Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,351

4 members and 1,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

My trouble making male

Ive posted a lot on Walter and his driving me insane by not eating. I took him out on the deck Saturday as it was nice and warm. He's eaten one small f/t rat in 7 months and I believe three weeks since then. He's 2 years old and about 930 grams. I think he looks fine, he not fat or anything but I sure don't think he's real skinny.
    He refused a small f/t rat again last night, I've been offering every other week. I'm thinking serious about just putting him on a once a month regiment. Curious as to what you all's thoughts are on that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smitty33 For This Useful Post:

Kam (07-25-2016),Scott_Loh (07-27-2016)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    What's his enclosure like? How often is he handled?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Smitty33 (07-26-2016)

Thanks

Re: My trouble making male

What was the breeder feeding him? Try live. From what I've read, their is a higher probability of bps consistently feeding with live prey. Also, not sure if you're feeding him in a separate enclosure, but if you are, stop. Offer him food in his regular enclosure. Lastly, he doesn't look anywhere near critically malnourished, so I wouldn't stress too much.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    0.1 Enchi Pastel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TangieHaze For This Useful Post:

Smitty33 (07-26-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLou View Post
    What's his enclosure like? How often is he handled?
    He's been in a AP T-8 for almost a year. Hot side 90-91 cool side 79-80. Humidity 55-65 on cypress mulch. I only handle him about 2 or 3 times a month. He's fine and has been since Ive had him that way, NEVER has hissed or even remotely acted like he would strike. Ive had him almost 2 years and he always ate pretty good until this last December. That's partly why it drives me so crazy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TangieHaze View Post
    What was the breeder feeding him? Try live. From what I've read, their is a higher probability of bps consistently feeding with live prey. Also, not sure if you're feeding him in a separate enclosure, but if you are, stop. Offer him food in his regular enclosure. Lastly, he doesn't look anywhere near critically malnourished, so I wouldn't stress too much.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    He always ate f/t just fine until December. I always feed him in his enclosure. I hate to try a live rat and then get him hooked where that is all he eats because my wife strictly forbids me feeding live so I'd have to sneak him one. I may do that though here pretty soon if he don't get going and like I asked I believe I read on here of some breeders only feeding their adult males once a month.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts
    Enclosure is nice and cluttered up? No bright lights? I agree he doesn't look too thin that I'd be overly concerned. I also wouldn't try live just yet because it would be a big pain if that's what he gets hooked on unless you're okay with eventually switching him to fresh killed then hopefully back to frozen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Smitty33 (07-26-2016)

Thanks

Sounds like a good old fashioned BP hunger strike. My male normal does it always has he's 1100+ and an 08 only eats for a couple months out of the year. Usually he'll eat hard for a month then stop for 5-8 then eat hard again for a month or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BMorrison For This Useful Post:

Smitty33 (07-26-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLou View Post
    Enclosure is nice and cluttered up? No bright lights? I agree he doesn't look too thin that I'd be overly concerned. I also wouldn't try live just yet because it would be a big pain if that's what he gets hooked on unless you're okay with eventually switching him to fresh killed then hopefully back to frozen.
    Oh yea lots of plastic plants and two good hides which he spends about 80% of his time in the cool side hide. He's always been a timid little bugger since I got him as a well started baby. I only turn his light on for a couple hours in the evening if I'm in my cave, all rest of time it's pretty much a dark room.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BMorrison View Post
    Sounds like a good old fashioned BP hunger strike. My male normal does it always has he's 1100+ and an 08 only eats for a couple months out of the year. Usually he'll eat hard for a month then stop for 5-8 then eat hard again for a month or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep I think that what I'm just going to have to deal with and come up with a better feeding regiment so I don't waste a lot of rats. Pretty soon my daughters young Mohave female will be big enough to eat small rats and I can give them to her if he doesn't eat but she's still a little small yet.
    That just adds to the frustration, my daughters Mohave and my young butter/enchi girl eat like pigs. You have to be careful feeding them as they'll come right out of their tanks striking at anything that gets close like crazy. My butter/enchi girl will even strike at the glass when I walk up with a rat in my forceps. I always sent the room good heating the thawed rodents with a blow dryer and they come unglued for food.