Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,426

1 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Super Champagne Question

I read about the super champagnes Dave Green produced and that they didn't live very long unfortunately. I have not been able to find much info other than that. Have there been any others that were produced, if so we're the results the same? Has anyone tried to produce one with other genes to see if the other gene somehow helps? If a breeding project could result in a 15% chance of a super champagne being hatched should the project be avoided?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    They are part of the Pearl (hidden gene woma spider, woma, sable) complex. So unfortunately 99% of them end up dying not long after hatching, and those that survive have severe neurological problems
    Last edited by ajmreptiles; 06-29-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks
    If I recall, there have been other super champagnes that have been hatched with the same results and no one has tried adding genes to it as far as I know. The champagne is a homozygous lethal so it should generally be avoided. Even if the chance is slim there is always the possibility your entire clutch will be super champagnes and as a result, unviable. Though it is an extremely small chance of such a thing happening it doesn't mean it can't. Champagne to champagne should generally be avoided.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Super Champ is lethal none have been known to survive, and stacking up gene will not change anything just like it does not change anything in other mutations that have issues, multiple gene spider combos still wobble, multiple gene super black pastel combos are still prone to kinking and duck billing.

http://owalreptiles.com/issues.php
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-29-2016),asplundii (04-24-2017),bcr229 (06-29-2016),D_ONE (07-01-2016),Eric Alan (06-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: Super Champagne Question

Quote Originally Posted by ajmreptiles View Post
    They are part of the Pearl (hidden gene woma spider, woma, sable) complex. So unfortunately 99% of them end up dying not long after hatching, and those that survive have severe neurological problems
    Where are the breedings to prove any of the morphs mentioned are in the same complex?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

kxr (04-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    Where are the breedings to prove any of the morphs mentioned are in the same complex?
    I misinterpreted the information I have believing it to be a complex but it does all come from Kevin McCurley.

It does not combine well with morphs such as Spider, Woma, HG Woma, and Sable. The resulting combos generally arrive with fatal neurological issues. - Kevin McCurley on champagne The Ultimate Ball Python: Morph Maker Guide
    The next quote was during an interview on the Herp Herp Hooray podcast in which they were talking about lethal genes and Pearls in perticular
    "I can breed it(HG Woma) to a champagne and make Pearls"

Thanks
    The theory is that they are allelic but the only plausible way to prove it, I think, would be to breed them to black heads and then breed those to normals because from what I've seen/heard black head and spider are allelic and spider is supposed to be allelic with the rest of those morphs. So yeah...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    A simple allelic combo x normal pairing normally proves it, if not a few pairings do. I've never heard of any of the combos above proving that in some way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    A simple allelic combo x normal pairing normally proves it, if not a few pairings do. I've never heard of any of the combos above proving that in some way.
    https://jkrballstreetjournal.com/201...-ball-pythons/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3FG_QXEf8&app=desktop

From these two I gathered that spider and black head are allelic but without first hand experience myself I could always be wrong.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Thirty For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (07-01-2016),OhhWatALoser (07-04-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-Thirty View Post
    https://jkrballstreetjournal.com/201...-ball-pythons/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3FG_QXEf8&app=desktop

From these two I gathered that spider and black head are allelic but without first hand experience myself I could always be wrong.
    This is some interesting stuff. I was totally unaware of it. If I had to bet I would have said the this group of genes were allelic however I did not think there was a way to prove it. I didn't realize blackhead was involved in the mentioned grouping. This changes my though process a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast