Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

RHP for PVC tank Question

Hey everyone!

I ordered a T8 PVC tank from Animal Plastics recently. It will surely be coming in within a week or so. As most of you may already know, the dimensions of this tank are 48x24x12, and (mine) comes with one white fluorescent fixture, flexwatt for belly heat, and a sliding glass w/ a locking mechanism. This will be my 46" male BP's forever home.

I plan on installing RBI's RHP to maintain the overall ambient temp, but I don't have the specifics as to what the wattage should be for the size of his PVC enclosure. Would a 40 watt RHP suffice for a T8? Or do I need to bump up the wattage to 80? How about brand-wise? Is RBI a reliable company for RHPs? Any information regarding this topic would be truly appreciated.

P.S.
    I tried to search for information regarding RHPs in the T8, but have not really found any particular thread/details about this subject (aside from the sticky in the husbandry section, but it is a general overview and I'm looking for the specifics). I may have missed it, and if so, I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered.
    1.0 Not-so-Normal BP - Sven Forshufvud

Thanks
    Only passing on what I was told when getting the same enclosure, but 40 is only appropriate if you get two to use with the divider. 80 would be better. Can't speak to brand, but I got

http://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I used Pro Products. I sent him an email explaining the cage size, the animals kept, and the temps needed. He set me up with the best option. I don't remember what I ended up with but I know it was higher than a 40w and my cages are nearly the same as yours in size.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: RHP for PVC tank Question

I have the same enclosure with the divider and I have 2 40w RHP and it works fine

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Go for an 80 watt. As long as it is on a T-stat, it will only turn on when needed. Better to have more than you need than not enough when you need it. I personally use a Pro Products PH-3 which is the 65 watt in my Pro-Line 48x23x14 and it works fine. I will probably up my next one for my AP T-10 cage to a PH-3C which is their 75 watt RHP so I definitely have enough power.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I might just look into the Pro Products, as suggested. But definitely going to look into the 80 watt RHP

Thanks
    Don't waste your money on Pro Products and get the Reptile Basics 80 watt heat panel. I have both and they work identically the same.

Pro Products is supposedly has a UL certification, but I searched the whole database and did not find anything. Nor does it say the UL cert number on their site.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    The biggest differences I can tell as I was pondering the idea of both for my AP T-10 is that the Pro Product is an aluminum body and costs about $10 more where as the RBI one is a plastic body and costs $10 less. As for the insides, they are probably close to the same design but I cant verify that as I haven't cut both of them open and looked Since I already have a Pro Product and have had it for about 2 years and its been great, I personally will just pay the extra and stick with it for my next cage. But honestly I cant see going wrong with either choice, it comes down purely to preference.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Radient heat:
    "The heat energy is emitted from a warm element, such as a floor, wall or overhead panel, and warms people and other objects in rooms rather than directly heating the air."

I like to buy north america, so the Korean made panels are not interesting.

Thanks
    I'll definitely look into the Pro Heat just to see the difference between the two, both in price and quality. Thanks again everyone for your advice!