Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

0 members and 3,109 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

few questions about baytril

my bp got RI again after about 4-5 months without having it and i took him to the vet about a week ago for it. She gave me baytril for him (injectable baytril). And yes im about to question my vets knowledge btw.

1. do you usually have to give your bp water before you give it baytril?
    she has me giving him water by a tube that goes in his mouth and then you inject the water.

2. if so does 5ml of water seem to much for a 250 gram bp (he weighed that last time i weighed him, he might be a little bit more now) seems like it to me?
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel
    0.1 Boa (bci) 09' hypo/ghost

Thanks

Re: few questions about baytril

I don't see what the water would do( outside possible taking a chance of drowning the snakes. I cheated with a kenya sand boa since they are so small when I had this one. I took a mouse tail thaw it out and injected the baytril into the tail then trick the little guy into eating it no problem and cleared up in with in 8-10 days. I did havea lot of rodent's with no tails to feed the samller bps lol they didn't care. I do know that the batril I was given went bad after a couple weeks ( they prefilled a needle ( about 10 cc worth0 and gave me a smaller one to inject the snake wit hand I was like no can' do this i end up sticking it in the lung with my aim lol.. so I went the tail trick ( though up on my own).

I say just give the injections like told but not do the water part sicne that may make the snake go off feed more likey. I also consider doing what Idid but to use a rat tail or so . this way you know he getting some thing in hime during the time.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

she has me giving him water by a tube that goes in his mouth and then you inject the water.

She has you using water because you are giving the Baytril orally. Baytril is meant to be given intramuscular meaning injected into the muscle tissue.
    Some vets give it orally as to cause less stress to the snake. Baytril injections can cause scale burns and discomfort as it tends to burn the injection site. These are of a 30lb Burm after Baytril injections. 2 days after..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

So, what you are doing with the water is fine. It's only to dilute the taste and solution.
    I also want to add that the scales were fine after the next shed. The burn is only temporary.

Gavin
    Last edited by Gavin Cooper; 05-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Cooper View Post

She has you using water because you are giving the Baytril orally. Baytril is meant to be given intramuscular meaning injected into the muscle tissue.
    Some vets give it orally as to cause less stress to the snake. Baytril injections can cause scale burns and discomfort as it tends to burn the injection site.
    So, what you are doing with the water is fine. It's only to dilute the taste and solution.
    I also want to add that the scales were fine after the next shed. The burn is only temporary.

Gavin
    im giving the baytril by injection
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    I don't see what the water would do( outside possible taking a chance of drowning the snakes. I cheated with a kenya sand boa since they are so small when I had this one. I took a mouse tail thaw it out and injected the baytril into the tail then trick the little guy into eating it no problem and cleared up in with in 8-10 days. I did havea lot of rodent's with no tails to feed the samller bps lol they didn't care. I do know that the batril I was given went bad after a couple weeks ( they prefilled a needle ( about 10 cc worth0 and gave me a smaller one to inject the snake wit hand I was like no can' do this i end up sticking it in the lung with my aim lol.. so I went the tail trick ( though up on my own).

I say just give the injections like told but not do the water part sicne that may make the snake go off feed more likey. I also consider doing what Idid but to use a rat tail or so . this way you know he getting some thing in hime during the time.
    he can go off feed all he wants as long as he doesn't have RI i wont be as stressed as i am about it now lol.
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel

Thanks

reason also she is giving water is baytril and gentomyocin is very taxing on the kidneys, did the do a swab to detect what the bacteria is, i would swith to ceftazidime, its injected every 3 days and way leess taxing on kidneys and can even be given to gravid females wont affect rproductive system. although you should have a swab done to be sure the antibiotic used is the right one, but he extra water will help flush kidneys. saline is sometimes injected sub q also to assist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AWESOM-O 3000 View Post
    im giving the baytril by injection
    Your OP says that you are injecting the water which is running into the snakes mouth.. To me this is orally..

If you are indeed injecting the baytril into the snakes muscle tissue with a needle I would not bother with the water.

I have used Baytril many times and have never heard of water being used or needed.

Gavin
    Last edited by Gavin Cooper; 05-02-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin cooper View Post
    your op says that you are injecting the water which is running into the snakes mouth.. To me this is orally..

If you are indeed injecting the baytril into the snakes muscle tissue with a needle i would not bother with the water.

I have used baytril many times and have never heard of water being used or needed.

Gavin
    x2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Cooper View Post
    Your OP says that you are injecting the water which is running into the snakes mouth.. To me this is orally..

If you are indeed injecting the baytril into the snakes muscle tissue with a needle I would not bother with the water.

I have used Baytril many times and have never heard of water being used or needed.

Gavin
    I am using a tube that goes down the snakes throat. once its down the throat I inject 5 ml of water. Then after holding him upright for 5 minutes (so he dosent regurge the water) I then inject .05 ml of baytril into the upper 1/3 of the snakes body into the muscle tissue. I repeat every 48 hours. (just to clear things up)
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kjay View Post
    reason also she is giving water is baytril and gentomyocin is very taxing on the kidneys, did the do a swab to detect what the bacteria is, i would swith to ceftazidime, its injected every 3 days and way leess taxing on kidneys and can even be given to gravid females wont affect rproductive system. although you should have a swab done to be sure the antibiotic used is the right one, but he extra water will help flush kidneys. saline is sometimes injected sub q also to assist
    By "swab" I assume you mean the throat culture?
    The problem with that is my vet wants to charge over $230.00 for that, and im 15 years old, and i dont expect my parents to pay for my snakes. So im just going to have to use baytril for him.
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast