Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,779

2 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

The UVA/UVB Debate (again...)

So I've taken two BP rescues to my local trusted herp vet. She handles my own snakes as well as wild snakes/reptiles with the Wildlife Organization I volunteer with. She is pretty adamant on the whole UVB lighting thing. I was sure to mention that I've heard ad nauseum that UVB/UVA/Broad Spectrum lighting is unnecessary for BPs, and she actually said the same. While agreeing that she also has heard this, she mentioned that she can't help but think in the natural environment of the BP, they are getting at least some sunlight coming in through the branches of trees and whatnot.

With that being said, I know many of you say that there are lots of things in the wild that BPs aren't exposed to in captivity so we don't need to replicate their environments perfectly... But being that this vet is intelligent when it comes to snakes, I'm inclined to maybe give UVB a shot. As far as I know this particular type of light aids in calcium absorption, and maybe other things. Thoughts?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Ask yourself the following:

1) Just how much sunlight does a nocturnal snake that spends it's days in termite mounds actually get filtering through the branches of trees and whatnot.

2) We've been keeping this species in captivity for many decades now, and the lack of UVB has never been a problem to my knowledge.

Do I think UVB exposure will hurt your BP? I have no proof or data that it will, but on the other paw, we have no data that says it will be beneficial either.
    Last edited by Slim; 05-04-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: RIF
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (05-04-2016),Fraido (06-13-2016),JodanOrNoDan (05-12-2016),John1982 (08-12-2016),LittleTreeGuy (05-04-2016),PitOnTheProwl (05-05-2016)

Thanks

Re: The UVA/UVB Debate (again...)

Good points... I did read a study done on the calcium absorption and rates in one group of BPs versus another group with differing exposures to UVB, but it was so science-y I couldn't make sense of it. I wonder if maybe it improves mood the way the sun tends to with many mammals, but again, how do you measure that? *sigh*
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Multiple generations of BP's have spent their entire lives in dark racks, and they still appear healthy.
    Could a little bit more vigour come from applied UV (and what ever other radiation is in actual sunshine)?
    ...I don't know.

Most morphs are based on a lack of one or more protective pigments - my speculation is that we would be seeing problems if this practice were the standard for captive care.

That said, I try to get my snakes out for brief periods in warm weather. The corn is a plasma, and very pale. Mostly I let him climb shadey fig tree, and the plants and furniture on our roofed front porch, because I don't want him to burn.

...So, you folks who keep albino lizards that need UV: any reports of skin cancers or eye problems?
    Last edited by distaff; 05-04-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    ...So, you folks who keep albino lizards that need UV: any reports of skin cancers or eye problems?
    Thanks for your input as well, and good question!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons

Thanks

If you do go the uvb route use a long strip kind as opposed to the "coil" or "prong" shaped screw in uvb. These types of bulbs can burn the eyes of reptiles. UVB absorption is more necessary in creatures who eat plans and leafy greens as the uvb from the sun aids in in their production of calcium . animals like snakes who eat things like mice who eat things like grass are getting the uvb from the mouse or similar type creature. Who got it from the sun and grass.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexio For This Useful Post:

O'Mathghamhna (06-12-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    One of the main reasons I like keeping balls is that I can put them in a tub and not have to screw with lighting. I have exactly one lizard and I hate having to deal with his lights not to mention my nephew almost set the house on fire because he decided he needed to play with it and put the light hood on the bed still on.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Alexio (05-12-2016),O'Mathghamhna (06-12-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    One of the main reasons I like keeping balls is that I can put them in a tub and not have to screw with lighting. I have exactly one lizard and I hate having to deal with his lights not to mention my nephew almost set the house on fire because he decided he needed to play with it and put the light hood on the bed still on.
    LOL--Hey, I rested the heat lamp from one of my first snakes' tanks on my dresser and burned a big charred circle into it. We all make mistakes
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    in the natural environment of the BP, they are getting at least some sunlight coming in through the branches of trees and whatnot.
    She might want to do some researched on BP and natural habitat.

They don't live in trees they live underground in termites mounts.

I would recommend her that book http://vpi.com/
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (06-12-2016),IsmQui718 (08-12-2016),PitOnTheProwl (06-12-2016)

Thanks

Both you and the vet are technically right. Snakes don't need UV to live healthy lives. They get all the necessary vitamins, including vitamin D3, from whole prey. But since they're crepuscular, wild ball pythons would be exposed to low level UV at dusk and dawn (plus there's the odd field report that finds them out basking at their den entrances during the day..!) Also, UV light is part of the visible spectrum for ball pythons, and we only have theories about how they use it and how it affects their behavior. There are a good number of keepers out there who choose to provide it for those reasons, with seemingly positive results. I don't myself, but would be curious to try it in the future.

Anecdotes from people who provide it for their snakes suggest that it may have a positive effect on feeding response. People have also reported improved coloration on their snakes, a noticeable difference in activity patterns, basking behavior etc. I follow a few experienced keepers who work with difficult/delicate species and find their animals are much more likely to thrive when offered UV and consider it essential in acclimating wild-caught imports.

If you do end up given it a try, I'd suggest choosing a low-percentage bulb and offering a lot of cover so that the snake can regulate their exposure.
    Last edited by Snake Judy; 06-12-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast