Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

3 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Quick Shipping Question!

Hi Everyone,

Im back and i need your help!

I need to ship a Ball Python from TExas to Massachusetts.
    I usually order my shipping supplies from SYR but right now i dont have any boxes
    Can i just go out and get a shipping box from Wal-Mart or any other store?
    I Know i can just go to HomeDepot and get the Styrofoam sheets im just not sure about the box.

I Hope you can help me and thanks in advance!
    -Chris

Thanks

Re: Quick Shipping Question!

Depends on the normal boxes. If they are double thick cardboard or more, get twice the boxes and cut one to fit in the other. If they're normal cardboard, you'll be fine. Also, don't forget stuff like live animal, air holes if the boxes normally have them, etc.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I've been shipped snakes in regular boxes with no foam lining, just a few holes in the sides packed with balled up newspaper and the snake inside of a pillow case LOL. Just make sure they have air and plenty of packing so they don't bounce around in the box. Personally I like the foam lining, just keeps the snake a bit more secure if something pokes the box.

Thanks
    So any cardboard box from walmart would be fine as long as it has the warning lables and the foam lining?
    -Chris

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

To the OP it really depends on the box yes normal box can be used however understand that boxes used in the shipping industry are specific, allowing them resist a certain pressure

The boxes I used are Single wall - Bursting test 200 lbs per sq inch

Any cheap flimsy box could have devastating results.

And of course also remember that even if you use a normal box it must well insulated and be properly labelled per the Lacey Act

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I've been shipped snakes in regular boxes with no foam lining, just a few holes in the sides packed with balled up newspaper and the snake inside of a pillow case LOL. Just make sure they have air and plenty of packing so they don't bounce around in the box. Personally I like the foam lining, just keeps the snake a bit more secure if something pokes the box.
    And people that ship like this should not be in business, this is not how live animals are shipped and it is not OK even if the animal makes it, there are standard and I can tell you that someone like that would have NEVER been Fedex certified
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-29-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (08-29-2016),wolfy-hound (08-29-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    To the OP it really depends on the box yes normal box can be used however understand that boxes used in the shipping industry are specific, allowing them resist a certain pressure

The boxes I used are Single wall - Bursting test 200 lbs per sq inch

Any cheap flimsy box could have devastating results.

And of course also remember that even if you use a normal box it must well insulated and be properly labelled per the Lacey Act

And people that ship like this should not be in business, this is not how live animals are shipped and it is not OK even if the animal makes it, there are standard and I can tell you that someone like that would have NEVER been Fedex certified
    Does anybody know a specific box brand that i can go get it at walmart or any other local store?
    I dont know what to look for in a box, to me they look the same:/
    -Chris

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fLako0aGuiiLaR View Post
    Does anybody know a specific box brand that i can go get it at walmart or any other local store?
    I dont know what to look for in a box, to me they look the same:/
    They all look the same however their will be a stamp on the box with crush test / bursting test number, bigger the rating the better.

Also remember that Fedex uses dimensional weight so a small high box could be more expensive than a lower wider one.

Ideally you want to ship in a 12 x 9 x 6, gives you room to properly insulate with foam and news paper especially in extreme weather.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    They all look the same however their will be a stamp on the box with crush test / bursting test number, bigger the rating the better.

Also remember that Fedex uses dimensional weight so a small high box could be more expensive than a lower wider one.

Ideally you want to ship in a 12 x 9 x 6, gives you room to properly insulate with foam and news paper especially in extreme weather.
    I will look for that particular size
    thanks for your help everyone
    -Chris

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    The marking on the bottom flap is called a BMC "box manufacture cert" and it will specify crush test, 200# or 32 ECT, singlewall, is sufficient. Here's a link to what one looks like:
    https://supplier.jcpenney.com/suppli...g/bmc200-s.gif
    Just wanted to show you what to look

I work in packaging. Specific box manufactures usually only sell in bundle or pallet quantities, if you only need one or two boxes, check out a ups store or even public storage usually sells boxes. The mark up is a lot more than the cost but if you only want a few, it's the easiest way to go.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

As Deb mentioned, the bottom of the box should be stamped with the burst rating.

A "regular" thickness cardboard box usually meets the rating. You can often find them at Office Depot/Staples type stores as well. HOWEVER----

US Postal boxes are extra thin, as are Amazon.com boxes. If you have some compare them side by side. They are quite a bit thinner. THESE ARE NOT APPROVED NOR ALLOWED FOR LIVE ANIMAL SHIPPING.

These thin boxes crush and tear really easily, and aside from being dangerous to the health of the animal, they do NOT meet the FedEx or ShipYourReptiles required standards.

In a pinch, you can swing by a fish store and ask about extra insulated shipping boxes, they often have some on hand, but they are usually the 16x16x8 boxes, or larger. Also as Deb mentioned, those larger sized boxes are going to be more expensive to ship than a smaller 7x7x6 or 12x9x6 box, even if all of them only weigh 2 actual pounds. That is because of dimensional weight. Read more about dimensional shipping weight and how it (drastically) affects the price of your package at the ShipYourReptiles Get Help section.

You don't have to use SYR shipping supplies, but if you use your own, they do have to meet our standard (which in turn meets the FedEx certification standard, which includes at least 3/4" insulation). Back in our breeding days, we built our own boxes, many people do. If you buy in decent quantity, it can be fairly economical.

You can get high quality cardboard boxes from Uline.com. Wide size selection, and you can even get double walled if you like (for even more durability and protection).

We bought 1.5" foam sheets from Home Depot and cut them to fit. It made for a really well insulated, structurally strong box. You could jump up and down on a finished box with no effect. That thick foam doesn't just protect from temperature extremes, it gives great structural support!

If you have a day to run around, you should be able to source a good cardboard box of appropriate size, and swing by Home Depot for the foam (don't forget an extendable razor and a straight edge to cut it).