Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,201

0 members and 2,201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I guess intent and supporting records would prove to me that quality isn't random. I'm sure they do, but is every animal produced amazing? I would rather produce reliable quality animals than a single or few amazing examples and some mediocre examples.

Because I have such a small collection I feel like it would be a more sound investment to find an animal that will produce an entire clutch of reliable quality than an animal that will produce a clutch of one amazing animal and some others.

H00blah, I agree with you on spider. The reason for the title of this thread is that I really enjoy the morph and the color changing aspects of it. When Mr. Spence suggested calico, which I had not thought of, I was excited because it seems to do something similar to spider.

That is a great way to put it, "powerful" is how I would describe what I am looking for.

Also agreed I don't expect to make any money... ever actually. What I meant was that I don't have any interest in Leucistic animals other than having one for a guaranteed gene in a pairing. I just meant that they would be sold rather than kept since I seem to be in the minority in my opinion of leucistics was hoping they would go quickly.

I see what you're saying. But that is the point of "lines" right? Breeders find animals that have some trait they like and they hatch a clutch, keep the best example of that trait from the clutch and breed it back over and over. That is breeding for a trait, since a BP generation is only a year, more for females some time, I would assume this can have an affect very rapidly.

It's interesting that you put spider in the unreliable column when I would consider them to be reliable. Maybe we are looking at different aspects of the morph? When I look at a spider I am looking at the slender black markings on the spine that extends down the sides I am looking primarily at contrast not at spacing between side markings, or head pattern. I like the white that travels up the sides of the animal and the coloring that results between the white sides and black spine. Though I don't really look at percentages of color or how level the white/color border is. (These are all terrible descriptions, I know, sorry) What do you look for in a spider?

Long story still long I guess, I say reliable based on how obviously not normal they are. Where as a Ghi can be REALLY COOL or a funny looking normal, I think spiders always look like spiders.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    Technically no, it's not possible to produce ONLY top-shelf animals 100% of the time. The reason is that it takes 2 to reproduce, and both animals pass on their traits. If you're looking to buy 1 good looking male to pair with all your females, you may reproduce a male that looks just as good, but the babies will also inherit traits from each mother, going further away from your desired traits. What you're looking for is impossible.

About the lines topic, you're assuming that all the breeders I mentioned line-breed for specific traits to refine the gene that I really like of theirs. That's just not the case. In fact, I only know of a few breeders who line-breed to enhance a gene - Justin Kobylka, NERD, and brian gundy. I'm sure there are others, but the folks I mentioned don't simply line-breed for their good stuff. They kust buy quality parents for their breeding stock, and consistently produce quality babies. Again, they can produce a brownish pastel, or a spotty enchi, but we're going for consistency. 100% would be fantastic - unfortunately that result is just that... fantasy lol.

For spiders, I look at the overall color, pattern, white sides, and head pattern. There are dark dark brown spiders, and very high gold spiders. There are spiders with a single dorsal stripe, and spiders with race tracks (almost pin-like), and spiders with a mix. There are low-no white spiders, and high whites. There are also some head patterns that have proven genetic. I forget who, but someone on this forum had a spider with a cool skull-like head pattern, and its babies had the same thing! Jimmy Ma's clowns seem to have a sweet sword-like shape on their heads, and so did their father!

My final suggestion for you is to just buy morphs that display traits that best exemplify the gene, as well as any other traits that you favor. Then determine your pairings by looking at what trait best complements each other. You won't be disappointed with the babies . I'm sure not!
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

I keep coming back to spider

As far as spiders go. They are amazing. My boyfriends bumblebee was father to three clutches. All three different girls. One was a pastel. Another was a somewhat reduce normal. And the last was my pinstripe girl. Now not all these are super reduce. Actually I don't think any of them really have reduce patterns. But I feel like every baby spider we got was either really reduce or close to it. They all have super cool head patterns too. I love the recent ones that came from my pinstripe girl. They are lovely examples. And I can't wait to see them eat and grow.

Here's the daddy if you want an example of him

And here are some of his baby spiders.

I believe these to be very good examples. But that is if you like a reduce pattern, opposed to a busy one. I think a spider would be a great addition of you choose that one

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Last edited by Solarsoldier001; 10-18-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

Thanks

Re: I keep coming back to spider

I love spiders and pins also the pattern just gives them a look that cant be topped i have 1 spider and 1 spider mojo and am picking up a pin next week i will make some spinners or jigsaws i hope soon

Thanks

Re: I keep coming back to spider

Some great advice is always helpful along with some great pictures .

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12