Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

7 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Go be an accountant, you can buy all the reptiles you want. People that work with animals make hardly any money which limits the possibilities of a collection.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (11-30-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Set a budget. Your extra electrical use can be calculated from each heater or lamp you use. Figure out the food costs, supplies and a vet fund. The maintenance costs of each animal you add leaves less money for the rest of them, and you.

Pay as you go.
    NO CREDIT!

As someone else stated above, Life Happens: Natural disasters, car wrecks, apendicitis, cancer, blown disks, babies, deaths in the family, lay-offs, hyper inflation, deflation, violent crime, etc.

Don't take on more than you can handle.
    It won't be fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (11-30-2015)

Thanks
    I remember seeing someone mention once about how details concerning their BP collection was actually included in theirs and their spouse's wills.

If something serious did happen to you, what would become of your collection? Where would your animals go, or who would look after them?

They are questions that someone of your age might never think to consider. Heck, many people of all ages probably wouldn't think of it either, I know I certainly didn't until I read that post.
    2.2 Ball Pythons - Super Pastel (Manasa) / Banana (Foster) / Butter Bee (Pancake) / Normal (Chipit)

0.1 Abbotts Okeetee Corn (Koko)

1.0 Jungle Carpet (Akurra)

1.0 Coastal Rosy Boa (Volos)

0.1 Het. Albino Kenyan Sand Boa (Hulu)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to das_nooblet For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (11-30-2015),Kris Mclaughlin (11-30-2015)

Thanks

Re: What's it like livin' the dream of owning a lot of herps? I've got a few question

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This. Start small and work your way up as you can afford it.

Now that said, if you have a large collection then there are expenses you won't have - like vacation travel longer than an overnight trip - because pet sitters don't handle exotics.
    Indeed. Takes alot of dedication. It is possible to leave for 2 days but other than that we have a very tight maintenance schedule. Were remodeling anyway but we rewired with big stuff and a generator hookup in our animal room. We lost a few pacman frogs last winter due to a power outage. Ive started building my own display enclosures lately too with more energy efficient heat wire to make side panels heat panels and save on all the heat mats and just have my uvb tubes and leds for my plants built in. Itll save me a ton on all my high powered things everywhere.

A friend of mine recommended a cheapie solar gig for my lights even...

Keeping frogs, snakes, and lizards of all sorts takes alot of time and sometimes pinching pennies for a while. But if ya have the resources, living artwork is the way to go!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-30-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What's it like livin' the dream of owning a lot of herps? I've got a few question

I do not own a large collection I try to stay within 75 to 100 breeders, but I have good insight on the "dream" from my perspective the one and close friends who do this for a living (I do this successfully allowing me to make a nice profit but have chose not to make a living at it.)

Having a dream is great being realistic about it is very important.

First have you owned any of the species you mentioned above? No read about those species but actually owned them?

You want to go full extent on a breeding facility but seem yet seems reluctant to spend money
    I dont go bankrupt collecting and selling herps.
    , reality number one it takes money to make money and making money with animals is a risk, now you can minimize that risk by being smart and investing your money wisely.

First step to make money regardless of the level at which you want to succeed (collection paying for itself, extra spending money, making a living) you need to have a plan and treat this like any other business, second step you MUST know your market and while diversity is great, too much diversity can quickly be overwhelming especially when things do not work out as planned (and sometimes they do not). Over the years I have seen people jumping head first thinking it's fast easy money with little work and when things do not pan out they sell their entire collection within 3 or 4 years.

Now I could tell you how much my electricity bill is but it will not help you since the chances is you will not keep your animals the way I do, this too needs to be figure out with your own figures (number of racks/enclosure = how many feet of heat tape = how many watts, or facility kept at room temp, than how many watts are being used to do so with either oil filled heater or heat pump)

While getting to do what you want is close to a dream even if it's not how you make your living it's also a lot of work, planning, but also heartache at times (the ups and down of breeding) and that is reality.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-02-2016 at 11:05 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-04-2016),das_nooblet (12-04-2015),distaff (11-30-2015),GoingPostal (11-30-2015),Kris Mclaughlin (11-30-2015),Mephibosheth1 (01-03-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sand_Boa_Owner View Post
    Haha, thats the problem! I'd love to work at a zoo specializing in the reptile house. Then maybe save enough money at the side for my personal herp dreams lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Go be an accountant, you can buy all the reptiles you want. People that work with animals make hardly any money which limits the possibilities of a collection.
    ^ There is a lot of truth to this. I love animals more than anyone I know... and I don't work with them, I teach instead, which gives me money to pay my bills. If I had taken any of the jobs I had initially thought I wanted involving working directly with animals, I wouldn't have the money to keep the animals I do. So my work life is less desirable than I wanted it to be, and it's not at all a hobby in any way, shape or form-- but I make good money, have good benefits, and have great hours which gives me lots of time and some spare cash to spend on my pets.

There're down sides to everything-- and with animal based careers, the low pay rate is usually it.

And yes... if you want an enormous collection.... don't ever plan on taking long vacations. We are lucky enough to live within walking distance of a friend who also keeps herps, so when I travel, she watches my guys, and I do the same for her. Not everyone is that lucky to have someone they trust completely with such things.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Registered User footballpythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    thats my dream to except i will not go extreme full time because after high school and college i plan on being a business man, and i plan on getting the variety going after setting a strong base in three main staple reptiles which are ball pythons, leopard geckos, and blue tongues

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by footballpythons View Post
    thats my dream to except i will not go extreme full time because after high school and college i plan on being a business man, and i plan on getting the variety going after setting a strong base in three main staple reptiles which are ball pythons, leopard geckos, and blue tongues
    You consider blue tongues to be a staple reptile??
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12