Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,043

0 members and 2,043 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How dangerous are these snakes to kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    you may not like the idea of having a "rule" about the kids telling you that they are going to take out one of the snakes because of the ages of the children vs. the size of the snake (at this point in time).
    Actually, he said WITH rules like telling him they are taking the snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nashveg View Post
    I'm usually one who challenges conventional wisdom or hard rules that don't seem to be based on substantial risk- and I'm not so sure I accept that I can't let my older kids (7 and 9) be with these young ball pythons unsupervised (with rules- like tell me when you take them out and don't let them get close to your head).
    Like I said...your house, your kids, YOUR rules! Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you're going to go with. Just don't be surprised if some folks are a bit forceful with their own idea of how it should be done...that's just human nature sometimes. Especially if someone feels strongly about their own risk assessment/acceptance opinions.

Here's one more thing to consider when allowing the kids to play with the snakes unsupervised (albeit with known permission from you after they've asked)....is that they might set the snake down "for just a minute" to do something else (go to the bathroom or whatever)...snake wanders off and vanishes. OR, the kids might put the snakes safely away in their homes, but not secure them properly. It only takes one slip...one loose lid...one small crack of a tub not pushed in all the way....for them to wriggle their way out and go out exploring on their own with you none-the-wiser.

Anyhow...you know your kids...and you know your set-ups and how fool-proof they may or may not be to secure. Just a little food for thought.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I will make sure that the snakes are kept from their faces, though- that makes total sense. I'm usually one who challenges conventional wisdom or hard rules that don't seem to be based on substantial risk- and I'm not so sure I accept that I can't let my older kids (7 and 9) be with these young ball pythons unsupervised (with rules- like tell me when you take them out and don't let them get close to your head).
    maybe I misunderstood

any way around it the bottom line is to use common sense not only for the sake of the children but the animals as well even if it means setting some kind of rules.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

One more thought....

You said:
    My wife didn't like that one bit!!!! I also have a girl who turns 4 next week.

A little help?
    I don't know how your wife has reacted to the information that has been posted here...but this initial post leads me to believe that she's not particularly comfortable with them...especially with the small kids. It might be well worth your while to impose some stricter handling rules for HER sake...even if they seem like a bit of overkill to you. And maybe, over time, she'll come to know and understand them as well as you do and be able to relax to the same degree that you do.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Dusty- I was a bit unclear. I'm not sure I accept that I can't let the kids be with the snakes unsupervised (WITH RULES, like...)

Anyway, good comments by all. One of the reasons why the kids have to let me know when they're getting the snakes is so that I can make sure that they get back into their cage safely and securely. I just don't think I need to be in the room with them every minute.

The more I learn about these creatures, the more fascinated I am by them.

Thanks

FrankyKeno, that is awesome basic information that everyone should know- almost snake common sense. The problem is, not everyone knows this basic stuff. If only the pet stores had in-depth knowledge to teach their customers, snake negligence would not take place.

Thanks

Dusty- I was a bit unclear. I'm not sure I accept that I can't let the kids be with the snakes unsupervised (WITH RULES, like...)

Anyway, good comments by all. One of the reasons why the kids have to let me know when they're getting the snakes is so that I can make sure that they get back into their cage safely and securely. I just don't think I need to be in the room with them every minute.

The more I learn about these creatures, the more fascinated I am by them.
    Hey Nash, they are your kids so you know them best. If you think that they can handle the snakes without your supervision then you should let them be. Your their father so you make the rules, just give them pointers all the time and they should be awesome with the snakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Any snake 3ft+ is able to wrap and constrict a humans neck no problem. Which is some cases is nothing to get off with corns but with some thicker stronger snakes not so easy.

I recommend not allowing kids to ever hold snakes around their neck since kids muscle development is still under way and dont have the strength to pull of a constricting snake. Not to mention the sense of being scared will play a roll

Im a big guy and even with snakes like boas i will not put on my neck unless theres another adult MALE there who is ready if the worst were to happen.

I will not hold a snake unless i have 2 ppl per 6ft of snake there if needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

I teach my grandkids the way I taught my kids, I have never sugar coated the possible dangers of things such as guns, my snakes, playing in the road etc. We hunt so my children have been around guns/weapons/animals all their lives.

My grandkids love holding & helping me care for my snakes, they are 6 & 3, I will not let the 6 y/o get any of my 2300+ big girls from their tubs, but anything under 1000g, he is allowed to take from the tub unsupervised, he does let me know when he's doing it, and when he's putting them back, and yes when he's done I do go peek to make sure tubs are secure
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

i was going to post, but after reading I think everything is covered.

I'm more concerned about the juvi ball than the kids

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast