Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

1 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Brand New Ball Owner

So i turned 21 yesterday and have wanted a ball for about 6 years now and my fiance surprised me after work with one at the house! she bought this snake from petland and bought a 20 gallon tank with my male BP. it came with a small hide rock which i keep on the cool side, a small watering dish, and she bought a large hide with a UTP and a day/night light. Ive read a lot about them and was asking for some guidance or tips on what i think i know.
    So first off i only have a thermometer on his cool side which runs 74-80 degrees ( i know this is low but im currently looking on the internet for a heating lamp, any suggestions would be helpful) while his under hide pad is a eko terra heat wave desert small pad. i am going to use aspen bedding for Monty (his name) and that is what i currently have (with 4 mice frozen but he was fed at the store on sunday). the tank is also a open screen top with a locking system.
    what i know i need is a larger watering dish for him to lay in, a bigger spray bottle to spray the tank and keep the humidity up (spray a few times a day) and also cover part of the tank on top to help keep humidity higher. i plan to get a bucket to keep for him to feed in every week when i feed him and also plan to completely clean the entire tank (5% bleach on everything but toys and fixtures, hot water and soap for those) every 3 weeks or so while spot cleaning when necessary. i also know that i need a climbing toy for his cool side for him to explore on and things.
    But other than that is there anything else that i need?
    also i have had him out a few times (4 times for short periods, no more than 15 min per) and was wondering if that's to much, i know you should only have him out a few times a week where he is young but for how long? he has showed fangs to my fiances best friend (she smokes so i assume he doesn't like her because of this) and today (i think he yawned, but he opened his mouth at me when i had him out, the same time he showed his fangs to her friend) and when i put him on top of his hide rock when i pulled my hand away he jerked his head quickly. is this bad? should i be worried of aggression?
    and finally, yesterday and last night he was out and active while today he has been under his hide curled up and went right back under even when his night light went on, no drink, nothing, is that normal? thank you very much for your time!

Thanks

Re: Brand New Ball Owner

i would also like to that we live in the southern ohio region and we just run fans, no ac really, so whatever the outside air is like is pretty much our inside air.

Thanks

-Do you have a thermostat on that heat pad? Pet stores don't always tell you you need one but its important to make sure your heat pad doesn't burn your snake.
    -You may want to consider moving up to rats soon, depending on weight. Petstores often feed bps too small prey items.
    -Alot of people on the forum will tell you you don't need to feed in a separate tank. It can stress the snake out. But I do understand that it is a bit easier to clean that way However when you say "bucket" I hope you mean something with a ventilated lid. Do not underestimate snakes.
    -Do you only have one hide? Or two?
    -I'm not sure what you mean by "showing fangs". Ball pythons don't show their teeth in my experience. Can you post a picture, if you can catch it? Yawning either means they just ate or it means... nobody really knows why they do it.
    -Flinching his head away from your hand means just that. Its not really aggression, more of a "aaaah Don't touch my head you giant!" Its him starting to curl into the "ball" these pythons are famous for.
    -He'll drink when he wants to. Don't worry about him hiding too too much, its what snakes like to do.
    I hope this helps, and welcome to the addiction

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

xbigb78x (05-25-2016)

Thanks

Thank you for the reply!! I have 2 hides, identical in shape and color, one is smaller than the other and they are at opposite ends of the tank, and she described it as showing fangs. I was on the couch with my fiancé but I can see that he acts different whwn touched by her compared to how monty reacts to me. And ok! I figured he will hide as much as he feels, the heating pad runs at around 90 degrees when the heat is lost through the tank glass from the bottom. But I'm glad that him her king back does not show him being scared of me because I want him to be completely comfortable with me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timelugia View Post
    -Do you have a thermostat on that heat pad? Pet stores don't always tell you you need one but its important to make sure your heat pad doesn't burn your snake.
    -You may want to consider moving up to rats soon, depending on weight. Petstores often feed bps too small prey items.
    -Alot of people on the forum will tell you you don't need to feed in a separate tank. It can stress the snake out. But I do understand that it is a bit easier to clean that way However when you say "bucket" I hope you mean something with a ventilated lid. Do not underestimate snakes.
    -Do you only have one hide? Or two?
    -I'm not sure what you mean by "showing fangs". Ball pythons don't show their teeth in my experience. Can you post a picture, if you can catch it? Yawning either means they just ate or it means... nobody really knows why they do it.
    -Flinching his head away from your hand means just that. Its not really aggression, more of a "aaaah Don't touch my head you giant!" Its him starting to curl into the "ball" these pythons are famous for.
    -He'll drink when he wants to. Don't worry about him hiding too too much, its what snakes like to do.
    I hope this helps, and welcome to the addiction
    Also, do you think that my tank being on top of a large cedar chest is an issue?? I've had the tank in my room before I was born and know cedar shavings is toxic but didn't know if even being near it could have an effect

Thanks

As far as humidity is concerned if you don't want to be spraying 3+ times a day I'd suggest getting reptibark as substrate. I had aspen and it was a pain to keep humid. Just switched to two to reptibark and it's holding above 65% just misting once a day
    1.0 pewter bee
    1.0 banana het pied
    0.1 pied
    1.1 mahogany
    0.1 golden retriever

8. The Following User Says Thank You to usaf21stsf For This Useful Post:

xbigb78x (05-26-2016)

Thanks

Are you using stick on thermometer or digital with a probe attached? You need a digital with a probe on it bc the stick on analog are junk. You need something like the acurite 00891. I have yet to come across a heating mat that doesn't go above 90. Where are you measuring the heat mat temp? You need to put the probe of a digital thermometer right on top of the glass in middle of heat pad. You are going to need a way to regulate the heat mat and the safest is a spyder robotics Herpstat or a vivarium electronics ve-200. The snake will get burned without a regulation device. Also the day night bulb may need a dimmer on it as well. You honestly probably don't have to use it since you have the heat mat. Those bulbs are going to put out some heat. You are going to need to cover the screen top to trap humidity in, tin foil will work. Also you shouldn't handle until your snake has ate a couple times for you. You only need to feed once every 5-7 days. Here is the care sheet, read it over and make proper adjustments.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

xbigb78x (05-26-2016)

Thanks
    Couple of things.... some others have already said....

1. Your heat mat (UTH) NEEDS to be regulated. You can use a dimmer switch (available at lowes or home depot) or the best solution is a thermostat. Spend the money and get a good one now. you won't be sorry. This may be the single most important investment for your snake. Herpstat 1 would be a great choice. The Herpstats are great products.
    2. You don't need a water bowl big enough for him to lay in... so he can lay in it. If your bp is soaking in his water bowl, there are likely problems such as mites. Now, that being said, since you have an open tank, the bigger water bowl, the more humidity. With a screen top, you'll need all the help you can get. I would look for something at least 6" in diameter and 2" deep.
    3. Feeding bucket. not needed and I would suggest against it. You want your snake to feel comfortable at all times. A happy snake will eat. If you move him to a new environment, his first reaction will be fear. That will only work against you in getting him to eat. The "feeding aggression" some people associate and try to avoid by feeding in a separate tub is a myth. If you feed your bp regularly, there won't be any issues. Just feed him in his tank and it will be easier for both of you.
    4. Feeder size - I recommend buying a small kitchen scale that will weigh in grams, up to 2000-5000g. That will let you be able to weigh your snake occasionally. If you know the weight of your snake, you can find out if you're feeding enough or too much. A snake should eat around 10%-15% of their body weight each meal (at least until they're adults, then it will cut back a little). So, if your snake weighs 100g, you'll want a mouse around 10-15g. If he is young, you're probably fine with mice hoppers for now but will want to move up in size soon. They grow quick when they are young.
    5. Hides - I think it's ideal to have identical hides... one on the cool side and one on the warm side. If they are different types, the snake may favor one more than the other, and in turn, may want to stay in that hide and not move when it needs to be warmer or cooler.
    6. As you alluded to before, you'll want to cover as much of the top of the tank as you can. Plexiglass or aluminum foil is good for this. Whatever you can get to keep the humidity and heat in the tank. Just don't put anything meltable or burnable near your heat lamps on top if you have them.
    7. Lights... some people use lights for heat. that is fine for the day, but snakes need darkness at night. You're better off just using a CHE for heat around the clock. THey put off heat and no light, so they're great at night.

Most importantly.... welcome! It's a lot to take in when you're starting out... but you're asking questions so I see a happy future for you and your snake! Best of luck!!
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTreeGuy For This Useful Post:

xbigb78x (05-26-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    Couple of things.... some others have already said....

1. Your heat mat (UTH) NEEDS to be regulated. You can use a dimmer switch (available at lowes or home depot)
    im getting a very nice thermometer today after work for his warm side! with a 8watt heat pad I don't think it is getting to hot as he stays under there with no problem and moves the aspen so he lays directly on the bottom of the tank. Would a CHE above his warm side be effective? his cool side runs between 75-81 (night to day) so I know that needs to be a little higher, warm side at around 90ish.

2. With a screen top, you'll need all the help you can get. I would look for something at least 6" in diameter and 2" deep.
    Great! I'll look for this tonight at the store, petland said he was around 6 months old and he is roughly 2foot long, im buying a scale tonight also

3. Feeding bucket. not needed and I would suggest against it.
    Great! glad I don't need to worry about this.

4. Feeder size -
    I went and bought mice yesterday and they gave me(to me) medium sized white mice for him to feed, they are not bigger than his biggest part of his body so I think they are fine

7. Lights... some people use lights for heat. that is fine for the day, but snakes need darkness at night. You're better off just using a CHE for heat around the clock. THey put off heat and no light, so they're great at night.

Thank you very much for the information!
    Last edited by xbigb78x; 05-26-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xbigb78x View Post
    LittleTreeGuy

1. Your heat mat (UTH) NEEDS to be regulated. You can use a dimmer switch (available at lowes or home depot)
    im getting a very nice thermometer today after work for his warm side! with a 8watt heat pad I don't think it is getting to hot as he stays under there with no problem and moves the aspen so he lays directly on the bottom of the tank. Would a CHE above his warm side be effective? his cool side runs between 75-81 (night to day) so I know that needs to be a little higher, warm side at around 90ish.
    You need a thormostat, not a thermometer. A thermometer just tells you what temperature it is. A thermostat controls the temperature of the heat pad. And snakes will lay right on a heat pad, while it burns them severely. Just because he is laying in there does not mean that he cannot be very badly hurt by having a heat pad with unregulated temperature.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspian For This Useful Post:

xbigb78x (05-26-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast