Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

1 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Keeping hatchlings comfy

Hey, those of you who regularly get lots of new little babies to house, how do you measure temp and humidity for all those tiny tubs? Does each tub get its own device? Aside from heat tape hot spots, do you just keep the whole room at a compfy temp and take occasional reads with a temp gun to make sure they're correct? If so, then how do you monitor each tub's humidity? What's the most efficient way to make sure everyone's environment is perfect?

(Wasn't sure if I should put this in breeding or husbandry since its a question about one which is cause by the other. Mods feel free to move if necessary.)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a temp gun I get a reading in random tubs twice a week when it comes to the hot spot and the snake room is kept at 75 degrees during the winter (oil filled heater + T-stat)

Summer is different as the snake room is at 86 and I do not provide a hot spot

I do not measure humidity in the tubs.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Keeping hatchlings comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have a temp gun I get a reading in random tubs twice a week when it comes to the hot spot and the snake room is kept at 75 degrees during the winter (oil filled heater + T-stat)

Summer is different as the snake room is at 86 and I do not provide a hot spot

I do not measure humidity in the tubs.
    So how do you keep the humidity right over all, just eyeball it? Give them humid hides for shedding?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    So how do you keep the humidity right over all, just eyeball it? Give them humid hides for shedding?
    In tubs that small humidity is very rarely an issue of course it depends on where you live as well (I live in the south)

All I have is a gauge in the room that tells me the ambient humidity of the room as well as temps for the rest I gauge it based on how my animals shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

In tubs that small humidity is very rarely an issue of course it depends on where you live as well (I live in the south)

All I have is a gauge in the room that tells me the ambient humidity of the room as well as temps for the rest I gauge it based on how my animals shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I live in the northwest. Eastern WA to be specific, which is a lot drier than the coast, and we get winters cold enough that we gotta heat the whole house for 3 or 4 months out of the year. It can really dry out the air, so ambient humidity could be a problem. Would providing hatchlings with humid hides be sufficient?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    In the small shoebox 7qts if I remember right all it takes is a small water bowl.
    My hatchling rack is back heat also.

Thanks
    Alright, so basically, as long as they have a good supply of fresh water and appropriate heat, the humidity should take care of itself in hatchling tubs. Thanks for all your answers guys. So many tiny details that no one ever mentions in all those articles and videos, but then I think of them and go "... wait a second here!" lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Yeah, I live in the northwest. Eastern WA to be specific, which is a lot drier than the coast, and we get winters cold enough that we gotta heat the whole house for 3 or 4 months out of the year. It can really dry out the air, so ambient humidity could be a problem. Would providing hatchlings with humid hides be sufficient?
    If it is necessary for you to do something you can provide a humid hide or you can have humidifier in the room.

It really comes down to how many animal you will produce it could be time consuming to produce hatchlings with humid hides and trust me when hatchling season is here the work quickly adds up.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

If it is necessary for you to do something you can provide a humid hide or you can have humidifier in the room.

It really comes down to how many animal you will produce it could be time consuming to produce hatchlings with humid hides and trust me when hatchling season is here the work quickly adds up.
    I believe it! I guess I worry more about having a hatchling fail to thrive, not shedding properly or eating because it's stressed from its environment, than about creating extra work. But from the information you guys gave me it sounds like keeping everything on track won't be as hard as I had feared. Thank you so much!