Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

3 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Venom Defender gloves

Hey guys, the great youtube has bestowed upon me another random video to watch, this time with something more interesting than others. Apparently they're gloves that are puncture RESISTANT and are supposed to add another layer of protection under your basic hot handling techniques for when you're doing cage duty. I've given up on the search function on these forums due to me never getting any coherent results, so I'm sorry if this has already been posted. :/ Anyways, Here's the goods!

There are multiple videos online of people testing these out, Gaboons, King cobras and what not going to town on these things but no punctures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gHhW...eature=related

And here's the link to buy them.

http://snakeprofessional.com/venom-defender-gloves.html

Seem a bit pricey but hey.. nothing is worth losing a limb/life over if you ask me.
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

Thanks

Re: Venom Defender gloves

i wouldnt trust them, they dont even say what theyre made of, at least i couldnt find that part. the videos are great and all, and its a good idea, but i dont know.unless i got to see the anatomy of the gloves, i wouldnt buy them
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks

Not only do I doubt the effectiveness of these gloves, but they are just gloves. If they do in fact provided effective protection at all they would only protect your hands and wrists. What about your arms, chest, face and so on and so forth. The biggest problem I see with these though is they may provide and individual with a source of undeserved confidence. Which unfortunately many times will lead to someone taking unnecessary liberties. Not something anyone should do when working around Hots.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

cmack91 (10-12-2011)

Thanks

i couldnt agree more, these are fine to be used as an EXTRA smafety measure, but, you still need hooks/tongs, and in some cases a face mask, dont throw everything you know about handling HOTs out the window just because they say these are bite rsistant or whatever
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    If you want some extra safety, wear platemail. Don't forget the chest protector either, there was that well-publicized cape cobra that took a nip at his handler's bellybutton.

Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks
    Eh, I was just sharing this with you guys, and that's all these gloves should ever be used as, a 2nd safety buffer. Never know though, someone might not reply to this thread, pick up a pair and they save their life. Who knows.
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (10-15-2011),jbean7916 (12-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur
    Not only do I doubt the effectiveness of these gloves, but they are just gloves. If they do in fact provided effective protection at all they would only protect your hands and wrists. What about your arms, chest, face and so on and so forth. The biggest problem I see with these though is they may provide and individual with a source of undeserved confidence. Which unfortunately many times will lead to someone taking unnecessary liberties. Not something anyone should do when working around Hots.
    Why exactly do you doubt their effectiveness? And so what if your chest, face, etc are still exposed? Is that an argument against having an extra measure of protection for your fingers/hands/arms, the areas most likely to get bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Eh, I was just sharing this with you guys, and that's all these gloves should ever be used as, a 2nd safety buffer. Never know though, someone might not reply to this thread, pick up a pair and they save their life. Who knows.
    Haha, everyone in the venomous community (on here at least) loves to crap on things like this. Of course no one is suggesting that they throw all the rest of their knowledge out the window just because of these gloves. I've never used these ones, but I've used hex armor gloves out in the field before and they are indeed extremely effective. Try to take a hypodermic needle and push it through – you wont be able to.
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonym For This Useful Post:

Melody (12-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    Why exactly do you doubt their effectiveness? And so what if your chest, face, etc are still exposed? Is that an argument against having an extra measure of protection for your fingers/hands/arms, the areas most likely to get bit?

Haha, everyone in the venomous community (on here at least) loves to crap on things like this. Of course no one is suggesting that they throw all the rest of their knowledge out the window just because of these gloves. I've never used these ones, but I've used hex armor gloves out in the field before and they are indeed extremely effective. Try to take a hypodermic needle and push it through – you wont be able to.
    im pretty sure nobody in here wants to argue, but the reason i personally doubt them is because i have no idea how their made or what their made of. if this information was available, i might be more inclined to trust them, not by themselves, but as a second level. does this mean i would never buy them? no. does it mean that if i bought them would i put them through extreme testing before even thinking of using them? you bet, hypo-needles, aggressive non-hot snakes etc.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks

i have tried a few of the gloves on and i would not want to use them while handling venomous snakes i feel like i cant move my fingers well, if you are comfortable wearing them than thats great they would add protection but they are not something id use.

Thanks
    Not impressed. Now if someones hand was in the glove id be more impressed. Heres the thing with hots. Any handler will tell you the point is not to get bit. Education, experience and awareness are the keys when dealing with hots. I personally dont like gloves cause i dont like having my hands handicapped. I like to be able to feel everything. You can ensure a firm grip and no slipping with bare hands. And you can feel a slip if it happens allowing you to react better. Another thing with gloves that makes those claims, i think it gives a false sence.of security. Lets be honest if you are handling a 12 foot king then your hands are not the only thing in striking distance.

You have to know the capabilities of every hot you handle. I used to dink around with gaboon, rhino, crossings and the gaboon is an animal that will fool you. From appearance they dont look like they would be too fast or be able to strike far but let me tell you the first time and every time you have one strike at close distance it will stop your heart for a second lol. I do agree that there is nothing wrong with a secondary form of protection. For me id cut the fingers out so i can feel what im touching. Im just not to much on a product that could possiblly give the uneducated handler a false sence of security that could lead to a disaster. Hots are nothing to take lightly. My greatest defense with hots is the fact they terrify me therefore i am safe and never been tagged. When the day comes where they dont scare me is the day i never touch another one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

cmack91 (10-15-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast