Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

1 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

My BP sits in his waterbowl all the time

Hey guys. Let me start off by saying that this is my first post here. In fact, I registered here just to ask this question.

My BP has a water bowl in the warm side of his cage that he uses occasionally to soak in when he is coming to the end of his shed. Lately, however, he has been hanging out in it constantly. This started the same day i fed him last, about 6 days ago. He doesn't seem to be shedding, either. Although his cycle is about due, I don't see any signs of it yet. After a quick search of the internet, I found that this was not considered common and would only generally happen if his humidity was too low. And it was... So, I've taken steps to raise his humidity, which now sits at a consistant 60-70% and his temp stays at 80 degrees F on the warm side (water bowl side). My hydrogometer and thermometer is a 2 in one thing that sits just above floor level in the warm side of his cage, for best accuracy. He also has aspen shavings as bedding and a dark-purpleish heat lamp that emits little light. But even with what I understand to be an acceptable environment, he still will not leave the water bowl. He has a hide on his cool side and a stick for climbing, so I know he's got better things he could be doing.. if that makes sense lol.

Any ideas as to why he is so attached to the bowl all of a sudden? I've had him for 5 years now and have never seen him take to it for this long before. I'm told that it can be unhealthy for him to spend that much time fully submerged in water.
    Thanks in advance for any advice, guys!

Thanks

Re: My BP sits in his waterbowl all the time

Check around his eyes, nose, vent, and mouth and see if you notice any mites. Usually they soak a lot to drown the mites.
    1.2 Ball Python
    1.0 Arg. Tegu
    0.1 Egyptian Uromastyx

Thanks

Could he have mites?

Thanks
    Yes it sounds like he has mites. How long have you had your bp? You can use products such as provent a mite as well as some other products that will help get rid of them. Just follow the directions on the can to the letter, and you should be fine.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes What Sammiebob said. Check for mites. Mine did that and that's what I found. Couple other got them too. I was very strict about using mite off. sprayed the rack and tubs and even the snakes. couple days of this and haven't seen any more. Put him on paper towels and see if any come off, also check the water bowl for tiny black specks.

Thanks
    I would suspect mites

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

BP's will also use their waterbowls as a hide if nothing else suitable is around.

They like their hides to touch them all over (i.e. be tight ) and the water gives them this feeling.

You mention only one hide in the cool end - you really want a nice dark secure hide in both the cool and warm end.

Those half log hides are a bit open and exposed - this is worse if they are also too large. What kind of hides are you using?

Also your temps are off.

I take the temps inside their hides as that is where they normally sit and your cool end hide should be 80f and the warm end hide around 90-92F.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-03-2014)