Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,523

3 members and 1,520 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast
    Thanks
    i know my snake "loves" me ; let me elaborate. There are primarily 2 people that handle my snake, myself and my 4 year old son. My son is learning about gentle handling but he's still 4 and can be a bit... cavalier. When i hand the snake to him the snake immediately retreats to me, or if he's allowing my son to handle him but the handling gets to be a little too much (mind you, all this occurs under very close supervision) he sort of swings his head around until he sees/smells me, and make a B-line. I realize there is no affection as we understand it, but i do belive that he recognizes me as a source of safety and/or refuge when he's stressed and i think that's about as "loving" as a snake can really be.

Thanks
    To me, I think it's really ridiculous when people think that their snake loves them. Your snake isn't a dog or even a cat, he isn't capable of loving you or showing you affection. One person once told me that her snake loves her because he flicks his tongue at her lol She also told me that a snake flickering his tongue is the equivalent of a dog wagging his tail, I laughed for days lmao

I know that to Kaa, I am merely a huge creature that brings him a yummy rat pup every week and removes his stinky poos.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-19-2016),HVani (12-08-2016),Ratikal (12-26-2016),Tash (05-19-2016)

Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    One person once told me that her snake loves her because he flicks his tongue at her lol She also told me that a snake flickering his tongue is the equivalent of a dog wagging his tail, I laughed for days lmao
    lol

Registered User butterballpython's Avatar
    Thanks
    Love is one of those emotions that we all recognize, but we can't pin an exact definition on it. Try it once when you're in a group of friends. A feeling of safety in someone's presence might be counted as part of love, who knows? Do my bps love me like my collie does? No way, but there seems to be a connection between Brickle and me. He sticks his head out of his hide to look at me and likes to be held. Bubbles, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with me and likes to be left alone.
    1.0 bp butter "Brickle" the friendly explorer
    0.1 bp champagne "Bubbles" the shy one
    0.1 bp normal "Callista" the little one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to butterballpython For This Useful Post:

Ratikal (12-26-2016)

Thanks

I know that my snake does not "love" anything in the human sense of the word. Is he comfortable/unafraid when held, yes. Does he willingly come out of the hide and crawl up my arm when offered, yes. Is he probably more comfortable when I remove his mess from his cage, yes. But does he have the cerebral development to love me, nope.

Will I still use the wrong terminology when describing things he "likes", probably
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    To me, I think it's really ridiculous when people think that their snake loves them. Your snake isn't a dog or even a cat, he isn't capable of loving you or showing you affection. One person once told me that her snake loves her because he flicks his tongue at her lol She also told me that a snake flickering his tongue is the equivalent of a dog wagging his tail, I laughed for days lmao

I know that to Kaa, I am merely a huge creature that brings him a yummy rat pup every week and removes his stinky poos.
    lol this reminded me of this lady that told me that she carriers every new baby snake she buys in a sock with her so it can get comfortable and learn to love her. I can't imagine how stressful that all is to a snake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mdb730 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by butterballpython View Post
    Love is one of those emotions that we all recognize, but we can't pin an exact definition on it. Try it once when you're in a group of friends. A feeling of safety in someone's presence might be counted as part of love, who knows? Do my bps love me like my collie does? No way, but there seems to be a connection between Brickle and me. He sticks his head out of his hide to look at me and likes to be held. Bubbles, on the other hand, wants nothing to do with me and likes to be left alone.
    Actually the Greeks figured it out, courtesy of Wikipedia;

The Greek language distinguishes at least four different ways as to how the word love is used. Ancient Greek has four distinct words for love: agápe, éros, philía, and storgē. However, as with other languages, it has been historically difficult to separate the meanings of these words when used outside of their respective contexts. Nonetheless, the senses in which these words were generally used are as follows:

Agápe (ἀγάπη agápē[1]) means "love: esp. charity; the love of God for man and of man for God."[2] Agape is used in ancient texts to denote feelings for one's children and the feelings for a spouse, and it was also used to refer to a love feast.[3] Agape is used by Christians to express the unconditional love of God for his children.[4] This type of love was further explained by Thomas Aquinas as "to will the good of another."[5]
    Éros (ἔρως érōs) means "love, mostly of the sexual passion."[6] The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "intimate love." Plato refined his own definition: Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself. Plato does not talk of physical attraction as a necessary part of love, hence the use of the word platonic to mean, "without physical attraction." In the Symposium, the most famous ancient work on the subject, Plato has Socrates argue that eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth, the ideal "Form" of youthful beauty that leads us humans to feel erotic desire – thus suggesting that even that sensually based love aspires to the non-corporeal, spiritual plane of existence; that is, finding its truth, just like finding any truth, leads to transcendence.[7] Lovers and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth through the means of eros.
    Philia (φιλία philía) means "affectionate regard, friendship," usually "between equals."[8] It is a dispassionate virtuous love, a concept developed by Aristotle.[9] In his best-known work on ethics, Nicomachean Ethics, philia is expressed variously as loyalty to friends (specifically, "brotherly love"), family, and community, and requires virtue, equality, and familiarity. Furthermore, in the same text philos denotes a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers.
    Storge (στοργή storgē) means "love, affection" and "especially of parents and children"[10] It's the common or natural empathy, like that felt by parents for offspring.[11] Rarely used in ancient works, and then almost exclusively as a descriptor of relationships within the family. It is also known to express mere acceptance or putting up with situations, as in "loving" the tyrant. This is also used when referencing the love for ones country or a favorite sports team.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Ratikal (12-26-2016)

Thanks

My snakes love me!

I think that people who buy snakes as a "cool thing to look at" might think that they don't have emotions like "love". I've gotten my snakes when they were at a very young age, and they adore me. I've owned 5, and I currently have 2. I have trained the first 3 to be gentle and kind and they were adopted to families with a disabled or medically challenged child. I make sure the snakes visit at least 3 times before I let them go, and I instruct the families how to care for them. I've even gone shopping for supplies with them.
    Right now I have two boys and I can't let them go. They both love to be held, and they both go straight for my neck and my face. My pale royal enjoys it when I kiss him on his head! I think that all animals have emotions.
    Mikey and Harvey are the perfect examples!

Thanks

I think my male bp "Ra" enjoys my handling and care. I can lay my hand in his enclosure and he will come out and crawl up my arm...
    My female bp "Kali-ma" could care less and doesn't explore or enjoy being out like Ra...she could care less until she gets transferred to her feeding tank. Then she turns into a monster of rat fuzzy destruction lol
    I would say yes that snakes can show some type of emotion...most animals with a heartbeat can!

Thanks

Can't be much different than shoved in a tub without effective handling for years until its time to breed like a robot lol

Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677 LastLast