Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

1 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: scaleless ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Montypython696 View Post
    I'm friends with a few breeders who have had the opportunity to actually hold it. From what I understand its very similar to shark. Sand papery from what I've heard.
    Maybe different snakes have different feels, but I think any "sand papery" feel would be from random scales that are there. Scaleless corn snakes, for instance, sometimes have a large smattering of random scales, which would make them feel bumpy. A completely scaleless snake feels like very soft, fine suede. I've held one of Brian's. Not his ball python, but one of his colubrids.
    -- Judy

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Your lucky jlc. Even tho I'm conflicted about the scaleless snake I would like to hold one. Good experance of what I don't know about.

Thanks

Nasty. Like the naked mole rat of reptiles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Thanks for the link, what an interesting read.

Thanks

I just got to hold Brian's scaleless BP on Thursday and they feel like velvet I would consider the feeling closest to a crested gecko .. The color pops right off him to.. very amazing ball python.

Thanks
    I could not be any less interested in them. Another concern I have is these guys are ALWAYS going to be niche snakes, curiosities. There are a few of the bigger breeders hyping them up to the point that people would believe that in 15 years 75% of all Ball Pythons in collections are going to be scaleless. They are really not a "game changer" no scaleless reptile has ever been a "game changer."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This gene when combined with anything else will give a completely new perspective on them. All the fuzzy lines will be gone and color distortions as well. Everything will be clean and crisp. Imagine a pin that is perfect lines, or an albino that does not fade... I could keep going but I am sure everyone gets the point. These really are a game changer because it changes how every single morph looks.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ransack View Post
    I could not be any less interested in them. Another concern I have is these guys are ALWAYS going to be niche snakes, curiosities. There are a few of the bigger breeders hyping them up to the point that people would believe that in 15 years 75% of all Ball Pythons in collections are going to be scaleless. They are really not a "game changer" no scaleless reptile has ever been a "game changer."
    It's definitely all speculation, for sure. And terms like "game changer" are pretty subjective without any clear definition. So what one person considers game changing may not seem particularly impactful to another. The scaleless morph MIGHT end up being nothing but a curiosity that interests few people. Or it MIGHT become a widespread and cherished morph. Either way, not everyone is going to like it. Not everyone likes pieds or albinos or any other morph that has "changed the game."
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    I have a 1.1 pair of scaleless texas rats on the way to work with and see what this whole mutation is like. It mainly is a curiosity thing, but also a uniqueness to them. I agree that its going to be a niche style animal. But to the people who think its inhumane, its just like albino in the wild - a mutation that would likely die off it was produced in the wild multiple times over. In captivity we can ensure they have the right requirements for shedding, we can control the substrate to ensure no infections, we can control food to ensure it cant harm them, and we can monitor immediate signs of health concerns.

That being said, the scaleless ball python is brian trying to make his money back on this very large investment (when he bought the weird ball python with the scaleless head - similar to the het scaleless rats and corns). There are a few breeders working with hets now, and they are going to attempt to get them into multigene animals this year or next I'm sure. Give it 10 years and if its still in the hobby, it'll probably retail for below 1000 IMO.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

RustlewoodReptiles (08-05-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12