Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,731

5 members and 3,726 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Best place to get frozen rodents?

I asked the same thing. The 2 sites that people suggested were big cheese and perfect prey. There shipping and cost were the best. Unless u can trust clist

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Big Cheese Rodent Factory for me! Their prices are good, not one rat was unclean or out of place, and they're neatly lined up in vacuum sealed bags.

I also tried Rodent Pro only once, and it was bad. The quality just can not compare to Big Cheese. The rats weren't even in vacuum sealed bags, they were just in a pile in a bag, some of them were dirty (black specks in their fur... no idea), and to top it all off, half of them were partially defrosted upon arrival. Bad. I didn't bother asking for a refund, because I just... didn't want the trouble. But I could have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (07-25-2016)

Thanks
    Soon I will be shipping rodents. Just need to up production because I can barley keep up with local sales. I'm getting a much bigger area to breed but the key to any good breeder spotless conditions and Mazuri 6f or equivalent food source. I'm also a fan of spring water cause I have access to unlimited amounts no chemicals that way.

Thanks

Thanks for the info the big cheese factory seems the way too go...

Any helpful hints to switch to rats from mice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    Thanks for the info the big cheese factory seems the way too go...

Any helpful hints to switch to rats from mice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    What worked the best for me is getting some dirty mice substrate from the pet store, from the mice enclosure... you know, with their scent and poop and everything. Then after the rat is defrosted, roll it around in the dirty mice substrate to fully coat it with mouse scent. And I just keep the bag of the stuff to use this way for many feedings, until the snake is taking rats consistently.

One of mine actually still won't take a rat unless it is coated in mouse scent in this way.

Thanks
    Redshepard nailed it on the head! Follow those steps you should have no issues with the switch. I personally would try a white rat if you were feeding white mice

Thanks
    Repeating what other people said, but I've done both Big Cheese and Rodent Pro. (I have only one snake, but I usually make large purchases with 3 or 4 of my snake owning friends to split shipping costs).

In terms of packaging, Big Cheese is great. They are all vacuum packed on a styrofoam tray. My order came completely frozen (although I ordered in the middle of December). Mice were all consistent in size and very clean. For me, the packaging and overall product trumped Rodent Pro. Their stuff came frozen for me, but were packed in large bags full of air, which I thought would eventually compromise the freshness of the mice. They're okay still right now (it's been about two months) but I have my doubts on whether or not it'll stay nice and unfreezer burned. Both the mice and the rats I ordered were consistent in size and mine were on sale (whee!). I guess in terms of pricing, Rodent Pro might be a little cheaper. Customer service was great for both companies.

I had another friend who orders from Layne Labs. They are a little more expensive, but from what I hear, a good product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12