Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

0 members and 3,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Retic Sizes

Thanks

Retic Sizes

I was curious about about how large Dwarf retics and SuperDwarf retics grow untill? From what i heard Dwarf will get up to 9-12 feet? and supers 6-8? And what does it mean if a snake is only 66% SD or D will they grow to a size inbetween both ?
    60% of the time, it works every time

Thanks

Re: Retic Sizes

From what I've read.. you are pretty much right about the sizes. Some SD localities can stay even smaller, like 4-5 ft.... It really depends on the feeding and the schedule.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    The search function on this forum will help you greatly

But to be nice - I'll post the information here:

Super Dwarf Locales will stay relatively small - Most males will cap around 5 ft, and most females should cap by 8 ft, with many staying around the 6-7' mark. There is a new locale that is being investigated right now, it is a reticulated python locale that a male in captivity is producing sperm plugs at just over 2' long! Ryan Parker has this snake. It will be interesting to see where this takes the industry. This could be yet another game changer.

Dwarf Locales are large. Not extra large, just large, hence why we call them dwarf (small compared to the other side of the story). These have a great range, and could be around 7' for males of certain locales, up to 16' for females of certain "dwarf" locales like "Jampea" which is the largest of the dwarfs. Others include Kaydui (the smallest of the mid sized with 10' females), Seslayer (10-12'), and Madu (10-12'). Bali, aka yellow-heads, usually stay under 14' but have had cases known to exceed this, so they are a gamble on size.

This of course is referring to all pure forms. When we deal with crosses some things you must consider:

Mainland x Pure Superdwarf = 50% SD (F1 implied)

50%SD x 50% SD = 50% SD F2

50% SD x F2 50% SD = 50% SD F3

F1 will always be the largest growing, and have the most growth potential, since they are not THAT distant to the mainland blood. In most cases 50% SD F1 will max around 12'. F2 - SHOULD max around 7-8', but still has some growth potential if powerfed. F3, consequently, will remain slightly smaller, but more or less the same as F2.

There are no pure super dwarf morphs EXCEPT Anery - thus anything advertised as pure SD tigers or albinos etc. is false advertising. They may advertise them as "SD", but this merely implies that they have at least 50% F1 SD.

When you get into the higher crosses, 62.5% will generally max around F2 50% size, and 75% will typically be somewhere between F2 and and pure in the size spectrum, HOWEVER, keep in mind fully, that the growth potential will always be there if heavily fed. These animals are evolved to sustain longer periods of less food, thus radiating into smaller and smaller bodies requiring less food. If provided with a higher caloric intake, you will see a drastic increase in the size of the snake regardless of its locale information. So proper diet monitoring is essential.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-20-2014),CloudtheBoa (10-18-2014),Mike41793 (10-18-2014)

Thanks

Thanks. Yea i read the entire pics of tics thread about 5 mins after i posted that.. Retics are such beautiful snakes, I really want one but I think between the size and the frequent cage destruction might be a little much to handle. I guess ill have to wait until you guys shrink em down some more.
    60% of the time, it works every time

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

The super dwarfs stay skinnier than some adult female balls.

My guy here is four feet already, still very slim but growing like a weed. Even a full grown 6ft SD female is still a very manageable snake to handle. Thinner than a boa and much thinner than a blood of equal length. If you can handle an adult female ball python, you could handle a pure SD male for sure.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-18-2014)

Thanks

About how big would a f2 50% Kalatoa male get fed 10-15% every 7-10 days ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedycat222 View Post
    About how big would a f2 50% Kalatoa male get fed 10-15% every 7-10 days ?
    No idea tbh - cant imagine over 7' as long as its F2, potentially staying less than 6' though if you fed it 10-15% weight. Mine usually eat 25% wt. as a reference when they are growing.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (11-08-2014),speedycat222 (10-22-2014)

Thanks

Amazing, thank you so much for all your help, I'm going to be picking my first up in as little as 3-4 months if all goes well. I've learned so much from you both on this forum and from your videos.