Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

1 members and 2,745 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Feeding & Handling Question(s)

Hi everyone,

I have been creeping on this site for awhile and have learned a lot from all of you! I hate to post another feeding question, as I have done numerous searches and have followed a lot of the suggestions. I got a ball python in July (was told it was a baby but unsure of the actual age..) It was eating f/t mice great until a little over a month ago. I know that they go on fasts certain time of the year but I am worried because the snake is still growing.... nothing has changed in its habitat whatsoever. It is in a glass enclosure but I have been able to keep the humidity levels right with a large water bowl and towels. Around the time it stopped eating I have noticed it out of its hides more during the day. I got black paper and covered 3 sides of the tank and have not held it or touched it since it stopped eating. I don't know if I should try to feed it a live mouse or just hold out longer?? Also, I am worried about it getting crazy without contact at a young age when I do start to handle it again..(I got the snake as a pet so I would like to hold it sometimes) but have not done so for over a month so do you think that will impact how it acts as it grows older? Thank you so much!

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry unless it starts losing a noticeable about of weight.

They go on and off feed sometimes. It's pretty normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessimica For This Useful Post:

DRose (10-23-2014)

Thanks
    Sounds like you have a handle on things.

I wouldn't worry about taking measure to get it eating again unless it starts to look unhealthy. You are correct BPs will fast and it's not uncommon for it to happen this time of year, a little early but its not like they keep a calendar.

Just keep doing what your doing and unless it looks undernourished or gets weak rely on the fact that it will eat when it is hungry.

If it is small/light the capacity for fasting is less but again don't worry until it shows signs of undernourishment.

However,

By not handling it now you are not damaging its comfort with being handled. Might take time to get used to it again but it wont decrease it's capacity for handling by not handling it now.

I wouldn't worry about blocking out the light from the enclosure with black paper, if it wants darkness it will go back into the hide.

I would also not switch over to live food unless you really need to get it eating again. At some point you will probably need to go from f/t mice to f/t rats and the switch will be much easier if it is only that and not live mice to f/t rats.

Hope this helps but like I said you seem to have a good handle on it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Velrys For This Useful Post:

DRose (10-23-2014)