Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: T8 tank split

Thanks

T8 tank split

Hey guys so I have 2 questions. Can I split a t8 for two adults? I have a baby now. And is it normal for them to fluctuate in weight? She weighed 99 grams last week i fed her on Sunday and she ways 92 grams now. Not a huge difference but still should that be concerning at all? She's eating everytime. Seems well hydrated etc
    Out of Sight
    Out of Mind

Thanks

Re: T8 tank split

I feed her rat pinkies as of right now. Which is about the size of her widest part
    Out of Sight
    Out of Mind

Thanks
    She probably pooped!
    Yes, I think that's normal fluctuation. Just as we fluctuate, so do the snakes. It's when you start to see a pattern of it over weeks/months that it becomes an issue.

What are the dimensions of the T8? I have a divided PVC vive myself, but not the same brand. Perhaps you can order them divided, or can put in your own divider -- just make sure to secure it all around with silicon or something similar, absolutely no holes, and let it air out even beyond what is advised on the product label.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

Kalua (08-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    She probably pooped!
    Yes, I think that's normal fluctuation. Just as we fluctuate, so do the snakes. It's when you start to see a pattern of it over weeks/months that it becomes an issue.

What are the dimensions of the T8? I have a divided PVC vive myself, but not the same brand. Perhaps you can order them divided, or can put in your own divider -- just make sure to secure it all around with silicon or something similar, absolutely no holes, and let it air out even beyond what is advised on the product label.
    It's 48x24x12 high and I ordered a divider because I know as babies it's plenty room I just wasn't sure if it is for adults
    Out of Sight
    Out of Mind

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

It is plenty big for reasonably sized adults. My not quite 2 year old 2200 gram Enchi girl fits in her half of a divided T8 just fine. Would I put an adult that was closer to 3000 grams in there? Probably not.

Also, concerning weights, I only weigh them empty (after they poop, before they're fed again). This gives you a better idea of their actual growth.

Edit: She's probably big enough to move up in size to rat fuzzies by now. Many BP hatchlings will take a rat fuzzy right out of the egg.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 08-27-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Kalua (08-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    It is plenty big for reasonably sized adults. My not quite 2 year old 2200 gram Enchi girl fits in her half of a divided T8 just fine. Would I put an adult that was closer to 3000 grams in there? Probably not.

Also, concerning weights, I only weigh them empty (after they poop, before they're fed again). This gives you a better idea of their actual growth.

Edit: She's probably big enough to move up in size to rat fuzzies by now. Many BP hatchlings will take a rat fuzzy right out of the egg.
    I tried probably a month ago to give her one and she killed it but had some issues eating it so gave up haha. But her next feed day is Friday so I will try and move her up to fuzzies

My plan is to get another bp (male) and keep them separate but when of maturity and weight breed them, not so much for a profit but the experience. I already have homes for any babies I do get but that will be down the road obviously! Just trying to get the cage situation ready
    Out of Sight
    Out of Mind

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Quite a bit down the road. Hooray for planning ahead!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Kalua (08-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Quite a bit down the road. Hooray for planning ahead!
    Military will do that to you, plus I've had a passion for animals (mainly reptiles) so before I own any I go through massive research to find out how to make there life comfortable, the mind blowing part is all the morphs out there and learning what's what haha. Appreciate all the help guys!
    Out of Sight
    Out of Mind

Thanks
    I bet you could try a size up again a lot of growth can happen in a month!!

I think splitting the T8 sounds fine to me! Mine is similar in size; 48x24x16, and it is split. I have an adult corn snake in one side and my yearling BP in the other. He's still got plenty of growing to do himself, just shy of 600g, but he doesn't take full advantage of his space even now.

All the best!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kalua View Post
    Hey guys so I have 2 questions. Can I split a t8 for two adults? I have a baby now. And is it normal for them to fluctuate in weight? She weighed 99 grams last week i fed her on Sunday and she ways 92 grams now. Not a huge difference but still should that be concerning at all? She's eating everytime. Seems well hydrated etc

She just pee'd/pood so yea, when they are that small... and at 90+ grams yo ucan go to crawlers (rougly 15-20grams) pinkie rats are usually only 9grams and less.