Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 626

2 members and 624 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Dumeril's Boa....

It may be a good idea but by the time a T-stat gets here the problem will already be gone. As of current the vet says to keep things as they are. He says it's not to serious and feels the treatment will be enough. He has been treating reptiles for many years. He says we will go to more drastic measures if the problem persist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spike89 View Post
    It may be a good idea but by the time a T-stat gets here the problem will already be gone. As of current the vet says to keep things as they are. He says it's not to serious and feels the treatment will be enough. He has been treating reptiles for many years. He says we will go to more drastic measures if the problem persist.
    I seriously doubt the problem will be "already gone" before your t-stat arrives. RIs are a pain to get rid of no matter what type of bacteria is the cause. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your vet, but there is a reason those with YEARS of experience will also tell you to do what I told you. I am a bit shocked that your vet doesn't agree. That would concern me. Just sayin'.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

I have also read allot who say hi heat low humidity. Not argueing.

Thanks

Paper towels are terrible about holding humidity that's one reason why I stopped using them.

Thanks

I have also read allot who say hi heat low humidity. Not argueing.
    What you want to do to treat RIs is high heat and high humidity. Dryness aggravates the illness. I know you're not arguing, I just want to be clear if others read the thread. Whether you do or don't take the advice is up to you.

Paper towels are terrible about holding humidity that's one reason why I stopped using them.
    The paper towels aren't for his regular cage. It is recommended to use the paper towels in a "hospital tub" during the RI treatment - not to replace the substrate you're using in his normal enclosure. The humidity has to be kept high with frequent misting in the tub. A tub just big enough for the snake is recommended so heat can be used under the entire tub. The point is to create a very clean environment in which the snake cannot leave either heat or humidity to combat the infection (in addition to the prescribed antibiotics).
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Ok so we took Darwin to the vet for a follow up shot on monday. The Vet was very pleased with the progress. He is no longer open mouth breathing and has become seeming more active during the times he needs to be. Not as sluggish as before. Next shot is tomorrow.

Thanks

Ok so he got his shot on wednesday. Of course the vet said he is doing well. But now I am certainly taking your advice. I think this vet may not be as good as I thought.

Thanks

He is however not open mouth breathing anymore. The vet literally asked me if I would like to come back and get another shot. Not he needs another shot, but a it's up to you as a pet owner. I'm not a vet and I'm really mad.

Thanks

I don't know maybe I'm over reacting. I am going to get a second opinion in Kettering Ohio.

Thanks
    Second opinion is good. You're not overreacting. It is good that you're taking the advice given. Keep us posted. He'll be ok, but it might be a long road.

How many injections has he had so far?? The usual round is 3 doses, but it does depend on the antibiotic being administered. He needs to finish whatever course has been started. Stopping then starting up again with either the same or a different antibiotic causes the bacteria to become resistant. Your vet should know this. I am slightly appalled that he even made an allusion to the final injections being not necessary. So, yes, a second opinion is good.....
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast