Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

2 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Horrible way to handle. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Did I say you could come here and dog Snakebytes :-O ;-)
    Sorry, Mastah ;P

- - - Updated - - -

(I'm not really sorry ;P)
    Mine's bigger.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Snakebytes is great. As they look to scale, it runs the terrible risk of following standard reality TV rules. This is how television is made. I much prefer the human antics for sensational entertainment value than the 'DINO WRASTLIN' mentality you see out of this video and PP as a business in general - I think the highlight on PP illustrates the direction these videos are headed, which may cause me to alter my opinion from the first sentence here.

Kenan -"This animal is not a pet"

How does a business that sells large constrictors publish this kind of comment to their own community?
    Last edited by MrLang; 08-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

I have two inputs. One, if your trying to influence positive opinion into the hobby or increase interest in wildlife, maybe not use a possibly aggressive snake that could scare your audience. Two, i have yet to see Brian manhandle a snake. I could be wrong but usually he directs the snakes attention away from his hand that he picks the snake up with then handles it carefully or handles longer snakes from the tail all the while showing that even dangerous snakes can be handle safely and be a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    I have two inputs. One, if your trying to influence positive opinion into the hobby or increase interest in wildlife, maybe not use a possibly aggressive snake that could scare your audience. Two, i have yet to see Brian manhandle a snake. I could be wrong but usually he directs the snakes attention away from his hand that he picks the snake up with then handles it carefully or handles longer snakes from the tail all the while showing that even dangerous snakes can be handle safely and be a lot of fun.
    Agreed, even when he takes the infamous Satin out he doesn't grab his head. That's a truly agressive snake, and still doesn't need to be handled the way this calm tiger was.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (08-24-2014),Mike41793 (08-22-2014)

Thanks

Wow I couldn't even finish watching that. That beautiful animal reacted that way because he grabbed behind its head. I'm sure it would have been just fine if he would have just picked it up. Really shows how UN professional he is.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    I usually like this channel. Usually.

Kenan seemed like a real panzee in this one, not so much of a theatrical drama queen but it just seemed like everyone was being inexperienced sissies and really could have done a better job.

Of course, it could have always been worst. I personally hate Crittacam for this unholy piece of ****:
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 08-24-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Agreed 100%. If the guy is in over his head then he needs to realize that, he has no business caring for that snake. On a side note I was also a little disappointed with this weeks SnakeBytes episode as well, Brian built up PP like it was an amazing facility. I have been to the "reptile zoo", the husbandry is terrible, the facility is filthy, most of the repitles on display had mites there are always ants and other bugs climbing in the enclosure and on the animals themselves, the cages are way too small, the staff giving out info was not knowledgeable and they are quick to tell you that the animals on display are also for sale, the list goes on. Even my son who is 6 knew enough to say, "these cages are way too small, all the animals look sick". As an example they had 2 adult rhino iguanas in a tiny (I believe it was a 4x2x2 may have been a 6x2x2) melamine and glass cage and that theme tracked through the entire "zoo". If you spend 10 minutes searching for reviews online you see years and years of the same complaints.
    The thing that stood out to my most about this week's SBTV episode was seeing all those iguanas in the background in cages more appropriately sized for a hamster or maybe a smallish guinea pig. I've never heard of the place before, but a place that specializes in reptiles should at least know what size environments are appropriate for large arboreal lizards and which ones are downright cruel. You would think Brian would have known better considering his past episodes about Florida herpers that keep iguana species in outdoor enclosures the size of dog runs.

I haven't watched much of Kenan's show, and what I did see gave me the impression that he's more of a turtle guy. Obviously not very experienced at handling snakes, as he looked ready to fill his pants through the whole video. Having believed all the hype about ABTV when it was in the works, I have to say that videos like these are a big disappointment. May as well go back to watching Animal Planet for the same kind of content.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    The thing that stood out to my most about this week's SBTV episode was seeing all those iguanas in the background in cages more appropriately sized for a hamster or maybe a smallish guinea pig. I've never heard of the place before, but a place that specializes in reptiles should at least know what size environments are appropriate for large arboreal lizards and which ones are downright cruel. You would think Brian would have known better considering his past episodes about Florida herpers that keep iguana species in outdoor enclosures the size of dog runs.

I haven't watched much of Kenan's show, and what I did see gave me the impression that he's more of a turtle guy. Obviously not very experienced at handling snakes, as he looked ready to fill his pants through the whole video. Having believed all the hype about ABTV when it was in the works, I have to say that videos like these are a big disappointment. May as well go back to watching Animal Planet for the same kind of content.
    Even watching snakebytes shows that Brian doesn't know lizard husbandry, and it is a common topic on the monitor forums...he has water monitors in tiny screen cages that cant hold humidity...beardies and leos in racks and now he is getting into BTS...I assume those will go in racks as well
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

I usually enjoy snake bytes and the shows animal bytes present. But this one did make me mad. Along with the critta cam one previously stated. Kenan is more if a turtle guy and I feel if he was that scared he shouldn't of dealt with a large constrictor. But about Brian and lizards. His monitors are kept in horribly small cages and he isn't very good with handling them. And beardies and BTS shouldn't be keep in racks however I don't see the problem with Leo's.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Does he really keep those 3 alligators in that kiddy pool?
    Using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast