Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

1 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

New bp won't go into hide?

So I just got a new BP this morning. He is gorgeous and looks healthy. He is a baby btw. He refuses to go into the hide it seems. He seemed to go around his tub and lays on top but he won't go inside.
    Temps go between 88-91 where the hide is. I'm not new to bps. But I'm used to my bps hiding always lol. So it makes me worried something is wrong. Let me know.

Thanks

Re: New bp won't go into hide?

Quote Originally Posted by JGB24 View Post
    So I just got a new BP this morning. He is gorgeous and looks healthy. He is a baby btw. He refuses to go into the hide it seems. He seemed to go around his tub and lays on top but he won't go inside.
    Temps go between 88-91 where the hide is. I'm not new to bps. But I'm used to my bps hiding always lol. So it makes me worried something is wrong. Let me know.
    Probably just checking out his new home. My newest (I've had him 1 week) took awhile to adjust to the changes before he found the hide and used it. (I'm fairly new to BPs so if I'm wrong someone please correct me)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Some of mine were weird when they were first introduced to their homes. They wouldn't use their hides either until I picked them up and kinda directed them towards the hide letting them slither into it and once they went in they would use it. For some of them I think you just have to introduce them to the hide, it's weird, it's like they are afraid to go inside but once they know it's okay in there then you can't get them out of there lol. Try it and see if it works and also make sure your hides are nice a snug. I've also noticed that mine will not use a hide that isn't snug so they will just lay out in the open since they feel that way when they are in a hide that is too big. So if your hide isn't tight enough you can add in some crumpled newspaper to take up the space and then take some away as they grow into the hide. Hope all this is helpful keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JGB24 View Post
    What kind of hide is it? Is it new, or have you had it a while?

I bought a couple of new hides one time. The snakes wouldn't go in them. No idea why. I ran them through the dishwasher, suddenly all was well. I can only guess that it had some new hide smell they weren't too happy about.

May not be the problem, but I figured I'd toss that out there.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-01-2014),Tiffanie (10-03-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisFitzy View Post
    Some of mine were weird when they were first introduced to their homes. They wouldn't use their hides either until I picked them up and kinda directed them towards the hide letting them slither into it and once they went in they would use it. For some of them I think you just have to introduce them to the hide, it's weird, it's like they are afraid to go inside but once they know it's okay in there then you can't get them out of there lol. Try it and see if it works and also make sure your hides are nice a snug. I've also noticed that mine will not use a hide that isn't snug so they will just lay out in the open since they feel that way when they are in a hide that is too big. So if your hide isn't tight enough you can add in some crumpled newspaper to take up the space and then take some away as they grow into the hide. Hope all this is helpful keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did try putting him in the hide. He would not have it. I'm pretty sure the hide is reasonably snug. I'll double check. But it's the smallest hide I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    What kind of hide is it? Is it new, or have you had it a while?

I bought a couple of new hides one time. The snakes wouldn't go in them. No idea why. I ran them through the dishwasher, suddenly all was well. I can only guess that it had some new hide smell they weren't too happy about.

May not be the problem, but I figured I'd toss that out there.
    The hide is old. I've had it for a long time. But maybe when I cleaned it it left a smell on it. I'll clean it again more thoroughly and make sure it's been rinsed clean.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Relax! It could take a week or so before your snake starts to calm down. The more you bother it and change things the longer it will take.

My advice, look - but don't touch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Relax! It could take a week or so before your snake starts to calm down. The more you bother it and change things the longer it will take.

My advice, look - but don't touch.
    Yea that's what I usually do. I'm sure it's fine. He's just an expensive little guy and I don't want anything to happen to him.

Thanks
    when i got a hide from a friend i soaked it in the sink with vinegar and water. as thats what i was told to use. my bp i got yesterday so far only uses the one hide

Thanks

It took awhile for my 5 m old BP to go in her second hide...she had outgrown her little one, it was sitting on top of her like a shell lol. Once she decided no predators lurked in there she loves it

Molly & Steve
    0.1 Normal BP. PRECIOUCESS
    0.1 Normal Columbian BCI. LUNA