Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

1 members and 3,019 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How's my setup + is she uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel1989 View Post
    This is not true and its pretty stupid to presume. Snakes need belly heat to help digest food and keep there blood and organs going, and a difference in temperature to thermoregulate. You need one side hotter then the other - not just "the rooms the right temperature" you have no clue of the humidity in the cage - just because your room is 74 means nothing. Heat removes Humidity... You need to rethink what you are setting up... She wont be happy without these things.

Sorry to say this but you are not correct in this assumption. There are quite a few breeders who heat their rooms and not the racks at all. You also have to think of the people that use RHP (radiant heat panels) and back heat. Think of in the wild also. Ball pythons don't go out to a sunny rock to digest after they have eaten. They are nocturnal opportunistic animals. They go out at night when hungry, catch what they can, then go into a burrow or termite mound for the day and digest in their hides. Please do a bit more research before telling people "This is not true and its pretty stupid to presume"
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-10-2016),djstarfall (02-10-2016),fndjason4 (02-11-2016),Galaxygirl (02-10-2016),SKO (02-10-2016),Slim (02-10-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

This is not true and its pretty stupid to presume. Snakes need belly heat to help digest food and keep there blood and organs going, and a difference in temperature to thermoregulate. You need one side hotter then the other - not just "the rooms the right temperature" you have no clue of the humidity in the cage - just because your room is 74 means nothing. Heat removes Humidity... You need to rethink what you are setting up... She wont be happy without these things.
    I would bet that not one productive conversation in the history of mankind has ever begun with calling the other person stupid. I personally am on this board because I have learned a lot and even when people disagree they are for the most part civil. We had quite a good discussion yesterday concerning hybrids. Not all of us agreed with each other however it was a civil conversation. I have learned in my life that you can learn something from anyone. It is probably best to not say anything if you cannot figure out a way to say it productively.

Thanks
    I didnt call anyone stupid - it was me saying the presumption was stupid - however - room heated racks still have heat mats - the room temp is ambient and its still measured, not just left to assumption - i wasnt meaning to be offensive, i am still learning also
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

I didnt call anyone stupid - it was me saying the presumption was stupid - however - room heated racks still have heat mats - the room temp is ambient and its still measured, not just left to assumption - i wasnt meaning to be offensive, i am still learning also
    Glad to hear.

As it turns out I am also very interested in how feasible the OP's setup is in his environment. Maybe one of the mods can comment? I have always kept my rack heated. I live in South Florida and the temps and humidity here are generally pretty good for most of the year. It would definitely be cheaper and easier for me in my environment to regulate the entire room. Is it possible to run the room at about 90 and then drop to around 80 at night and supply no temp gradient in the tubs?

Thanks

Heated rooms don't usually use a heat source on the tubs directly, that's why the entire room is heated. Thats like saying I still neat a heat pad when I have RHPs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

ItsAllNew2Me! (02-10-2016)

Thanks

Well it is just how it came across I guess. Still "stupid" should not have been used when informing someone of a possible error. I have seen setups where breeders have provided whole room temperature on a thermostat without belly or back heat. This i agree is not left to assumption as you are now stating but does have a thermostat to control the temps. You also strongly imply that they NEED belly heat. This is not the case. There are many breeders and pet owners that use RHPs and Back heat. So your insistence in the previous comment about belly heat being a requirement is false. I did not state anything on the OPs setup just on the comment you made.

As far as the OP's set up goes. Yes I agree that there should be a thermostat setup with some type of heating element just in case temperatures do drop to keep temps stable. It would also be good to monitor temps and humidity going forward with a hygrometer and thermometer. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by ItsAllNew2Me!; 02-10-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me! View Post

As far as the OP's set up goes. Yes I agree that there should be a thermostat setup with some type of heating element just in case temperatures do drop to keep temps stable. It would also be good to monitor temps and humidity going forward with a hygrometer and thermometer. Just my opinion.

Agreed. Even if your ambient temps are sufficient most of the time, they might drop to low levels. Really, a hot side should anywhere from 89-94f. Even just a lamp with bulb that's either red, blue, or black (or a CHE of course) on a dimmer switch would be a good idea to have setup on the cage, even if you don't need to use it all the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Maybe its just making myself over informed, Im from UK, and within 2weeks of starting to learn about Ball Pythons I got one. My rooms are cold so I need to regulate heat. I went out and bought a Oil Heater to keep the room at temp just for the ambient. Pretty much everything I read said Ball Pythons Needs belly heat and until you just stated otherwsie I had no reason not to believe it was important or "vital" saying that I didnt mean to press my point in a harsh way.

Again, Everything I read has said the too sides of the tank need a gradient, a noticeable one. Without a direct heat option or any thermometers how does the OP regulate this? Just because the room is warm enough?
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks

Maybe its just making myself over informed, Im from UK, and within 2weeks of starting to learn about Ball Pythons I got one. My rooms are cold so I need to regulate heat. I went out and bought a Oil Heater to keep the room at temp just for the ambient. Pretty much everything I read said Ball Pythons Needs belly heat and until you just stated otherwsie I had no reason not to believe it was important or "vital" saying that I didnt mean to press my point in a harsh way.

Again, Everything I read has said the too sides of the tank need a gradient, a noticeable one. Without a direct heat option or any thermometers how does the OP regulate this? Just because the room is warm enough?
    I understand where you are coming from i live in the northern U.S. and even in the hottest summer months i still need heat added to my rack. I also use belly heat. I also have a heat gradient as you were saying. I just wanted to state that there are other breeders and pet owners that utilize other means of heating and belly heat is not required nor in some cases are there a heat gradient and their animals are doing just fine. I do also agree that the OP does need a means to measure temps and humidity and have some type of heating setup to keep things stable, with the OP's temps I don't even want to talk about the need for cooling in case of a heat wave!! Thats all I was getting at. I also now understand you were not meaning to be harsh it was just how it came across. Glad you are doing your research and learning. Hope your new snake friend it doing great. All of mine keep me busy in the evenings after work lol. Happy herping!!

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12