Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

2 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: VE-175W Tub

Thanks

Lightbulb VE-175W Tub

So, first of all, very exciting news; I got my hands on a pair of VE-175W (or Christmas Tree Boxes) this holiday season! I'm really stoked for my female blood to grow into this set up and I'm moving my adult BP into the other to give him a bit of extra wiggle room.

Only there's a problem; there is a grid of raised plastic on the underside of the tub. I use Ultra-Therm heating pads and thermostats and I'm worried that the heat pad will not have enough contact to actually hold heat inside the tub or create any kind of belly heat.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to rig this to work? Could I mount the heating pads on the side? I feel like that would help with ambient temp, but not keep the temps where I need them for a 'hot side'. The Ultra-Therm pads don't get super hot, its actually one of the reasons I love them. But that poses the problem of keeping temps up.
    Someone had suggested to place the heating pad inside, then place tile across the bottom on top of that. I'm not overly fond of this idea...the thought of heating elements inside a tub gives me the bad vibes.

Anyone know how to get around this and make this tub work? I'm so ready for more room for my snakes, bit I'm usnure how to make it happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Doop doop ballop

1.0 Mojave Ball Python - Bagheera
    0.1 Matrix Blood Python - Mabel
    1.1 Leopard Gecko - Bee and Honey
    1.0 Black Hooded Rat - Baloo
    1.0 Carolina Mantis - String Bean
    1.1 Cats - Popeye and Popeye
    2.2 Dogs - Boo, Pinto Bean, Bella, and Hungie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    the only heat pad i would trust to put inside a tank or tub would be the Kane heat mats. they're rugged and water proof.

side heat and/or back heat is fine. some heat racks are designed with this built in already. it will provide the hot spot but your ambient temps should probably still be monitored and controlled by your house or room thermostat.

otherwise the tub bottoms grids not having direct contact with UTH is still fine as long as u can reach the optimal temps for a hot spot. again some racks have channels machined into the floors of each shelf for heat tape and tubs don't exactly touch them. i have 2 racks like this and still get 90degrees for my BPs.

so there's different ways to get the correct husbandry. u can try one with side and/or back heat and the other with belly heat and see which works best for your snakes. just some of my thoughts. hope others will chime in as well.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are worrying to much I have used type of tub with this type of heat mat for years without any issues.

If you place the tub on the floor just tape the UTH on a piece of plywood and place it under the tub, not forgetting to tape you t-stat prob to the UTH directly, after that simply play around with your t-stat setting to achieve optimal temp in the tub.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanks Ax01 and Deborah!! I'll fiddle around with it until I get what I want and BEFORE I move my snakes. Thanks for the tip I really appreciate it guys!! <3
    Doop doop ballop

1.0 Mojave Ball Python - Bagheera
    0.1 Matrix Blood Python - Mabel
    1.1 Leopard Gecko - Bee and Honey
    1.0 Black Hooded Rat - Baloo
    1.0 Carolina Mantis - String Bean
    1.1 Cats - Popeye and Popeye
    2.2 Dogs - Boo, Pinto Bean, Bella, and Hungie

Thanks
    http://www.herptasticreptiles.com makes a nice affordable ve rack that has heat in it