Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

1 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a difference between can and should.

The bottom line is that while some animals can be kept together not everyone can do it.

I believe that based on your current experience (based on you posts) it is something that is not advisable any time soon.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

KEG22 (08-03-2012),Skittles1101 (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Oh boy, here we go again.

Imo you should not house them together. Many reasons why, that have already been listed. Illness, eating, who's poop?, fighting over hides...... Just don't do it.

Also, don't let them "swim" in the tub. Soaking can rob bps of oils essential for shedding properly.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DooLittle; 08-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

KEG22 (08-03-2012),PitOnTheProwl (08-03-2012)

Thanks

Re: Can I house two ball pythons together?

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    Heather was not being condescending at all. You asked if it would be ok to house them together and you got your answer.
    What was she doing then? Insinuating that I don't want to have to spend extra money on another enclosure? The person before you has it right It's the room issue because I have fish tanks and a leopard gecko. The point is, I asked can you house 2 bp's together, not if I have enough money to buy a tank!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KEG22 View Post
    What was she doing then? Insinuating that I don't want to have to spend extra money on another enclosure? The person before you has it right It's the room issue because I have fish tanks and a leopard gecko. The point is, I asked can you house 2 bp's together, not if I have enough money to buy a tank!!!
    We see this question ALL the time. Heather is in no way rude. 99% of the time people don't want to or say they can't spend the money on another tank/tub, hides, thermostat, heat pad, thermometer. But some how had a couple hundred dollars to spend on another snake, without making sure they could properly house and care for it.

If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (08-03-2012)

Registered User Wicked Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    Im with everyone else, do not put them together, i seen pics of bps eating the other one,i can post a pic if you like its not a pretty photo. Get more cages or a rack but never put them together if your not breeding.
    Wicked Constrictors

Jennifer

3.5 BPs......1.1 normal 1.1... mojo...1.0 spider Possible Het Pied...0.1 het Pied...0.1 Lesser...0.1 Pin
    3.4 red tails...1.1 green tree python...0.1 burm...0.2 retic... 2 lizards...1.1 kids...1.0 husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrDooLittle View Post
    We see this question ALL the time. Heather is in no way rude. 99% of the time people don't want to or say they can't spend the money on another tank/tub, hides, thermostat, heat pad, thermometer. But some how had a couple hundred dollars to spend on another snake, without making sure they could properly house and care for it.

Wow! I'm sorry I didn't know I was asking a repeat question that pisses everybody off. I guess I should have Googled it & found contradicting answers without asking someone. Two people told me in person it would be ok & the guy that is selling me the kingsnake said it should be ok & I got some good advice on this forum about the provent a mite that worked like a charm & everybody that day was so nice & helpful to me that I figured I would ask you guys since its supposed to be a help forum on ball pythons. I know I do not have any experience whatsoever until June 22 at ever having a snake before in my life until my 11 year old son talked me into buying him 1 for his birthday & I am the one having to take care of it just like all the other animals we have. I wanted the milksnake for my room & the guy met me with that one & another ball python that looked skinny & was in a pillowcase & told me $20 & I went out the next day & got it a tank & have been feeding all of them & taking care of them the best I know how. I'm just trying to learn because they are my responsibility now so I'm very sorry for asking stupid questions on here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Wow! I'm sorry I didn't know I was asking a repeat question that pisses everybody off. I guess I should have Googled it & found contradicting answers without asking someone. Two people told me in person it would be ok & the guy that is selling me the kingsnake said it should be ok & I got some good advice on this forum about the provent a mite that worked like a charm & everybody that day was so nice & helpful to me that I figured I would ask you guys since its supposed to be a help forum on ball pythons. I know I do not have any experience whatsoever until June 22 at ever having a snake before in my life until my 11 year old son talked me into buying him 1 for his birthday & I am the one having to take care of it just like all the other animals we have. I wanted the milksnake for my room & the guy met me with that one & another ball python that looked skinny & was in a pillowcase & told me $20 & I went out the next day & got it a tank & have been feeding all of them & taking care of them the best I know how. I'm just trying to learn because they are my responsibility now so I'm very sorry for asking stupid questions on here.
    Deep breaths... We do want to be helpful on this forum, and I think it's great that you're coming here rather than just taking the first advice you hear. Unfortunately, pet stores propagate the feeling that it is easy to maintain multiple BPs together, directly or indirectly, simply because they are pet stores with limited space and they want to display animals for sale as efficiently as possible. Since it sounds like you've been bitten by the reptile bug, you might want to check out a rack system to replace your BP tanks, instead of a new tank. Animal Plastics has a pretty affordable economy line, or there are a lot of DIY threads on this forum.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Most people do ask this question because they don't want to or have the money to buy another enclosure, but I was not insinuating that YOU are. I just made a simple statement. I was not being rude, condescending, insinuating, etc., etc. But like I said, you will take it as you wish, and I apologize for that. You did not, in any way, piss me off

I'm glad you came here to ask your question, so you can learn why majority of us do not house ball pythons together. We are all trying to help you and give you the best advice on the situation. If space is the issue, you can even make a shelving unit to hold all your tanks. I personally prefer tubs, which would be suitable for your balls, kingsnake and Leo ( sorry I'm not sure if you have anything else? ) and are great space savers.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    I'm sorry but people ARE being rude in this thread. Those being rude are obviously assuming that the OP was asking knowing there is controversy about it, and so they threw their baggage at him. I would understand if the OP put up resistance to the advice first, but that isn't the case here. Seems to me people need to avoid these type threads as they have become too emotional about it.

Sent from my iPho

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gomojoe For This Useful Post:

KEG22 (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Or maybe we should make it a sticky
    "can I house my ball pythons together?" is a very common thread title. I think a sticky on the subject would be valuable so we don't have to repeat ourselves. I think some of the frustration and rudeness comes from the fact that we have repeated this info so many times.
    ~Steffe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (08-03-2012)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast