Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

2 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know that feeding them to other animals is nature taking its course just as much as breeding rodents for that purpose is. But the idea of breeding animals as pets only to dispose of the ones that aren't fancy colors makes me uncomfortable. It reminds me too much of all the purebred dogs that suffer from known genetic deformities, just to produce the rare handful that can win shows; the same kind of story happens with horses, and other animals that we breed for superficial traits. Sometimes animals suffer because of inbreeding, sometimes it's because a desired trait is genetically linked to a potentially disabling one, and sometimes it's just because they aren't fancy looking. It's really unfortunate that an animal with a life expectancy measured in decades is sold for less than a burger at the pub down the street.

That said, I did just bring home a lesser pewter bp this week instead of a normal... even though actually I was half thinking about calling a breeder and offering to buy a normal for the same price, lol.

Thanks

Re: Feeding off normal ball pythons...

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd worry one of my babies would end up starving at a big box store. I'd rather give it away to someone I know will take proper care of it.
    There is some truth to this... when we got our female pied at the local Petsmart she was damn close to starving in my opinion. She was as big around as two of my very average sized fingers and they were feeding her fuzzies once every two weeks. I stepped her up to small weaned mice almost immediately and she is now on rat crawlers and doing great. She's lost that "gaunt" look she had.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When breeding animals you need to ensure that there is a demand for such animals, the demand might be different from one area to another.

Now your friend want to feed his "unwanted BP" to his other snakes well that's not gonna happen considering the species he is keeping so what than?

Feeders

There is a demand for feeder snakes and the demand cannot be filled with just deformed, or dead animals, snakes have to eat and there is nothing wrong with that. That being said the people buying those snakes are picky and want quality so they buy from people they know they can trust.

Wholesale

I have been wholesaling normal and single gene males to a large retailer (they have pet stores and do shows) for several years now however, you have to build a relationship and be able to provide a certain number of animals (they don't just buy 4 or 5 animals), and sometimes you get turn down because their current inventory is too high so you still end up having to care for your animals for a while longer.

Wholesale can also be done to local mom and pop pet stores however they often have poor husbandry conditions and might not have the exposure allowing them to sell a lot of animals fast.

Retail

Retail of normal can take a while, even free to good home can take a while.

Ultimately if you can't afford to keep it, don't breed it because there might be a need (regardless of the market) or their might not be or it might take time before the need arises. and the animal should not suffer because of it.

What will he do when he produces Pastel or Spider and they don't sell or not fast enough, and at that point is it even worth it to breed?

Over the years I have seen a lot of people getting into breeding without giving much though to the big picture and part of the big picture is what do I do with the hatchlings.

People need to ask themselves the right questions. Do I have a venue to sell (Online, local ad, shows)?, Is there a demand for what I produce? Am I established enough that even if their is a demand people will want to buy from me?

Just my
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (02-12-2016),Lizardlicks (02-12-2016),Mr. Misha (02-12-2016),Slim (02-12-2016)

Thanks

I'd worry one of my babies would end up starving at a big box store. I'd rather give it away to someone I know will take proper care of it.
    I'd worry about that no matter what. I mean even if a big name in the industry wants my snake, how do you know they'll treat it well? Even if I gave a snake away to a friend or someone else as a purely pet gift, who knows what they'll do with it in 1, 2, 5 years. They might give it away to someone who doesn't care, they might stop caring themselves, or maybe they'll get tired of it and just release it when it can't survive in that location.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-12-2016 at 06:07 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bks2100 For This Useful Post:

Hypancistrus (02-12-2016),wolfy-hound (02-12-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thread is now being re-opened after a little cleanup, for those wishing to continue the discussion regarding human ways to euthanize Ball Pythons and/or other reptiles you can now do so here http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ormal-Spinoff)

Back on topic now.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bks2100 View Post
    I'd worry about that no matter what. I mean even if a big name in the industry wants my snake, how do you know they'll treat it well? Even if I gave a snake away to a friend or someone else as a purely pet gift, who knows what they'll do with it in 1, 2, 5 years. They might give it away to someone who doesn't care, they might stop caring themselves, or maybe they'll get tired of it and just release it when it can't survive in that location.
    I've told people who have taken the pet-quality critters that if they find they can't take care of it due to illness or money issues due to job loss, can't have it in a new apartment, etc. to contact me and I will take it back. I won't pay for it, but I will ensure it goes to another home.

These animals can live for decades and I figure that I brought them into the world so it's up to me to ensure they get the best possible homes throughout their lives.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-12-2016),CantHelpIt (02-12-2016),Chkadii (02-13-2016),Coluber42 (02-12-2016),cristacake (02-12-2016),Hypancistrus (02-12-2016),Lizardlicks (02-12-2016),SmoothScales (02-12-2016)

Thanks

I've told people who have taken the pet-quality critters that if they find they can't take care of it due to illness or money issues due to job loss, can't have it in a new apartment, etc. to contact me and I will take it back. I won't pay for it, but I will ensure it goes to another home.

These animals can live for decades and I figure that I brought them into the world so it's up to me to ensure they get the best possible homes throughout their lives.
    Good for you!
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, good for you. I'm not in the market now, since I just got a new baby and don't plan on having more than one snake. But if I were shopping around, that policy would strongly incline me toward doing business with you on the general principle that you have a responsible attitude toward the animals you breed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    .... I'm not in the market now, since I just got a new baby and don't plan on having more than one snake.
    Good luck with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    I just got a new baby and don't plan on having more than one snake.

I didn't plan on it either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-13-2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123