Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

1 members and 3,123 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Rescue, horrid retained shed? Mites?

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum-- and have signed up in hopes of getting some advise on a perspective rescue. A large pet chain has a young piebald that according to one of the employees, has been deteriorating rapidly for about two months. Very thin, super dehydrated. The store took it to a vet, who said nothing was wrong, so the snake remains on the sales floor in this terrible condition. It looks to me like retained shed? There are also small red dots on the white, any idea about those? I am meeting with the store manager tomorrow to discuss adopting the animal, because obviously they cannot provide proper care. Even a well meaning employee can't give the kind of time it needs while on the clock, am I right?

Anyway, If I end up with him this will be my second BP and first in bad health. I have set up a bin enclosure with heat mat, paper towel, large water dish and moist/dry hide. What is the best way to go about removing the stuck shed? What else can I do to help aid him?

I apologize for the lack of photos, the video was all I could get on short notice. If I am lucky enough to get him, I will update with detailed photos.

Last edited by Kb-; 04-19-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Rescue, horrid retained shed? Mites?

Poor little guy , definitely suffering. What vet saw this python and said it was ok? You should be applauded for adopting him. I think the bp was featured here by someone else last month but he wasn't in this bad shape. You better take precautions bc this guy most likely has mites along with the severe dehydration. So you need to quarantine this bp asap and make sure you decontaminate yourself. This really should be reported to animal cruelty agency! Make sure you keep him away from your other reptiles and pets! Thanks for intervening on behalf of the animal and giving him a second chance.......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Kb- (04-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    The stuck shed is the least of his problems as long as his tail tip is clean and there's no ring of it completely encircling his body. Keep his temps correct and his humidity on the high side and he'll likely deal with it himself.

If you don't have PAM or the NIX/RID mite solution then make some and treat his enclosure, paper substrate, and hides the day before you bring him home if you do get him. I'd wipe him down with a white paper towel dampened with either water or Reptile Relief before leaving the store to show the employees whether or not he's got mites.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Kb- (04-19-2015),The Golem (04-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Rescue, horrid retained shed? Mites?

I'm always torn in these situations.

He looks to have a whole body shed retained from the wrinkles. My problem comes in the form of refusing to give people money for snakes like this as they will simply get in another one and repeat the pattern.

Adopting him for free just to give him a chance I could agree with - with the proviso that if you know he has mites then order Provent-a-mite and treat the enclosure before bringing him home and placing him in it.

For removing the shed I would try a damp pillow case.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (04-26-2015),Kb- (04-19-2015)

Thanks
    I would have this poor little guy soaking in a warm bath daily. Will help the shed come off and aid in hydrating him. If you add just a tiny bit of non fragrant dish soap to cut the water tension and help drown off some of those mites. When was the last time he ate?

Thanks

According to the shop's feeding charts, he ate once earlier this month. I'll have a more detailed look if they agree to adopt him out. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    My problem comes in the form of refusing to give people money for snakes like this as they will simply get in another one and repeat the pattern.
    Exactly, though the OP said "adopt" which to me means free, or at least so heavily marked down that the store loses money on the transaction. If they want you to pay their full retail price then walk away, you can get a healthy, mite-free pied from a private breeder for a lot less than what the chain stores charge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Exactly, though the OP said "adopt" which to me means free, or at least so heavily marked down that the store loses money on the transaction. If they want you to pay their full retail price then walk away, you can get a healthy, mite-free pied from a private breeder for a lot less than what the chain stores charge.
    Yes, by adopt I meant free of charge. Fully agree, I wouldn't pay full price even if I could..

Thanks
    I get so sick of all these sad snakes for sale. I see them on craigslist here and they want 300 dollars for some emaciated filthy snake in a tank with a water dish and one of those half logs. Want to get the money they put into it back. They should be paying us to take the sick snakes off their hands for them.

Some petstore will just take it and throw it in the freezer to be rid of it rather then adopt it out.
    Last edited by Miranda2; 04-19-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kb- View Post
    Yes, by adopt I meant free of charge. Fully agree, I wouldn't pay full price even if I could..
    I appreciate that they are considering giving him to you so that he has a chance. That seems very unusual for pet stores in general
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast