Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,291

0 members and 2,291 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Safe to feed in tank?

Quote Originally Posted by MontyAndMelissa View Post
    Also, to avoid substrate in the mouth if its a big worry (I know it is for me) use a pair of long tongs (you can get them at your local pet store usually, for about $12). I hold the mouse by the tail and dangle it into the tank, the snake is less likely to strike the substrate. happy feeding!
    If feeding live, this can actually be more dangerous to the snake. A rodent that is dangling by its tail in the air is not a safe (calm) prey item and will be more likely to cause harm to a snake during feeding. Of course, there's no problem at all if we're talking about dangling a freshly killed or thawed mouse by the tail.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    If feeding live, this can actually be more dangerous to the snake. A rodent that is dangling by its tail in the air is not a safe (calm) prey item and will be more likely to cause harm to a snake during feeding. Of course, there's no problem at all if we're talking about dangling a freshly killed or thawed mouse by the tail.
    I guess I didn't think that not everyone goes for the head like Monty. He was a rescue and refuses to eat f/t or prekilled. I wish I had a back story on him but I don't. But he gets the mouse by the head every time.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    I also feed only a mouse, when he should be on rats (2 mice actually). He won't eat rats. He has a fairly large scar on his back from a rat I'm sure.

Thanks

Talking

Feeding in separate enclosures can reduce the association with something entering the enclosure for a feeding opportunity. However, some animals are pretty placid and don't get aggressive per say or make that association, esp when your hands don't smell like food items.

I feed all of my snakes in their enclosure (including my green trees) and have never been tagged by any of them later mistaking my hand for food. Once fed I do not handle them or anything for at least a day so they have time to "turn off" their feeding response. So far so good.

As for the feeding regiment, the breeder knows your animal well and I would stick to the feeding schedule he/she had that animal in ( obviously accommodate for when the animal is in shed). But you should always pay attention to your animal's body condition and response to feeding and make sure you are feeding at a rate and size that is comfortable for the animal and does not leave them under or over fed at all. You will figure this out with time as you get to know your snake.

Some of my animals will feed no problem after a stressful event (like shipping or transportation) and some do need a week or two to settle in to their new environment before feeling secure enough to eat. I would definitely wait one week before offering food. If your snake doesn't take that food item, then wait another week before offering food again.

Hope all of that helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12