Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,908

1 members and 1,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

New BP Owner Freaking Out Here.

I ended up taking in a friend's BP on about Feb. 3rd spur of the moment-I felt really bad because he needed to get rid of his snake FAST and he didn't know what else to do. I have a 24 yr old Cali king snake of my own, so I helped out. But I'm kind of anxious because there are things with this snake that are making me uncomfortable...

The BP is still a baby. The first two weeks he didn't eat at all-I was switching from live to f/t, but finally managed to do so. Ate for the first time on 2/16, fed again on 2/19 because he looked really skinny-loose skin and spine was showing-and again on 2/24. Adult f/t mouse all 3 times. Snake hasn't pooped since 2/7 though and is due to eat tomorrow. He feels better as far as weight/hydration go though.

I'm not sure when the last shed was though. Lately, he's started to look more dull, and I noticed lots of random small dark spots on the snake-though I'm not sure if they're just markings or something else? Also, when I handle him, I've noticed that there are some "scratchy" patches on his belly-but when I check him, his belly looks completely normal.

Temps are difficult to say. Cool side is usually about 75-77, warm side goes from about 86-91. I use a UTH and a lamp to raise ambient temps, so that screws with humidity-which is anywhere from 50-80 (I have to spray A LOT to maintain it, so it goes up and down pretty fast). It's usually around 60 though. I've got a custom order in for a non-glass tank, but unfortunately that's what I'm stuck with for now.

I'm just nervous because I'm doing what I can for now-but something feels off. Am I being crazy or can someone give me tips?

These are the spots I'm talking about.

Last edited by pineapplepancake; 02-28-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks

Re: New BP Owner Freaking Out Here.

I think we all sort of freak out at first. I would recommend getting a more permanent solution for the humidity if you can. It saves a lot of time. I have the tropic air humidifier and air exchanger. Others use reptifoggers. I will still add slightly damp paper towels which I change 1-2 times per day when I notice Atticus heading toward a shed. Check out the sticky posts for lots of good info. I didn't notice if you mentioned having your UTH's temp on a regulator, but that's really important.

It seems like you're being very conscientious about your snake's care, and I'm sure you'll feel more settled once you get used to its habits. They are finicky but also much easier and hardier than we give them credit for sometimes

I'm no expert, but I don't see anything wrong with his scales.
    Last edited by Shamri; 02-28-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shamri View Post
    I think we all sort of freak out at first. I would recommend getting a more permanent solution for the humidity if you can. It saves a lot of time. I have the tropic air humidifier and air exchanger. Others use reptifoggers. I will still add slightly damp paper towels which I change 1-2 times per day when I notice Atticus heading toward a shed. Check out the sticky posts for lots of good info. I didn't notice if you mentioned having your UTH's temp on a regulator, but that's really important.

It seems like you're being very conscientious about your snake's care, and I'm sure you'll feel more settled once you get used to its habits. They are finicky but also much easier and hardier than we give them credit for sometimes

I'm no expert, but I don't see anything wrong with his scales.
    I haven't gotten any new pets since I sort of inherited my sister's king snake 12 years ago when she went to college-so this freaking out thing is new to me, haha. Though it's funny to be able to say my snake and I are the same age.

I'm really trying-like I said, I kind of got thrown into this (in a good way), and I've been doing my best. I think the new enclosure will help too with the humidity, but thank you for the other suggestions. I will definitely look into them...I'm worried that the BP hasn't showed any signs of shedding yet, is that something to be concerned about?

Perhaps the scale thing is my neuroticism making his markings into cancer or something. Who knows. Thank you for your kind words though.

Thanks

I was the worst when I first got my snake. I was glued to these forums, and I was literally losing sleep at night My guy is about 7 months old now and growing well, and he only sheds every 5-6 weeks. You've only had your snake for a month, so I wouldn't worry. I'm guessing he'll shed within a week or two, especially since he's growing.

Watch for noticeably dull scales and a pinkish belly.
    Last edited by Shamri; 02-28-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    1.0 normal ball python (Atticus)
    2.0 cats (Amos and Adam)
    1.0 boyfriend (Alex)

Thanks
    Those scales look OK to me. Don't worry, I look at mine and wonder if *that* spot was there before, and if it's her or something stuck to her. It's not just you.

Shedding can take awhile. The first thing I tend to notice is my snake gets a little what I call crunchy and will have little sort of flaky looking spots on her tummy. Then a pink tummy, which not all BPs get, then dulling constantly til eyes go blue and back again, then shed a couple days later. It can take more than a week to happen as is. And if this fellow was a little underweight, it might need to fatten up a bit before shed. They're such cute fatties
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks
    Wanted to add some thoughts on humidity. Cover most of the lid with foil.

My version is a little lame, but you get the idea. Leave some spots for air circulation. But this has helped alot, along with a Reptifogger.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks

Yes! I did that right!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplepancake View Post
    I ended up taking in a friend's BP on about Feb. 3rd spur of the moment-I felt really bad because he needed to get rid of his snake FAST and he didn't know what else to do. I have a 24 yr old Cali king snake of my own, so I helped out. But I'm kind of anxious because there are things with this snake that are making me uncomfortable...

The BP is still a baby. The first two weeks he didn't eat at all-I was switching from live to f/t, but finally managed to do so. Ate for the first time on 2/16, fed again on 2/19 because he looked really skinny-loose skin and spine was showing-and again on 2/24. Adult f/t mouse all 3 times. Snake hasn't pooped since 2/7 though and is due to eat tomorrow. He feels better as far as weight/hydration go though.

I'm not sure when the last shed was though. Lately, he's started to look more dull, and I noticed lots of random small dark spots on the snake-though I'm not sure if they're just markings or something else? Also, when I handle him, I've noticed that there are some "scratchy" patches on his belly-but when I check him, his belly looks completely normal.

Temps are difficult to say. Cool side is usually about 75-77, warm side goes from about 86-91. I use a UTH and a lamp to raise ambient temps, so that screws with humidity-which is anywhere from 50-80 (I have to spray A LOT to maintain it, so it goes up and down pretty fast). It's usually around 60 though. I've got a custom order in for a non-glass tank, but unfortunately that's what I'm stuck with for now.

I'm just nervous because I'm doing what I can for now-but something feels off. Am I being crazy or can someone give me tips?

These are the spots I'm talking about.

First off, holy smokes a 24 year old king snake?? Sweet!

Sounds like you're trying though!! I strongly recommend looking at the tank sticky thread. Covering the screen top with some foil will help keep in the humidity. Also, make sure you are using a good thermometer/hygrometer (no sticky or dial ones, they don't work great).

The acurite multi one is a cheap easy one to use from walmart.

Make sure the UTH is on a thermostat or the snake can burn itself. The scratchy patches could be dehydration, a shed coming on or a popped blister if the UTH isn't regulated.

Make sure there is plenty of fresh water, if he/she looks dehydrated on the body you can soak him/her for a little bit (not in too deep of water though) and they will soak up some water. ^^if the body is showing the spine a little and there are wrinkle spots when he/she makes the "S" shape then that's a sign of dehydration.