Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,761

1 members and 2,760 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Albinoballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

Nervous to pick up

Hi everyone, my wife talked me into buying a 3 year old redtail, the owner said she was a pet and breeder and they handled everyday. I held her alot when I bought that day, and the next day setting up her tank no issues. Now it's been a week and she ate a day and a half ago, and now I'm to nervous to pick her up. I tired this morning but she was balled up on one side of our tank and since it's glass sliding doors I can only open from one side and her head is always there. She dousnt hiss or anything but when I tried to pick her up she started moving and quickly moving her head to look at my arm. With her neck curled up and it's just freaking me out. Any ideas to help me pick he rupture and play with her or should I wait longer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Nervous to pick up

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I give my adult boas 3-4 days to digest after eating to handle them unless then need to be cleaned out, because they usually eat XL or jumbo rats, or rabbits, so it takes them a while to digest. Since they eat monthly giving them half a week to digest doesn't cut down on handling opportunities.

You've had her less than two weeks. Give her more time to settle in to her new home before doing a lot of handling. She's in a new place and doesn't know you well yet.

When I want to handle mine I open the door and rub them for a while before picking them up. I also try to slip a hand under and lift rather than grabbing from the top.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (12-01-2015),Albinoballpython (11-29-2015),GoingPostal (11-29-2015)

Thanks

I feed her a large rat, I'll give her another week maybe put a worn shirt in her tank so she gets used to my sent. I haven't handled her at all since the day I got her, I didn't know if I should give her a few minutes out with me if that's ok or not

Thanks

The only time I actually feel iffy about handling her is when she is balled up on one side of the tank resting, I came home today and she was moving around and was able to grab her upper and lower midsection with her head away from where I put my arms in and no problem pulled her out. She does seem like she dousnt want out, as I'm pulling her out she is trying to crawl back into her tank, after I got her out and had her whole body except her head resting on me she had a defensive strike position looking at her tank and slowly tried to make her way back into her tank so I just let her crawl through my arms back into her tank. I am in no means so scared that I shouldn't have her or anything like that soon please keep them comments away I love her to death. I am not intimidated when handling her. I just want to avoid her biting me at all cost as big as she is. I don't mind if my ball bites me that's no big deal. I just want to know any precautions for getting her out when she is balled up and the only way to get her is to reach my arm over her head since she always has her head under the glass opening when resting. And any husbandry comments are much apreciated. New to the redtails.

Thanks
    Stop messing with her. Leave her for a week to digest and acclimate. Youre going to piss her off.

Thanks

Ok so give her two weeks in total. I've had her for a week, she has ate for me. Aghhhh it kills me lol. The only part I hate about been a snake owner is the first few weeks when you get a new one haha I sure everyone can agree. I'll let her be till next Saturday giving her 2 weeks of settle in time before I try to handle her unless suggested other wise.

Thanks
    She will settle down with time. Don't rush things, I have a female that I got under similar circumstances. She acted just like yours. However with time she settled down just fine. In fact she is one of my most favorite snakes in my collection. When I open her cage she barely takes notice of me. She's just one cool customer. So don't worry it will work out for you with time. Let us know how things work out for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Albinoballpython (12-01-2015)

Thanks

Thank you trigerhawk!

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I would let her settle in for 2-3 weeks before attempting handling and then if you are worried, have a drink first put a glove on the hand you reach in with, you can also just drape a towel over the snakes head and then grab. What I do is tap a little with a hook or the hide if they have that hungry, looking for food appearance or show my closed fist, boas seem pretty smart and not strike first, ask later like my short tails. Once they get the idea, oh, just coming out for handling you can slide a hand under the middle thick part and start pulling out, the squirming away, mine does that too and just as bad when I try to get him back in the cage. I got an adult male redtail a few months ago and he was fine out of the box but the first week struck at the cage door a few times at my husband, who now refers to him as "the mean snake". I let him settle in and he's been nothing but calm, no hissing or striking. It always sucks not being able to see and touch new additions but it's better for them to just wait it out and go slow.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Albinoballpython (12-01-2015),Megg (12-01-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast