Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

0 members and 2,999 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Exclamation somethings off with my ball python any advice?

im always checking up on my athena, shes 3 years old, bought her couple months ago at pet smart. she sheds fine, she poops fine, only problem recently is that i cant believe im saying this but mites..!yes mites, so im pretty good at taking them out, but something its just too dam dificult geting inside her eyelids. i use this special flat small aluminum ish paper slides perfectly fine under her eyelid and i dig them out, shes calm, no harm, but my other problem is they hide in her heat pits, and i cant dig those out sometimes. ive tried drowning them with her nostrils just above water to breath and still somehow they survived. anyways im in the search of a mite repellent or treatment since its just been happening for a month or so. now my true worries is, taking alook inside her mouth too see if the damn mites did some damage, and i found some red dots..and her back throat is a little red i have no clue what they or that means, there are no mucus or cloggyness around in her mouth as u can see in the pics, or any bubles around her gums, but her right gum is just starting to look a little purple?? im trying to be very precautious incase anything is going to happen. i keep her in a 40g tank, cold side 75f, hot side 88f with an undermat heat pad. ever since those mites appeared ive had to take everything out until i finally get rid of them off athena, so i currently have her living in the cold side but with a lamp, it stays about 77f. shel be fine thats not my worries. il also post pics of all the furniture i took out to clean, and how empty the tank looks without any bedding and what not. anyways i hope someone can advice me in something, just to be precautious.
    thanks in advance, seb.

to view the pictures below right click each image and click open image in a new page!
    pics here u can see inside her mouth

curently trying to get rid of mites so her tank is kinda empty here

this is what her tank used to look like until i encountered those little beasts..
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-30-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Language

Thanks
    in the last pic of the row of 5 pics, u can clearly see 3 red dots.

Thanks

Unhappy anyone wana help me out ? thanks in advance

im always checking up on my athena, shes 3 years old, bought her couple months ago at petsmart. she sheds fine, she poops fine, only problem recently is that i cant believe im saying this but mites..!yes mites, so im pretty good at taking them out, but something its just too darn difficult getting inside her eyelids. i use this special flat small aluminum ish paper slides perfectly fine under her eyelid and i dig them out, shes calm, no harm, but my other problem is they hide in her heat pits, and i cant dig them out sometimes. ive tried drowning them with her nostrils just above water so she can breath and still somehow they survived. anyways im in the search of a mite repellent or treatment since its just been happening for a month or so. now my true worries is taking alook inside her mouth too see if the darn mites did some damage, and i found some red dots..and her back throat is a little red i have no clue what they or that means, there are no mucus or cloggyness around in her mouth as u can see in the pics, or any bubles around her gums, but her right gum is just starting to look a little purple?? im trying to be very precautious incase anything is going to happen. i keep her in a 40g tank, cold side 75f, hot side 88f with an undermat heat pad. ever since those mites appeared ive had to take everything out until i finally get rid of them off athena, so i currently have her living in the cold side but with a lamp, it stays about 77f. shel be fine thats not my worries. il also post pics of all the furniture i took out to clean, and how empty the tank looks without any bedding and what not. anyways i hope someone can advice me in something, just to be precautious.
    thanks, seb.

to view the pictures below right click each image and click open image in a new page!
    pics here u can see inside her mouth. pic #5 shows clearly 3 red dots

curently trying to get rid of mites so her tank is kinda empty here

this is what her tank used to look like until i encountered those little beasts..
    Last edited by gogy55; 01-30-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In an effort to keep this forum organised and clutter free both thread were merged in the appropriated forum, there is no need to create multiple identical threads in different forums, all you need is to be patient and wait for answers.

Thank you.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: somethings off with my ball python any advice?

Get prevent o mite and skip picking mites out of its eyes. I'd hate to see you injure your snake
    1.0 lesser yellowbelly
    1.0 banana
    1.0 black pastel
    0.1 lesserbee (Alice)
    1.0 firefly (cranky Frankie)
    0.1 fire (Dottie)
    0.1 het clown
    1.0 double het pied/clown (Stryker)
    1.0 bearded dragon (Ziggy)
    0.1 sulcata (Ellie)
    1.0 mini schnauzer (Bailey)
    1.0 b rainbow boa (Trip)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    To be honest, mites are a pain, but rarely fatal. You must keep her warm however, she does not need the added stress of cool temps while she's fighting the mites. The best snake safe proven mite treatment is Provent a Mite. It can be ordered online and purchased at some reptile specialty stores. Follow the label directions carefully, a little bit goes a long way. You also will be treating the tub/tank and surrounding areas, and not the snake herself with this product. If you notice a large number of mites on her during treatment, you can wash her gently with warm water and baby shampoo. The shampoo helps to dislodge the mites and is safe for her as long as you don't get it in her mouth or nostrils. Treatment will need to be repeated at 2 week intervals for at least 3 treatments to insure all eggs and immature mites are killed, or you'll end up right back where you started from.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

7. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

The Golem (01-31-2015)

Thanks

Re: somethings off with my ball python any advice?

Another product that is more readily available, is a product by Natural Chemistry called Reptile Spray. You can find it at Petco. It may not be as potent as Provent a mite, but you can use it directly on your snake. As well as run down to the store and buy some rather than waiting for shipping.

Thanks
    thanks guys, but doesnt anyone find anything wrong with those red dots?? anyways im gona keep an eye out for them everyday.

Thanks
    picture i took today of her throat, now idk is those red dots and red string at the back healthy? could it have been the mites ? would they be able to bite inside of her mouth??