Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

2 members and 2,987 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Stressed while handling?

I've had my juvenile ball for 3 months now, and she is a very good eater, sleeps all day and night in her hiding spot, sometimes getting up to drink, so overall a happy ball. The stress however is when I take her out. I know she's young (around 6 months if I had to guess) , but I try to take her out everyday (except for 2 days after feeding or while she's in deep shed) but somehow she is still stressed out when I take her out. She has various moods when I take her out though. Sometimes she balls up and pokes out her head a little but does nothing besides that, other times she frantically tries to get away. Now to think of it I don't think she's really ever been casually meandering and exploring. It's starting to hurt my feelings haha. I know people say snakes just "tolerate" being held, but I want her to not be stressed when I do! Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Stressed while handling?

How long are you handling her in each session ? I have one albino male who no matter what tries to escape . Others are just content to sit and relax while I watch tv . They all really do have there own personalities

Sent from my iPhone
    dustinf860@gmail.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin860 For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-30-2016)

Thanks

Sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes an hour or so depending on how much time I have

Thanks
    In my opinion that's to much for them. Taking a BP out everyday is stressful for them. They need time to de stress.
    Maybe try handling less frequently and see if you get a better response.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scottywelsh View Post
    In my opinion that's to much for them. Taking a BP out everyday is stressful for them. They need time to de stress.
    Not true from my experience and many others on here. Short but frequent handling sessions are always better than longer infrequent ones. We know that reptiles learn mainly through associations, and frequency of handling is going to help cement in the animal's mind that you are benevolent and pose no threat.

Just because a BP balls up doesnt necessarily mean that it is overly stressed. Balling up is a mechanism the animal uses when responding to environmental stimuli that could possibly pose a threat. I would be more worried if the snake was striking constantly, or attempting to escape while being handled. Only consistent positive experiences with your snake is going to create the necessary trust.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

LadyEnfinity (06-03-2016),Sp0rk (05-30-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scottywelsh View Post
    I went through a time when I was very busy and only got to hold her once a week, and she would tense up and get spooked super easily and ball up in a tight ball, even when I set her out side of her hide. She's fairs much better when I hold her more often. But still I wish we could get rid of the stress all together

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Balling up is a mechanism the animal uses when responding to environmental stimuli that could possibly pose a threat. I would be more worried if the snake was striking constantly, or attempting to escape while being handled. Only consistent positive experiences with your snake is going to create the necessary trust.
    If she gets the courage to unball, all she does is try to escape from my hands. I handle her gently with two hands, not restricting her movement at all and she does crazy stuff like trying to flip her self over to escape. I don't understand

Thanks
    Sorry I missed that part in your first thread. I really think this is still just part of being a young BP who maybe has some fearful tendencies. Once the animal gets a bit older, puts some weight on, and has some time to get used to you I would bet that things get better. Some snakes never fully become 'puppy tame' but with consistent handling it always gets better.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-30-2016),Sp0rk (05-31-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sp0rk View Post
    I've had my juvenile ball for 3 months now, and she is a very good eater, sleeps all day and night in her hiding spot, sometimes getting up to drink, so overall a happy ball. The stress however is when I take her out. I know she's young (around 6 months if I had to guess) , but I try to take her out everyday (except for 2 days after feeding or while she's in deep shed) but somehow she is still stressed out when I take her out. She has various moods when I take her out though. Sometimes she balls up and pokes out her head a little but does nothing besides that, other times she frantically tries to get away. Now to think of it I don't think she's really ever been casually meandering and exploring. It's starting to hurt my feelings haha. I know people say snakes just "tolerate" being held, but I want her to not be stressed when I do! Any tips or tricks? Thanks!
    I have a 6 month old boy some 3 months ago. He was really tense and struck several times at first. Over time with frequent handling (maybe once or twice a week for 10 mins each time), he seems to be slightly better. He does however try to squirm out of my hands when he sees a chance. Hopefully he will grow up to be like my 9 month old girl. She's very tame

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to djstarfall For This Useful Post:

Sp0rk (05-31-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Not true from my experience and many others on here. Short but frequent handling sessions are always better than longer infrequent ones. We know that reptiles learn mainly through associations, and frequency of handling is going to help cement in the animal's mind that you are benevolent and pose no threat.

Just because a BP balls up doesnt necessarily mean that it is overly stressed. Balling up is a mechanism the animal uses when responding to environmental stimuli that could possibly pose a threat. I would be more worried if the snake was striking constantly, or attempting to escape while being handled. Only consistent positive experiences with your snake is going to create the necessary trust.

By less frequently I ment not every day.
    Mine all come out every other day when I get the chance for abut 20 mins. I probably should have worded that better but I didn't mean for you to only take them out once a week or less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast