Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,482

5 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My BP thinks I'm food! :(

I would like to encourage people to read this with an open mind, know that I am coming from a good place and am seeking to improve my current situation:

I have a male ball python that I raised from about a foot long. I have had him now 7-8 years! For the first 4 years I really enjoyed him as a pet. I would do all the 'right things' he was out of his tank often, I used a separate tank for feeding etc. it was nice that he was so comfortable being handled, and I was enjoying having him as a pet. Unfortunately, and sadly, he was neglected for a few years while I was in school. Also during this time I got a cat and was more and more hesitant to take my snake out with the cat around. These things together and laziness on my part, I began to neglect bringing him to a different tank for feeding. Anyway you can imagine how he has become... After being bit 3-4 times trying to take him out of his tank I am literally afraid of him and he stays in his tank all the time. I understand that he must think everything coming into his tank is food for him, but Im not sure what to do! The bottom line is that I want my snake friend back! Does anyone have tips or tricks on re-socializing a ball python? Is there hope? Is my only option re-homing him? I really would prefer not to re-home him, I even consider paying an expert to start the re-socialization process... If there is such a person! Please no negativity, I have been hard enough on myself about this, I just want to do right by him now. Thanks :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: My BP thinks I'm food! :(

What does he weigh, what type/size prey and how often are you feeding him? He could be hungry...

You could get a snake hook and use it to remove him from the tank...

You really don't have to handle them much...Just give them food, water, and a clean enclosure and they are happy!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with feeding in the tank. I know most people will try and tell you this but it is untrue from what I've seen. I have fed my snake in his tank since I got him, even though at the pet store they switched him into a container for feeding and I have had 0 issues with opening the tank.

Is he biting out of defense or out of a feeding response?

You can try hook training your python and tapping him with a hook to get him out of feeding mode if he seems to associate you with food. Handling him more may help if it's been a few years so that he can get used to being handled again.
    -------
    1.0 Normal (100% Het. Albino) - Kaa
    1.0 Pastel Pied - Maxie

Thanks

How often is he fed? IME feeding the snake in it's enclosure does not cause any aggression spot clean their tub. However, if the snake is hungry and used to being fed live prey, than they may instinctively respond to the heat signature of your hand by striking.

Husbandry could also be the issue. Does your BP have multiple hides in his enclosure so that he can feel secure? What's your set up like (substrate, temps, etc)?
    Last edited by ginja ninja; 07-26-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    If you're not handling him much, or the only time he gets handled is when he eats, then my guess is he's learned to associate handling with feeding and so he strikes at your hands when you pull him out of his enclosure now. This is why keepers now feed in the regular enclosure, the snake knows that if he's being removed from the enclosure, then he's not getting fed.

I agree with Cyncy's suggestion to hook train him. Also, I would suggest washing your hands in very cold water just before you open his enclosure so they don't give off much heat.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-27-2014),ispitroseas (07-27-2014)

Thanks

There's a lot of great advice here. One thing I didn't really see mentioned was also be confident in your sessions. Worrying will not only make you warmer thus giving off a stronger heat signature, but you are more prone to accidents. While your snake may strike at you, if you simply take it, you can avoid jerking back and hurting yourself and the snake. Also ime it's not too painful, I have hands down received more damage from cats. Although I do not own and have not handled any HUGE snakes

Thanks
    ime, that kind of behavior is usually just feeding response.
    first, make sure your snake is not hungry, then follow the advice about using a snake hook....

- - - Updated - - -

ime, that kind of behavior is usually just feeding response.
    first, make sure your snake is not hungry, then follow the advice about using a snake hook....
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Thanks

Confidence, man. If you are afraid of your snake it is training you to not pick him up.
    So, either accept that you are going to get bit, which can be difficult for many. Even if they have velco teeth. Or use a glove or snake hook to retrieve the animal and do not reward any aggression with a quick return to an enclosure.
    These snakes are not athletes, they will tire pretty quickly.
    Since your snake was great handling wise before you can remain optomistic that he will be again as it isn't one of the occassional ":cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:" snakes we sometimes come across. Luckily some people enjoy the feistier critters for there attitude all the more anyway.

Thanks
    I love them feisty , it makes it more fun and more of a rush to handle them ! I don't know that's just me I'm a thrill seeker! OK well ime I have had only one bp who was quite the little devil and still is, to handle him I just man up, figure I'm going to get bit or I'm not there is no what if this and what if that! Pick him up he will be fine once he is in your hand, and if he isn't hold him with one hand get his attention with the other and have a little fun ! Getting bit is such a quick thing you sometimes don't even realize you where bit! I don't know man I just personally like feisty!
    Last edited by ZacharyPoller; 07-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Piebald, 1.0 Barnhart Line Pewter, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Pastel ???,
    0.1 Butter Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 1.0 Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 0.1 Normal

Reticulated Python: 1.0 Tiger het albino

Kingsnake: 0.1 Albino Vertical Stripe

Boas: 0.1 Motley Nicaraguan Boa, 1.0 Colombian Boa

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZacharyPoller For This Useful Post:

ispitroseas (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Does he still continue to snap at you once you've gotten him out of the tank, or is it only when you reach in? I like the hook idea as well as the gloves if you're nervous about being bitten. I would tend to agree that perhaps he's too hungry, I remember one episode of Snakebytes where they showed a montage of feeding and those snakes were just launching themselves out of the tub to get the rat/rabbit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast