Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

0 members and 2,805 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

First BP... might be a lemon ( aggressive / defensive )

First time ball python owner. Not my first snake though. Had a Spotted Python before this bp. Had no issues with handling before but this bp does not like being held at all. Maybe too early to diagnose, but just being concerned as this is my first bp, would like to not make any major mistakes early on, and see what experienced people think.

So my bp is young (2 mo. 1 wk, bought from breeder) know they are typically defensive and scared of people at first. When I received she seemed fine, however box was cold and so was she when arrived. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, didn't strike at me or anything. Observed and held for a brief period and then put her in new enclosure so she could get some heat. Next day I may have a made a rookie mistake and couldn't wait to pick her up. Took her out of the enclosure and she stiff as a board, tense, and striking at me. So I put her back thinking I broke the acclimation period and she needed some time. Fed her on the 5th day, in the enclosure, she ate without an issue. Then tried handling her again 2 days later (8 days after receiving) and got the same tense response from her. She is not curious at all, I pick her up and she immediately goes into striking mode.

At this point, after reading up on this issue, I feel that she may just be young and defensive and doesn't trust me yet or I may have just picked out a feisty one (just my luck). Which would kind of suck because I didn't get her just to look at. Would like to be able to handle my snake.

My question is if anyone has had similar experience with a young bp. And if so, do you have suggestions for how often I should try to handle and ease into handling? Should I leave her alone for another week before handling? I'm concerned with leaving her alone, without handling, for too long of a time and eventually creating a anti-social defensive snake.

Thanks
    Last edited by MRgrFX; 08-29-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    At her age, this behavior is totally normal. It will fade in time. Do continue to handle her, at least once or twice weekly. Take it slow. She'll continue to tense up and lash out for a while. Just ignore it. Keep her out for at least 15 minutes at a time. Eventually, if you move slowly and carefully and just be patient, she'll relax while you are holding her. That is the key. Keep holding her until she relaxes from sheer boredom or because it is taking too long for you to put her down. Once she relaxes for you, and it will take a while, hold her for a few minutes longer and then put her away.

If you put her back while she's tense and snappish, you are unconsciously re-enforcing that behavior leads to being put down. While it will take her a while to make that association, it's best to stop it before it starts. Accept the fact you will get bitten, sooner or later she'll get you. Just make it a non-issue to you, and soon it will be a non-issue to her as well. The good news is as little as she is, a bee sting is worse than her bite. Be patient with her. She may come around in a week or two, it make take a month or more. But if you are patient and consistent, she will come around. I am 95% confident of that.

As far as how best to hold her, just gently pick her up. Sit calmly with her. No sudden movements. Keep her away from your face. She will likely be head shy, so try not to get your hands too close to her head. Just be calm and gentle, and she'll relax. Once she gets bored from the constant tension, and figures out you aren't going to eat her, she'll be fine.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    First off that is perfectly normal for a young ball python. Does he continue to strike out even after you get him out? Do you even get him out?

Thanks

Re: First BP... might be a lemon ( aggressive / defensive )

Thanks Gale! Will definitely try that

Thanks

Re: First BP... might be a lemon ( aggressive / defensive )

Yes, striking when she's out and in hand. Yes I get her out