Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

0 members and 3,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    This is normal baby behavior from a Brazilian rainbow boa. They do mellow a ton out with age. Mine is just over a year old now, and she's pretty much as tame as my ball python-and I realize that mine might be in the minority, but the only time I ever see aggression from her is during feeding.

Do you have a snake hook? I think the biggest bite risk is actually reaching in and taking them out. Once most snakes are out of their enclosure, they seem to be fine.
    1.0 Python regius (Marshmallow)
    0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Prudence)
    0.1 Epicrates cenchria (Lily)
    1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Taco)
    0.1 Boa constrictor imperator (Valkyrie)
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus (Willow)
    0.1 Lampropeltis triangulum (Unnamed)
    0.0.1 Python reticulatus
    0.0.1 Morelia spilotes

Thanks
    I'd say give her a chance to get some size on her, she may grow on you with a little more maturity. But, if you really don't feel anything for her then it's okay to try to rehome her, sometimes it just doesn't work out and that's okay too
    I think I'll keep her a while longer. She's happy and taken care of right now so I suppose that's all that matters.

I have found that a large percentage of BRB babies are super snappy, but most grow out of it with regular handling, and become wonderful adult snakes that are a joy to handle and keep. My advice would be to start keeping a handling log for her. Handle her every day for 10-15 min, and take some brief notes after as to your interaction and how it went. Do this every day for a month, minus after feeding times and during shed of course. I would bet that after 30 days looking back on it, you will see that she is trending much better towards being a better behaved snake.
    I'm going to try that She's really pissy in her tub but usually once I get her out she's okay. I think I'm just afraid to go in there and get her out lol. I'm really a wussy. Never been bitten before and I really don't want to be! lol

Note that they're not being mean or aggressive, to them you are a great big Godzilla predator about to gobble them up, and they are scared. So pick up your BRB, hold it gently for a short time, and if it nips... so what? It's a baby. Put it back only when it's stopped nipping and it will soon learn that biting doesn't make you go away. Right now you're teaching it that nippy/pissy behavior means you leave, which is what it wants. It's doing a good job training you.
    Yeah, I think that's the issue. I even sent my sister in there to pick her up since she's not afraid of anything, and even she couldn't pick the snake up! lol But yeah, that's good advice.

Do you have a snake hook? I think the biggest bite risk is actually reaching in and taking them out. Once most snakes are out of their enclosure, they seem to be fine.
    No, I don't! You know, I think that would make me a lot more confident. I'm okay once I have her out but reaching in there is scary lol. I'm going to pick one up.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Can I ask you something?

Have you ever played with a kitten and had it bite and scratch you?

Because a bite from pretty much any baby snake will be a LOT less than a kitten bite or scratch.

I've had some pretty impressive BP hissers/huffers.

If you think a BRB baby hissing is scary, you should try a 6' female ball python. She sounds like a steam engine. But I'll let you in on a secret, it's ALL bluff.

Same thing with your BRB. Even IF she snapped at you, you'd need a magnifying glass to see where she got you.

I'm going to link you to a great thread about being bitten.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ighlight=Worst

This will give you some ida of what to expect.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Re: Have you ever just not bonded with a snake?

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Can I ask you something?

Have you ever played with a kitten and had it bite and scratch you?

Because a bite from pretty much any baby snake will be a LOT less than a kitten bite or scratch.

I've had some pretty impressive BP hissers/huffers.

If you think a BRB baby hissing is scary, you should try a 6' female ball python. She sounds like a steam engine. But I'll let you in on a secret, it's ALL bluff.

Same thing with your BRB. Even IF she snapped at you, you'd need a magnifying glass to see where she got you.

I'm going to link you to a great thread about being bitten.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ighlight=Worst

This will give you some ida of what to expect.

Gale
    Thanks for that. I'm going to get a small snake hook and see if that helps me. She's really okay once she's out, it's just intimidating to actually get her out. I think the hook might be the key.
    Female Common Boa - Rosie
    Female Terrazzo Corn - Mercury

Thanks

No, I don't! You know, I think that would make me a lot more confident. I'm okay once I have her out but reaching in there is scary lol. I'm going to pick one up.
    That's what I did when I got my first snake. I was nervous about reaching in, but over time and by using the snake hook, I grew more confident and never have to use it anymore (unless I absolutely need to move them while they're in shed). I think it would really help you as well. Good luck!
    1.0 Python regius (Marshmallow)
    0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Prudence)
    0.1 Epicrates cenchria (Lily)
    1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Taco)
    0.1 Boa constrictor imperator (Valkyrie)
    0.1 Eryx colubrinus (Willow)
    0.1 Lampropeltis triangulum (Unnamed)
    0.0.1 Python reticulatus
    0.0.1 Morelia spilotes

Thanks

I am never really one to give the 'hard knocks' speeches on here. But I do think that getting tagged by a snake definitely comes with the territory of owning one. It is not fun at all, but just part of the game. I think after you have it happen once you will laugh at yourself for how worried you were about it.

Confidence is crucial though. If you flinch, or withdraw your hand when they hiss or act aggressive it will only allow them to think that they can control you with their behavior.
    Last edited by JoshSloane; 08-28-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    But I do think that getting tagged by a snake definitely comes with the territory of owning one. It is not fun at all, but just part of the game.
    Awe, you know it's fun, sometimes - depends on the animal and situation.

Thanks

My young male ball pythons favorite past time is biting me. I was a bit nervous at first since I had never been bit by my past snakes and I wasn't sure what to expect from this tiny terror. I don't even feel it it's just startling to watch it happen since they are so fast. Strangley I think it's helped him tame down. When biting and striking me doesn't get him what he wanted, and I would calmly and confidently hold him, and not eat him, he would mellow out and calm down. He's much better now but still young and every once in a while he will throw a tantrum. Naturally I try not to get bit, but he's managed to get me a couple of times. I hope your BRB mellows out for you, which I'm sure with handling, will. They are such beautiful snakes. I hope to own one myself one day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaram View Post
    Aww that's too bad. I was very lucky with my bps. Even as baby's they were both super tame. I picked them for that, though. I'm not breeding so I look for tameness in snakes. The brb I got because she was so beautiful lol. I couldn't resist.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    I also keep just pets so temperament is a huge priority. I've had many snakes in the past that I have sold because they were jerks. I want a snake I can more or less pick up and handle when I want (within reason) and not have to worry that it's going to latch onto my arm. More importantly, one that other people can also safely handle, since I use mine at my school with young people.

That being said... a lot of baby snakes are defensive jerks who grow out of it. Grow her up for at least a year before you decide to sell.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks
    I think it's worth pointing out that you don't have to be bitten if you don't want to. There are plenty of venomous keepers that can attest to that. It's just a matter of how far you want to go with your handling techniques and things of the sort.

That being said, you don't have much to worry about. Sounds like a hook is all you need in this particular case

Lots of snakes behave the way you are describing while in their enclosure. Ball Pythons have just evolved with a different defense mechanism (balling up) rather than biting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tbowman For This Useful Post:

ratchet (08-31-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast