Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

3 members and 2,992 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ahh...the first strike.

I've been waiting for this to happen. Almost hoping it would so I'd know what it was like and get over the anticipation. Well today, Quentin took his first shot at me. It's been 30 hours since I fed him and I went into the cage for the first time since to check on him just now. He was in his second hide (a shoe, loves it) and I slid him forward so I could see him fully. He was in the S position, but has done this many times and is usually just bluffing. I slowly stroked his side gently to let him know I was there and not a threat. After about ten seconds of that he lifted up and darted forward, missing the landing but bumping his head into my hand in what was clearly intended to be a 'piss off and let me chill' attempt at a bite. I took no offense, and put his shoe back in his enclosure with him still in it. I'll see what kind of mood he's in tomorrow! Any newbies with BP's, trust me, it's not a big deal to get struck at, and the anticipation of a bite is much worse then the bite itself. In my one time experience it's just the snake trying to tell you he'd rather have some alone time right now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jsixfingers For This Useful Post:

SuddenEclipse (08-21-2011)

Thanks
    Instead of petting him, why not pick him up?

When hes in his territory, its his territory. He needs to feel safe there, so he will defend what hes got. He may not understand "getting pet", so he takes it as a simple threat to his relaxation.

If you just pick him up, he will understand, he is being handled now, he realizes hes not longer flat footed in his own home.

Most of my younger BPs are pretty tame, but they dont like it when you just mess with them in their home. Some will hiss, others puff and breathe heavy, others will strike. You got to pick them up to let them know who's boss kind of.

With a bunch of my older BPs I'd feel safe enough to pet them in their enclosure and not worry about them biting or getting agitated, they are more like dogs nowadays. Attention seekers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seang89 For This Useful Post:

jsixfingers (08-21-2011),muzikfreakah (08-22-2011)

Thanks
    Well I've always let him know I'm there and comin' in with a few strokes on his side and it just feels right to me. He's never shown any sign of wanting to defend his territory, no hissing, puffing, lets me pet him for a second and then I immediately get a few fingers under him and start to raise him. It's been a system that's worked well for us thus far, I believe he struck today because he was cranky and digesting, or he was still hungry and aggressive from his previous days feeding. I'll continue to give him a pet or two unless I'm told it's actually a negative thing, or unless he continues to strike, at which point I'll move to just scooping him up.

Six

Thanks

Re: Ahh...the first strike.

I always do the same kinda thing....let him know you're there and its not some predator, then pick him up. of course I have hides I just pick up....as much of a wuss he is I'm not sure I'm stickin my hand in his hide hole any time soon. Maybe you should try lifting the one end of the shoe so he slides down to the open end next time.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Yeah thats what I did. He was about three quarters out of the shoe into the open heel when we had our little confrontation. I'm not concerned, he didn't go as fast or hard as he did at the mouse yesterday, it was clearly just an annoyed reaction from a fat sleepy snake. Methinks. Next time I get him out if he's in the shoe I plan on sliding him all the way to the heel so I can get a better handle on him. His head was still in the dark of the shoe when he struck, so he probably wasn't happy with me reaching a finger in. Although I've pulled/slid him out of the shoe many times before and he's never reacted in much of any way even when he's in the far end of the toe. A little annoyed but never hostile about it.

Six

Thanks

whenever I pull him out and he was sleeping you can tell cuz he always curls around my hand, gets his head in comfortable position then looks up at me with that "really!?" look, then proceeds to go back to sleep (he lies perfectly still so I guess he is)....its pretty damn funny.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    No pics?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    No pics?
    Me or him?
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    Funny I had that conversation myself last night with a bud of mine....a don't believe a snake likes to be stroked...its more for the owner. The best way not to get bit is go in and grab him. Same way with my african grey....he feels hesitation and will nip you. If you just go in and take him out right away they know whats up. I treat my snakes the same way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by womsterr View Post
    Funny I had that conversation myself last night with a bud of mine....a don't believe a snake likes to be stroked...its more for the owner. The best way not to get bit is go in and grab him. Same way with my african grey....he feels hesitation and will nip you. If you just go in and take him out right away they know whats up. I treat my snakes the same way.
    It's more of a tap to let em know your there just so he's not surprised, for me anyway.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire