Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

1 members and 2,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Hoping to make super pins

Good luck! Love pins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post

Something to keep in mind tho, does he mean there is no super pin, as in an alternative phenotype in the homozygous form? Super is a very ambiguous term
    I think that is the main reason this conversations are usually so useless. "Super" is just a herper slang that doesnt actually have a real definition, so it causes confusion. It would be so much easier if we stuck to the accepted terminology used in genetic science. Shoot, we dont even use co-dominant correctly.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CryHavoc17 View Post
    I think that is the main reason this conversations are usually so useless. "Super" is just a herper slang that doesnt actually have a real definition, so it causes confusion. It would be so much easier if we stuck to the accepted terminology used in genetic science. Shoot, we dont even use co-dominant correctly.
    i think the definition of super is equal to the scientific definition of "homozygous". with one difference: we dont use the word when talking about recessive.

also, it doesnt make any discussion useless. it just means you have to be more careful about the definitions.

anyway, its awesome that OhhWatALoser wants to bring clarity by trying to prove it out himself.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

Phantomtip (03-23-2014)

Thanks

I have a little pin girl coming that I plan to breed to my pastel boy when she is old enough and big enough. If you can prove out a super pin that would be awesome and give higher hopes to people that love pins. I was thinking if I ever got a pin boy to have a go at pin to pin but from everything I've read pin is a dominant gene like normals. If you breeed a normal to a normal you get normals. Unless they're het for something. I love conversations like this. It gets my brain working a bit better than normal. Also not every gene has a homozygous "super" form. Normals don't. So the claim that every gene has one is a false claim. Ohwhataloser please keep us posted I'm going to be following this thread. I'm not ready mentally to start breeding but I would love to start one day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    another thing you need to track: your results could lean towards 66% pinstripes in the clutches, or towards 75% pinstripes in the clutches.
    I won't have nearly big enough sample size to differentiate a 9% difference. I doubt we ever will at this point. I think the only way to call it a failure would be to keep track of how many failed homozygous pins are proven. I mean each pin only has a 33% chance but if you miss it 20 times in a row... might start to get suspicious.

If you take my breeding records from last year, you apparently have a 80% chance of getting a male and a 0% chance of any female having multiple genes. damn those small sample sizes.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 03-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Phantomtip (03-23-2014)

Thanks
    Well took me longer than I hoped, but here are babies finally, please excuse my bad pic, I'm in the middle of moving and I figure the snakes haven't even shed yet so cell phone pic it is.

8 eggs, 5 lemonblasts 3 pins, all 50% pos het hypo. all 33% pos super pin

There was nothing that looked like a super so maybe the male didn't have the dinker gene like I thought, I missed it, or the dinker gene doesn't have a obvious super. I'm pretty sure 2 lemon blasts (both female) and 1 pin (male) have my dinker gene, so I am no doubt keeping them. im on the fence about 1 pin and 1 lemonblast so I want to wait to shed before i decided if I want to keep them. The other 2 lemonblast and pin are obviously do not have it.

While I play with my dinker project I will be able to report breeding results about the pins I keep. I would really like the other lemonblasts/pins I do not keep to be breed and results shared so I will have to figure out a way to make sure they go to people who have a good chance of making sure that happens. Perhaps we can get a couple more super pins on the map in a couple years.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 07-11-2015 at 07:02 PM.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Aercadia (07-25-2015),ARBallMorphs (07-13-2015),Jcash34 (07-11-2015),JMinILM (07-13-2015),mwolf (07-13-2015),PitOnTheProwl (07-11-2015),Solarsoldier001 (07-11-2015),Viol8r (07-13-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Best of luck! Keep us informed on what you find out over the next several years!
    Family:
    0.1 Wife
    3.1 Kids

Balls:
    1.0 Lesser Pied, 1.0 VPI Snow, 1.0 Super Pastel Mojave, 1.1 Albino het VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 1.0 Albino Black Pastel, 2.2 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/Pied, 1.1 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/G-Stripe, 0.1 Pastel BEL(Mojave/Lesser), 0.1 Sterling Mojave, 0.2 Pied, 0.2 Kingpin het Pied, 0.1 Cinnamon Lesser het Pied, 0.2 Clown, 0.1 Citrus Pewter Calico, 0.1 Pastel Mystic, 0.1 Mystic, 0.2 Cinnapin, 0.1 VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 0.1 G-Stripe het Albino, 0.1 G-Stripe, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Lesser, 0.2 Spider ph Pied, 0.1 Spotnose ph Pied, 0.1 Spinner, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Normal

Other:
    1.0 Husky
    0.1 Husky/Lab

Thanks
    So update time. Original clutch is growing up, nothing exciting yet. the 2 males I did not keep went to two different friends which will report their breeding results. Maybe something cool will happen this breeding season.

However I did the repeat pairing, 6 eggs this time. 2 lemonblast 3 pin 1 pastel They just had their first shed. Theres one pin that really caught my eye, the thin pin I call it. Its a female.

So given my pairing I can explain the lighter color from the het hypo or the dinker gene. The pattern thinning out.... that makes me wonder. Super Pin? Super Dinker? Normal Variation? Shes going to be fun to watch grow up.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-30-2016),DaDe_Reptiles (11-15-2016),StillBP (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts
    Very nice.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Love that thin pin!! Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast