Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

1 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help... BP has her right eye is bulging

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    He was talking about Boas though. i've never seen a ball python soak for more than 10 minutes at a time. I agree that there is no absolute right or wrong way to keep these animals, you just have to find what works for you.
    I have one female that will soak in her bowl for a week straight during breeding season.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    I agree with most of what your saying... and I'm not saying that you are wrong... but I have very educated people that would disagree with you on parts... thats where it comes down to each person doing it differently... I've been told by multiple people you never want to use any type of topical ointment because of absorption and breathing issues through the lens... Again, I'm not saying your wrong... but it comes down to me taking little bits of advice and going with what my gut says... I appreciate your information though! Thank you We will consider all you said
    About the topical ointment. I had a sand boa about 7 years ago that had his eye scale removed and his eye started to dry out and sink in, so I put a small dab of neosporin on it every couple of days until his next shed. I thought his eye was gone but after a couple more sheds it was fully healed and back to normal. People may disagree but I knew I had to keep that eye moist and clean and in MY experience this saved my sand boas eyeball. I'm not saying you should do this but I did and it worked, maybe it was a fluke but in my case it helped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (02-20-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    I would like to cover a couple of things... It's not a matter of you not being educated enough for me to trust... but I don't know you from a hole in the ground... trust is earned... I appreciate the feedback you have provided we don't have to see eye to eye on every comment, not to state that I wouldn't consider your advice if I were to find myself in a similar situation (which hopefully will never happen) So it's not a matter of you not being educated enough... In regards to the people that I have received trusted information from... We are referring to people from multiple rescue facilities and people who have been in the industry for over 30 yrs with multiple degrees including Vet degrees as well... please understand that just because you choose to do it one way doesn't mean someone doing it a different way is doing it wrong... I might raise my child one way... but you might raise your differently... doesn't mean either of us are wrong... I'm not challenging you... but please understand that the people my information has been provided by are trusted, educated, and expeirenced in this matter just as much if not more than others... please know this isn't a pissing match... I see eye to eye with you on some things... and I really appreciate the help you have offered... but I'm really just hoping I will never have to use your advice because I'm really hoping for the best possible recovery that she can have... It's really nice to know that if I got in a bind I would have people that I could ask opinions of...
    I'm gonna have to disagree with some of this. Everyone is entitled their own opinions and to do things the way they want, however there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything. I can put sunscreen on my clothes instead of my skin, does that make it wrong? No, but I'm gonna get sunburn. I can put water in my gas tank instead of gas, this is how I like to do it, but will my car run? No. Same goes for reptiles and animals, there is a better way to do something and there is a way that is not as good in reality and fact, not in opinion or preference. Sorry for being a bit facetious but you know what I'm saying and I hear where your coming from as well. Also many people on here have much experience and are very knowledgable. Still hope your snake is ok and sorry you had a bad experience on here and with your snake. Common drink the cool aid, it doesnt taste that bad
    Last edited by Domepiece; 02-20-2012 at 01:18 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (02-20-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Domepiece View Post
    I have one female that will soak in her bowl for a week straight during breeding season.
    First off, I said that none of my ball pythons soak for more than 10 minutes at a time and not all ball pythons soak for 10 minutes at a time.

From what I have seen and from what I have heard here and other places as well most ball pythons don't soak much... There always will be exceptions but I personally believe that if you give a BP a large enough water dish that they can soak in it then it's up to them. I don't force them to soak.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    And this is not entirely uncommon. When I had 30+ breeding BPs at one time I did have one that would literally soak for days in his water bowl. For no reason other than he wanted to do it. He always did this no matter what. Sometimes there would be one or two others that would get in their bowl for no reason. Never a mite or sickness to be seen. So yes. There is always the exception, but many of us here have seen the negative effects that a prior soaking can have if a ball is prone to bad sheds. Your water quality can play a huge role as well. A person who has hard well water and no softener is much more likely to cause a bad shed by soaking their BP in that water than a person who has soft city water. Much of this is simple common sense that I keep trying to point out. Hasn't anyone here ever moved from soft city water to hard, calcified well water and saw the immediate difference it made in your hair, skin, and clothes?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First off, I said that none of my ball pythons soak for more than 10 minutes at a time and not all ball pythons soak for 10 minutes at a time.

From what I have seen and from what I have heard here and other places as well most ball pythons don't soak much... There always will be exceptions but I personally believe that if you give a BP a large enough water dish that they can soak in it then it's up to them. I don't force them to soak.
    I hope my comment didnt agitate you. All I said was that I have one that will soak for up to a week. I was just covering the other end of the spectrum.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

I hope my comment didnt agitate you. All I said was that I have one that will soak for up to a week. I was just covering the other end of the spectrum.
    No it's cool there is more than enough of that running around this thread lol.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    And this is not entirely uncommon. When I had 30+ breeding BPs at one time I did have one that would literally soak for days in his water bowl. For no reason other than he wanted to do it. He always did this no matter what. Sometimes there would be one or two others that would get in their bowl for no reason. Never a mite or sickness to be seen. So yes. There is always the exception, but many of us here have seen the negative effects that a prior soaking can have if a ball is prone to bad sheds. Your water quality can play a huge role as well. A person who has hard well water and no softener is much more likely to cause a bad shed by soaking their BP in that water than a person who has soft city water. Much of this is simple common sense that I keep trying to point out. Hasn't anyone here ever moved from soft city water to hard, calcified well water and saw the immediate difference it made in your hair, skin, and clothes?
    Yep this one girl of mine is a real goofball. She does it every year right at the beginning of November and no other time and its always right before a shed all the way up untill she sheds and then shes out of the bowl till next november. I agree with you, I never soak any of my snakes before shed but will do so if they have a bad shed which I rarely if ever have an issue with. And I agree, hard water sucks
    Last edited by Domepiece; 02-20-2012 at 01:47 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No it's cool there is more than enough of that running around this thread lol.
    lol, Ive noticed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (02-20-2012)

Thanks

First, a question:

Do the workers at the shelter specialize in reptiles, or are they mainly dog and cat people?

Second, the main reason it is inadvisable to leave your bp in water overnight is because they might drown. Could you swim for 5 hours straight?

Third, nobody is trying to attack you. Some of the comments may seem blunt, and often are, but everybody here is working towards the same goal: The swift and complete recovery of your BP.

It's fine if you don't want to try the ideas listed here. I can think of a couple that I wouldn't try with my snakes if they had stuck eye caps. I'm not going to mention them and start a war, but they are there.

Lastly, I hope your BP recovers. My snakes are part of my family too, and I would feel really bad if anything happened to one of them.

Thanks,

Apple2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to apple2 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (02-20-2012)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast