Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,535

2 members and 1,533 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

So, I guess this is normal behavior?

My girl is such a creature of habit. She spends all day in her hide. Within about an hour of her day lights shutting off and her red lights cycling on, She is out and about to settle on her log basking under the radiant heat panel. She stays they're for a few hours then back to her hide. She even does this on days I feed her. She is getting a nice size rat every 7 days. She sheds perfect each time and goes to the bathroom regularly. Is it fair to say that I am doing a good job and she is doing very well?
    The flash went off when I took this picture that's why it looks like day time. It was really 10 at night with just the red light on. Thanks guys!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bps prefer to stay in their hide pretty much all the time. That's partly why it's recommended to give them a UTH as a heat source. They do better with belly heat and with the UTH they can get their heat without having to leave their hide. Yours needs to leave the hide to get to his heat source which is why he would be out more often then regular. Plus reptiles are nocturnal which would why he would do it once the lights are out.

Now you also might be lucky and have a bp that just prefers to be out more often. It's not really normal but also not impossible. I would be really interested to see how it would act if a UTH was added to the tank. If it would still prefer the heat emitted from the panel or from the UTH
    Always be Batman

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

KMG (10-02-2014)

Thanks

Re: So, I guess this is normal behavior?

I agree but if she I'd healthy and thriving, why change things up? I get to enjoy her at night as well!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to supamyk For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (10-01-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supamyk View Post
    I agree but if she I'd healthy and thriving, why change things up? I get to enjoy her at night as well!

I never said you needed to change it I just said I would be interested to see what it would prefer. I didn't think you would actually do it. It's behavior isn't normal but that doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. That's why I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if given the choice of heat.

It might be doing well with the current setup and it is more enjoyable for you if it has this behavior. That doesn't mean there isn't a chance the snake would feel more comfortable with a UTH instead. But it could also prefer things just how they are too. Like I said before you could just be lucky and have a bp that likes to be out more often then normal. You just wouldn't really know if it isn't given an option between the two.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Making your bp act abnormal to reach the heat is desires is not correct keeping. Thats like me giving my gtp a uth with no rhp. It may work but doesnt make it right. Plus making your ball lay out when it would prefer to be hiding could add stress that is just not needed.

I would add another rock or rearrange them to make the door smaller. The way it is now is not offering much to a feeling of security. I know you want to be able to see it but I promise it has no desire to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by vangarret2000 View Post
    Plus reptiles are nocturnal which would why he would do it once the lights are out.
    Not all reptiles are nocturnal.
    Last edited by KMG; 10-01-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post

Not all reptiles are nocturnal.

I knew that. I should have phrased what I said better.
    Always be Batman

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

She is getting a nice size rat every 7 days. She sheds perfect each time and goes to the bathroom regularly. Is it fair to say that I am doing a good job and she is doing very well?
    How long have you had her for?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There is nothing abnormal or less then optimal about the way you are keeping your snake. To answer your question: no. If your snake is healthy and thriving than I dont see any reason why you should do anything differently. If the snake is healthy and you get to enjoy observing it sounds to me like you have the perfect set up for both you and your animal. Its perfectly normal for a BP to come out and do some cruising at night. All of mine do it fairly regularly.

One of the reasons pythons make such great pets in captivity is because of how adaptable they are. Its also part of why they have thrived in the wild for millions of years despite being relatively simple animals from an evolutionary standpoint. If you meet some fairly simple requirements for temperature, food, water, and security the rest is basically up to you.

Im getting rather frustrated with how often people seem to get criticized for not keeping their snakes according to some arbitrary standard of what the "correct" method for snake keeping is supposed to be. One you become convinced that their is a "right way" and a "wrong way" you've stopped yourself from having any new experiences. That sounds incredibly boring to me.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CryHavoc17 For This Useful Post:

CreatureFeature (10-02-2014),Sonny1318 (10-01-2014),supamyk (10-01-2014)

Thanks

Thanks so much! I feel she is doing well and that I am doing a great job! That's what I was really getting at when I posted. Kind of pating myself on the back.... didn't workout so well. Thanks though cryhavoc17!
    Last edited by supamyk; 10-01-2014 at 10:04 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Kind of pating myself on the back....
    Lol. Consider your back thoroughly patted!

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CryHavoc17 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-01-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast