Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,250

1 members and 2,249 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    How's the swelling?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

gurpgurp (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python rescue help... pics and videos

Hey man, no sweat. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help but I don't think that's it. It's more of a belly swell. Thanks!
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    "Baláke" - R.I.P little buddy
    "Jolene, Mrs. J, Mamma J." - Brindle Lab, Pit, Chow mix
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

Hey guys and gals....

So I tried everything I could.

Warm water and massage, hydrating, upped the heat and humidity and nothing....

I just called an Exotic Animal vet who deals with BP's and I think I have to take him, actually, I AM taking him. After searching he was the most affordable and reputable. $60, my vet wanted like $115, if I need meds or something hopefully it's not much and I can make up the difference.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and I will report back when I get back, the apt is at 2:15 PHX time.

Right now he's just chillin in his hide on the cool side, big ol' lump in his belly... I am guessing and kind of hoping that he's either just impacted or something, those movements in the video has been described by many a "regurgitating" move. I read a freaky article about internal mites and a lump... blah blah blah... not gonna think about it.

Here are some pics I just took...

Talk soon.

BM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Derekm951 View Post
    ok sorry for the improper wording, and rereading that it was rude, but in my defense i had just gotten home from a long day of school then work. I didnt mean "you are unfit to care for animals" if you cannot drop that money at any given time, i mean if that amount of money is completely out of the question for a period of time that allows your snakes condition to worsen. I also wanted to say that rescuing the mistreated thing was awesome and so was looking for any kind of help. Again im sorry for the improper wording and the rudeness of my comment, I do wish you and that poor little guy the best of luck. And keep us updated please

No sweat man, I've done it too. lol Thanks for all the help tho..
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    Phoenix, AZ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gurpgurp For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    How's the swelling?

The same.... I will be taking him in in a little bit. I just posted some pics if you want to check him out.

THanks

BM
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

Waiting for the doc...
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks
    I am so glad he's there right now. Looking forward to updates!! Be prepared for the doc to make your little fellow uncomfortable lol I remember taking my first reptile into the vet and posting pics throughout the processes on the cham forum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

gurpgurp (08-30-2014)

Thanks

Update...

Just got back from the vet. Here's what he told me.

He said that I have done everything and more that he would have told me to do as an alternative to what needs to be done. What needs to be done is an X-ray, culture, and more than likely surgery. He can't say for sure without the X-ray.

Here's a pic of what he recommends...

The lump he thinks is blockage. With this, he is worried about the possibility of the rat rotting and creating bacteria etc... etc... etc... (we know what happens here). The movement in that video he said he thinks it's more of a seizure doe to the horrible living conditions and torture. I am not to sure about that, but again... I am a complete noob here and am learning the best I can lol but that's what the doc said. I still think maybe regurgitation, but yea. He did say that considering what he has gone through the last few months, he seems to look "ok", he expected way worse. He also checked for RI and he said there's nothing, which makes me feel good because I feel I may have cured him of that myself with some treatments I was recommended by a Herp friend. I feel good about that :-) He checked his mouth and said all is clear. I just put him back in his cage and he's just chilling, but he did go to his water bowl and has been drinking nonstop for about 10 minutes, he slurps and hangs out. That's a good thing. He has a 50/50 Powerade/Water mix for electrolytes at the moment.

Here is where I need to make some decisions...

I MIGHT be able to get the X-ray done via some donations from friends and my sisters Care Credit Card. I am more than likely going to try and do this if funds are available. I think once this is done they should have a better idea of what's up and then make my decision easier.

Keeping only money in mind, I will have to do either...

A. Put him down
    B. Continue home treatments
    C. Take my sisters offer and just pay the $500 for everything
    D. Find someone in the Phoenix area who can care for him and give him the necessary treatments and care. Which if ANYONE knows of someone or an organization in the Phoenix area who could do this that would be AMAZEBALLS! Please let me know.

Obviously, I would love to be able to do this all myself and keep him, he's had enough moving and I also figured I've saved him twice, makes it harder to let go... but I have to think of my other pets and my living situation. It's hard to say, but i almost am leaning towards the full $500 if I have to just so he doesn't keep suffering and then just pay the CC Card..... I dunno.... damn.

Anyways, this is where we are. I cant do anything Sunday or Monday so I guess that's 2 days of figuring out funds or decisions. I really hope I find a big ol' nasty turd between now and then...

Thank you all again.

BM
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I am so glad he's there right now. Looking forward to updates!! Be prepared for the doc to make your little fellow uncomfortable lol I remember taking my first reptile into the vet and posting pics throughout the processes on the cham forum
    Hey, I just got back, I posted a short story above. Thanks!

BM
    Last edited by gurpgurp; 08-30-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    "Cadimonti" - BP
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks
    That's 500 dollars before the surgery? That bill didn't include an operation just the testing and x-ray. It looked like over 260 dollars to do a test. I would just tell him to do the x-ray without the culture. Once the x-ray gets back it should be obvious what the issue is and you MIGHT be able to continue a home remedy. I sometimes get upset about culture tests. I'm worried about the rat rotting too so I would personally have his ambient and belly heat bumped up pretty high while still offering a gradient. What are your priorities between relaxing or massaging him? In this case I don't know if his digestion would benefit more from frequent massaging or proper temps and relaxation. Has his belly gotten any larger since you first noticed it to indicate bloating? Did the vet mention anything about not feeding him until this is taken care of? Or offering a much smaller meal next time if this passes?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

If I had to guess the culture would be to see if there are any signs of something like worms or any other bacterial blooms that might complicate things later.

The x-ray should show the shape, density and location of the blockage so he can work out what, if anything, he can or should do.

Feeding is definitely the last thing to be worrying about just now though.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast