Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

3 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Humidity vs. Heat : Advice Needed

So I need opinions more experienced than my own-
    Is it more important to have a consistently high humidity, or ambient heat? I'm trying desperately to maintain both but its not working. Will my ball python experience greater risk with more heat and less humid air, or more humid air and a cooler side?

Longer Explanation:
    I have an UTH for my ball python on one side, it goes between 90-95 degrees and boosts her warm side air to about 85. However, the cool side is almost constantly at 71/72, which I know is a bit cold.

Thinking I could help boost the ambient air temperature I bought a ceramic heating lamp/bulb, which did the job of getting it to high 70's low 80's but KILLED the humidity- (From 50/60% down to 30%)

My girl went into shed and I asked for some advice on how to keep humidity in. I feel like I've tried everything but /nothing/, not even regular mistings could save the air.

In the end, I decided to take out the ceramic heater, and my humidity is up to 60% again and cool temperature is down to 71.2.

What should I do?
    I'm definitely keeping the ceramic out /at least/ until her shed is done, she moves between her warm side and cool side just fine so I know she won't freeze but I'd like a better, long term solution

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My ball is in a 40 gallon tank in a room that stays 68F. To give the temps I need I use a uth, 100watt che warm side, and 60 watt bulb on the cool side. I covered most of the screen lid but my humidity suffers and stays in the 30s using cypress mulch.

What works for my is adding moss to each hide. During a shed I keep the moss damp and while not shedding I wet it and then allow it to dry out before wetting it again. This crates humid hides and gives my ball perfect sheds even though the tank humidity remains low.

Adding moss and occasional misting should work just fine.

I feel heat is more important in the situation you currently have.
    Last edited by KMG; 09-30-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Humidity vs. Heat : Advice Needed

Those temps are fine the way they are as long as the snake can temp regulate it should be ok. Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so you could cover most of the top with duct tape the silver metal tape not the other one. It will help hold the humidity in. You can also give your snake a moist hide that it can use when it needs more humidity

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigt0006 View Post
    Those temps are fine the way they are as long as the snake can temp regulate it should be ok. Are you using a glass tank with a screen top? If so you could cover most of the top with duct tape the silver metal tape not the other one. It will help hold the humidity in. You can also give your snake a moist hide that it can use when it needs more humidity
    Are you saying the numbers with the che are good or without?
    KMG

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    It sounds like she is in a tank and not an enclosure designed for reptiles. So, this will be a constant battle.

If you're dead set on keeping the tank, then I would get a second UTH and thermostat to control it, install that one on the cool side, and keep it set at about 82*F. Leave your other thermostat on your first UTH so it's set at 90-92*F.

Then, you can cover the top with aluminum foil, Glad Press n Seal, a damp towel, etc. to keep the humidity in. You'll still have a fairly low ambient temperature in the overall tank, but if you put a snug hide on top of each UTH the air under the hide will warm up.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the advice,

I covered both sides of the screen lid with aluminium foil with space for the lamp/ air ventilation in the middle. It hasn't done much but I'm keeping it there as I've been recommended it plenty.

Yes, currently she's in a glass terrarium. I'm dead set on not keeping her in a plastic tub. I like being able to see her and monitor her without having to take off a lid or disturb her. That, and the idea of heating pads on plastic scares me.

So, if I was to put the ceramic heater BACK in, and just put the moss in both her hides, that would be sufficient moisture instead of air humidity? I've hear they can get repository infections if the air is too dry

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFields View Post
    That, and the idea of heating pads on plastic scares me.
    That's why thermostats are necessary, regardless of what type of enclosure they are in.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    With the moss the air in the hide is plenty humid.

I would put the che back, but that's me and what I do.

Cover the back wall and sides with thick paper. This will insulate the tank and raise your temps a few degrees. Just using thick art paper on mine raised mine 3.
    KMG

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

LavenderFields (09-30-2014)

Thanks

Yes, currently she's in a glass terrarium. I'm dead set on not keeping her in a plastic tub. I like being able to see her and monitor her without having to take off a lid or disturb her.
    You can always invest in a PVC terrarium like Animal Plastics. With a RHP (radient heat panel) heating the enclosure, you wont have any heating or humidity issues. The whole setup (terrarium, RHP and proportional thermostat) might be a bit pricey at first but it's worth it in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (10-02-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

So I need opinions more experienced than my own-
    Is it more important to have a consistently high humidity, or ambient heat? I'm trying desperately to maintain both but its not working. Will my ball python experience greater risk with more heat and less humid air, or more humid air and a cooler side?
    High humidity with low temps is way worse, and will likely result in a respiratory infection.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

KMG (10-02-2014)