Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

1 members and 3,105 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry At a loss over my snake's eating habits!

I don't understand my snake. Last year he fasted for 5 months but when he started eating, he ate everything I offered. He did the same thing this year, fasted for 6 months, ate one dead gerbil and wants nothing to do with anything. He is healthy looking but on the thinner side. I don't know what to do anymore, I am at a loss. The enclosure temp is 79 and humidity 55% ... he has a hide with a low heater under it, a cool side, water, a tree (which he is in right now)... he cannot live off one gerbil in 7 months! WTF am I supposed to do? This guy almost always eats live but his last meal was fresh killed gerbil as he wouldn't eat any mice or rats... the last fresh killed gerbil he didn't want ... I have no access to fancy animals at this time... its mice, gerbils or rats! The worst part is, I have to move this week and will be on the road for a few weeks with him! So he surely wont eat. I have two small live rats right now but he is just not interested. HELP

Thanks

Re: At a loss over my snake's eating habits!

just put a live young rat in there and he isn't even smelling (yes I am right here watching)... just sitting like king snake in the tree ... this move is stressful enough without this non-eating family member doing this to me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle85 View Post
    I don't understand my snake. Last year he fasted for 5 months but when he started eating, he ate everything I offered. He did the same thing this year, fasted for 6 months, ate one dead gerbil and wants nothing to do with anything. He is healthy looking but on the thinner side. I don't know what to do anymore, I am at a loss. The enclosure temp is 79 and humidity 55% ... he has a hide with a low heater under it, a cool side, water, a tree (which he is in right now)... he cannot live off one gerbil in 7 months! WTF am I supposed to do? This guy almost always eats live but his last meal was fresh killed gerbil as he wouldn't eat any mice or rats... the last fresh killed gerbil he didn't want ... I have no access to fancy animals at this time... its mice, gerbils or rats! The worst part is, I have to move this week and will be on the road for a few weeks with him! So he surely wont eat. I have two small live rats right now but he is just not interested. HELP
    Try bumping up your temp.on the warm side to at least 90-93 and 80 on the cool side your humidity is fine sense he didn't eat today try again in a week.The temps I'm giving you is what I keep my BP's at and they eat every week.Also try feeding early evening or at night.
    Last edited by LanceM; 07-24-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks

wow thats a bit warm but I will give it a shot I guess... I figured he was in his tree to keep cool ... things were going so well with this snake until he matured, he's 6 years old now

Thanks

Please keep me updated so I now if he eats good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LanceM For This Useful Post:

Michelle85 (07-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Mine did the same thing a couple years ago once he hit 5years old. Went on a 7 month fast and then started taking large mice, then two mice, and then rats again. Did the same thing this year again but got him eating after 5 months, refused a few weeks, ate again, refused, ate. Just be patient and it will come around. Mine just refused the last two feedings in a row and then slammed a medium rat last night. Picky little guy but he's in great shape and never lost too much weight during his hunger strikes. Did get a tad on the slim side but he's packed on a couple hundred grams in the last few months. Super annoying and stressful at times but it will eat when it wants to! Hang in there!
    Last edited by jmcrook; 07-24-2016 at 02:01 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (07-24-2016),Michelle85 (07-24-2016)

Thanks

will do... he is alert right now but no interest in the rodent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Mine did the same thing a couple years ago once he hit 5years old. Went on a 7 month fast and then started taking large mice, then two mice, and then rats again. Did the same thing this year again but got him eating after 5 months, refused a few weeks, ate again, refused, ate. Just be patient and it will come around. Mine just refused the last two feedings in a row and then slammed a medium rat last night. Picky little guy but he's in great shape and never lost too much weight during his hunger strikes. Did get a tad on the slim side but he's packed on a couple hundred grams in the last few months. Super annoying and stressful at times but it will eat when it wants to! Hang in there!

It is stressful because all my other pets eat and I am one of those pet owners who make sure everyone has enough food, clean living space and cold clean water. He is a great snake, he is just damn picky! This is my first snake and I thought "oh just throw a dead rat in there every week or so" ... um NO, he likes to kill his food and colours matter at certain times, different species matter at certain times and sometimes nothing matters ... I have brought him to the vet a few times only to have the doctor play with him and charge me 80 bucks. He looks healthy, nice colour, clear eyes, decent girth but a bit on the boney side on the back. I will post pics a bit later.

Thanks

wow thats a bit warm but I will give it a shot I guess... I figured he was in his tree to keep cool ... things were going so well with this snake until he matured, he's 6 years old now
    93 and 80 isn't too hot. What's the temperature of the warm side currently? If it's 79 that's WAY too cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dezoruba For This Useful Post:

Michelle85 (07-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

It is stressful because all my other pets eat and I am one of those pet owners who make sure everyone has enough food, clean living space and cold clean water. He is a great snake, he is just damn picky! This is my first snake and I thought "oh just throw a dead rat in there every week or so" ... um NO, he likes to kill his food and colours matter at certain times, different species matter at certain times and sometimes nothing matters ... I have brought him to the vet a few times only to have the doctor play with him and charge me 80 bucks. He looks healthy, nice colour, clear eyes, decent girth but a bit on the boney side on the back. I will post pics a bit later.
    Yep! Ball Pythons can be super finicky like that. When mine is coming off of his winter hunger strike he will generally only take a much smaller meal (large mouse vs medium rat) and will only do so later in the evening. He's only fasted like that the last two years. In the 5 years previous I can only recall maybe once or twice that he refused food. Sometimes they just get up to a certain weight and their feeding habits change dramatically. The first time he fasted it was 7 months, and I was at my wits end. Gave his cage a full cleaning and he ate later that night. Tried the same thing during this years fast and he still refused. Just make notes of when and what you offer at feeding time and keep an eye on its weight. Hope it eats soon!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Michelle85 (07-29-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast