Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

1 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Too much humidity

I setup my 36x18 terrarium to prepare to get a ball python, but I am having some humidity troubles. My temps are right where I want them, but the humidity has been sitting around the mid 70's, even spiking up to the 80's on some nights. I'm currently using Eco Earth, but I was considering changing it to pull the humidity down. I didn't consider being in the southeast US would affect me too much, and now I'm paying for it. Are my humidity readings even something to be worried about? Anyone have any advice? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: Too much humidity

Hey there,
    First off, 75% isn't anything to worry about. You, as usual, just need to make sure you're on top of keeping things clean and that the substrate stays just damp, never wet (the snake shouldn't be lying on consistently wet substrate or condensation). There is something to be said for letting a habitat sit where it's comfortable sitting (as long as it's a healthy range for the animal in it) vs forcing it to be, for example, a few percentages lower in humidity, just because that's the accepted magic range that works for most - and then end up constantly fighting it.

However, how long have you had it set up? If you have a screen top, it may not take long for that humidity to drop a bit as the ecoearth starts to dry on the surface, depending on your room environment. So if you have only had it set up for a day, I wouldn't make any decisions until you see how it behaves over a few days. Also, I'm sure you know this, but make sure you're using a digital hygrometer that you trust to take the readings, so you are confident in the number.

Just be aware you'll probably need to keep an eye on the humidity anyway - just because it's on the high end right now, doesn't mean it won't settle lower come a dryer winter. Even if you decide to switch substrates for now to make yourself feel better, there may come a time that eco-earth may be perfect for you if you end up with humidity changes during the seasons - that's ok, don't ever be afraid to be flexible, that's part of the process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dorydiver For This Useful Post:

LJR (08-28-2016)

Thanks
    As long as everythings dry, you should have no problems

5. The Following User Says Thank You to highqualityballz For This Useful Post:

Dezoruba (08-28-2016)

Thanks

Re: Too much humidity

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for being late myself. My tank has been setup for a few days, and the readings are starting to stabilize. I've got an Acurite thermometer/hygrometer, so I think I trust the readings on that. As for the coconut, I think I'll be keeping it. It has dried out a bit and the humidity is lower now anyway