I wonder if feeding the rats a kibble or two not only preoccupies them but also puts something in their mouth, making the odds of chewing the snake go down? Just a thought...
    I feed f/t to everyone of my snake except 1 that absolutely refuses anything but live. Im going to try p/k next week but f/t is a no go for her.

Thanks

I feed f/t to everyone of my snake except 1 that absolutely refuses anything but live. Im going to try p/k next week but f/t is a no go for her.
    Have you tried different colors and sizes? I know it sounds nuts but some BPs prefer darker or smaller prey.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Have you tried different colors and sizes? I know it sounds nuts but some BPs prefer darker or smaller prey.
    Yes ive tried white and black small rats and she was not interested. Hopefully next week im going to offer her p/k and if she takes it ill feed p/k for a few weeks then ill offer f/t again. For now she is a dedicated live eater!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast