Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

0 members and 2,888 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Hi ya's, just another new victim of the ball python bug

Hi ya's guys -n- gals,
    Yup, I got bit by the B.P. bug. It's all my bosses fault LOL. Recently I got hired at a local e-cigg shop......well anyways, the shop owner has a spider + (?) <---i will have to edit to add other gene tomorrow----that i have fell in love with.
    I have always thought of getting a ball python, but the normal's have never appealed to me. My Boss was the one that suggested this site when i asked where to go to start learning about these beauties

Anyways upon seeing this beautiful girl I have been picking his head and lurking on this site. There is much research I need to do on husbandry and the different genes and this site has already taught me a lot.

My plan is to learn everything I can about about the B.P.'s theirs self's and their care in the next three months or so( and continue learning of course, I am a natural "bookworm") before the next local repticon in the middle of July. My intentions are not to breed by any means, but to experience these great animals through having one or two as a pet. But I never take my pets likely, I have had dogs all my life and am continuously researching their care, training, genetics ect(no, i never breed dogs), its just that they are a passion of mine;to the point I tend to know more about a lot of breeds then their owners do. I think that ball pythons could/are becoming the same way, AND I DO NOT EVEN HAVE ONE YET! Seriously I know that I know nothing at this point.
    I also want to set up several different methods for housing and play with the temps and humidity pretty soon so i can record variances in temps and humidity now and over the next few months before I get a Ball.
    That way I will be somewhat comfortable with how to add humidity, and regulate the temps with the varying seasonal changes occurring through out the lead up time to the repticon. I know a lot of people setup dedicated rooms or a closet to these babies, and I may do the later, but I am thinking I will more probably have my 1st in my bedroom instead of a closet, depending what is best of course. And I am going to opt out of a aquarium type tank. I have been doing a little research on both different enclosures made specifically for a single snake as well as the smaller rack systems. And my boss raves about the sweater boxes....which seems to me to be essentially a rack system with no rack, LOL.

Anyways i figured I would stop lurking and say hi, HI!.........be prepared for newbie questions you may have heard a gazillon times in the near future
    Last edited by SouthernVaper; 04-19-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: errors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Hi there, and welcome to the sickness...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

SouthernVaper (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    That's great you are doing plenty of research before getting your snakes! Too many people don't. Welcome to the forum!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks

Re: Hi ya's, just another new victim of the ball python bug

I hear Disturbed playing in the background when you say sickness

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyShuttle For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-19-2014)

Thanks

Also start looking at small racks instead of buying cage after cage lol its better to go to a show with an empty drawer then figuring out where your gonna put him/her

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    Also start looking at small racks instead of buying cage after cage lol its better to go to a show with an empty drawer then figuring out where your gonna put him/her
    yeah I have been looking at the small three tub racks offered at ap & have been told to check out boaphile as well, my time is limited to do research and is why i am glad repticon is a 3 or so months away. I don't think i would go with the bigger "tanks" at first. Need to find a few suppliers to research as well
    I have kinda been sold on the idea of the sweater box style tubs, which with a little more research i should be able to get to either fit the available rack systems. Or possibly be able to build a rack system using available tubs......I have seen quite a few on here who have shared heir rack builds
    This seems to be a more consistent way to provide a stable environment(temps/Humidity), and the best living environment for any of my pets is always he top priority for me.

oh and i could not edit the original post?

my bosses BP that started it all for me is a spider+lesser
    Last edited by SouthernVaper; 04-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks

Awesome!
    I didn't believe I could get so attached to these creatures...
    Want them for pets also...I am reading a lot of sad stuff about greedy people and mistreatment...drives me nuts that it's not a furry creature so not as much attention is given to the mistreatment of all reptiles ..I'm trying to educate one person at a time.
    Start googling and learn the horrible ways some of these animals are treated...sorry so long
    Glad to see another lover!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyShuttle View Post
    Also start looking at small racks instead of buying cage after cage lol its better to go to a show with an empty drawere then figuring out where your gonna put him/her
    We decided on cages and a number...12
    Otherwise there would be no stopping me!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Welcome and enjoy your stay

Thanks
    Welcome to the group