Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

0 members and 2,989 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

new mojave ball python tank set-up

this is the set up i have for my baby mojave ball python (she's about 10 inches or less). her cool side is 78 degrees fahrenheit and basking side is 86 degrees fahrenheit and her humidity is 67%. her tank size is a 40 breeder. is this set up okae for her??

Last edited by Baeboo43; 08-29-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: new mojave ball python tank set-up

This is probably fine, if anything it's overkill, only thing I would say is you prob want an ambient temp more around 80 and an under the tank heater that brings the surface it's laying on to be around 90. If there is a hide on the warm side, it needs to be around 90 underneath it. Are you using a UTH and a thermostat??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JHPythons View Post
    This is probably fine, if anything it's overkill, only thing I would say is you prob want an ambient temp more around 80 and an under the tank heater that brings the surface it's laying on to be around 90. If there is a hide on the warm side, it needs to be around 90 underneath it. Are you using a UTH and a thermostat??
    Yes I have an under tank heater under the right side half log and an inside thermometer on the tank that reads 87 at the moment.

Thanks
    Do you have the UTH attached to a thermostat? They can get hot enough to burn the snake if uncontrolled, and BPs will sometimes dig under the substrate to get to the glass where it's hottest. So a thermostat is really very necessary. A good beginner model is a Hydrofarm/Jumpstart from Amazon---about $30. Don't use the UTH until it's controlled; you really don't want to risk a burn.

Baby BPs sometimes feel insecure in a large enclosure. Open spaces make them nervous. If she won't eat or otherwise seems anxious, you might have to clutter the tank up some more (silk plants are good) or even move her to a smaller enclosure until she gets bigger. Some babies are OK in a large tank though, never know until you try.
    Last edited by Willowy; 08-30-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks

The probe on the end of your thermometer needs to go under the substrate right on the glass over the uth. If your not using a thermostat it will read over 94 which will burn your snake, you will need to unplug uth until you buy a thermostat. Uth only heats the objects above them not the air, this is why you put the thermometer probe under substrate right on top of uth. You can keep the temp inside around 84 with a red or blue night bulb or raising your room temp until you buy a thermostat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Yes I have the thermostat probe on the glass right over the UTH and at night when I sleep and can't keep an eye on the temp I in plug it and use the red 75w bulb which kept her tank at around 85-92 last night when my air conditioner turned on and off. And I just bought some silk plants today and a new hiding place and corner water bowl she loves to go in and out the hiding place but she likes the perch the best since it's close to the heating lamp (I found her sleeping there through the morning all balled up and I guess happy looking) her first feeding is this Friday (which is a week into having her) I'll post a picture below of what we did to clutter the big tank so she feels more hidden and secure.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baeboo43 View Post
    Yes I have the thermostat probe on the glass right over the UTH and at night when I sleep and can't keep an eye on the temp I in plug it and use the red 75w bulb which kept her tank at around 85-92 last night when my air conditioner turned on and off. And I just bought some silk plants today and a new hiding place and corner water bowl she loves to go in and out the hiding place but she likes the perch the best since it's close to the heating lamp (I found her sleeping there through the morning all balled up and I guess happy looking) her first feeding is this Friday (which is a week into having her) I'll post a picture below of what we did to clutter the big tank so she feels more hidden and secure.
    Thermostat and thermometer are 2 different things. Thermostat controls temps and thermometers take temps. If you don't have a thermostat you need to unplug uth until you have one. If you do have a thermostat the probe should be sandwiched between the uth and bottom of tank. Then you need to adjust the thermostat until your thermometer reads no higher than 94 under the substrate (bedding) over the uth. Being that you said you can't keep an eye on it and you unplug it at night I'm assuming you don't have a thermostat bc with a thermostat it keeps the temp consistent so you don't need to watch it. By running the uth unregulated your putting the snake in danger.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chrid16371 For This Useful Post:

Baeboo43 (08-31-2016)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Temperature are great, the thermostat is a must unless you want to risk burns and fire hazard, and the enclosure well it's way to big for an animal that size no matter how much stuff you put in it, this enclosure is for an adult not an hatchling.

Hatchlings need security and a SMALL CRAMPED setup.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Baeboo43 (08-31-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrid16371 View Post
    Thermostat and thermometer are 2 different things. Thermostat controls temps and thermometers take temps. If you don't have a thermostat you need to unplug uth until you have one. If you do have a thermostat the probe should be sandwiched between the uth and bottom of tank. Then you need to adjust the thermostat until your thermometer reads no higher than 94 under the substrate (bedding) over the uth. Being that you said you can't keep an eye on it and you unplug it at night I'm assuming you don't have a thermostat bc with a thermostat it keeps the temp consistent so you don't need to watch it. By running the uth unregulated your putting the snake in danger.

Yes yes I just bought a thermostat and it will be here friday. I fixed the probe between the Uth and tank and have it off until I get the monitor. For now I'm using my basking lights. I am a stay at home mom so I'm always watching the tank it sits right next to my work desk so I take a look at the temps about every hour to make sure it's not below or alive what she needs👍🏼

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast