Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

1 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Mouse variations?

Anybody else breed mouse variations just because you can?

We have a Siamese mouse that we are breeding to an albino (PEW) to make Himalayan mice.

Anytime we go to the local pet store that carries feeder we check to see if they have anything interesting or new we can introduce to our colonies.

We had Cows (piebald mice) but that gene seemed to be very dominant, so now we have a splash and an orange long haired mouse.

This was our long haired breeder female, but she recently died:

Ill try to get some good pictures of the Siamese male.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Mouse variations?

Mice are so much fun to play with genetically...

I love the variation of colors they come in.

I'll see if I can take some pics of mine.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Given the option, I'd rather not breed boring mice - or rats, for that matter.

Recently got very excited, since it's a big deal 'round here to find a mouse that isn't a plain ol' laboratory albino, to find a shop with longhair satinette mice in gold, silver - and calico/brindle! They were pricey, but we brought home the calico male, gold female, and a black & tan female. The gold and brindle were dead within hours, and the black & tan lasted another two days - when we went back to the shop, their remaining male (silver) was also dead - and the spotted/cow female was on a _single_ fuzzie.

Fortunately, the rest of our colony is just fine. (TG for quarantine!)

'Nother time, I guess!

~Bruce

Thanks

I love adding new and interesting mice to the colony to see what will pop out! I've thrown in so much weird stuff that's it's hard to tell any more what genes my mice carry. lol

Right now I've got two moms on litters that are mainly silver and white or orange and white patched babies with either black or red eyes. I've got some brindles, different color splotched, and selfs. I was at the pet store a couple weeks ago and they had quite a few colored fancies and I was tempted to get a black and tan male they had but passed because we had somewhere else to stop off. Wouldn't ya know it, he was gone this last weekend when I went back specifically for him.

I'm doing the same with the rats, selecting holdbacks and refining colors and patterns. And then adding new blood every now and then. I'm getting a lot of dumbo babies now, and it's so hard not to keep them just as pets.

here's a pile of mouse babies from a few months ago.
    `*`

Thanks

So in breeding rodents to feed your snakes you guys found like a sub-hobby in breeding mice? Thats tight. I was thinking of getting an ASF colony and it's got a couple albinos in it, but my wife is NOT having rodents breeding at ALL. I have to kill any left over live feeders and freeze them, but nobody eats F/T yet...
    ]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    So in breeding rodents to feed your snakes you guys found like a sub-hobby in breeding mice? Thats tight. I was thinking of getting an ASF colony and it's got a couple albinos in it, but my wife is NOT having rodents breeding at ALL. I have to kill any left over live feeders and freeze them, but nobody eats F/T yet...
    My fiance (Wife in about 11 days now) says the only way we can have breeder rodents is if she can pick the pairings, so I let her have fun and so far we have a fairly robust mouse colony, but our rats just keep dying off....

We have only had 2 litters of rats, they either get tumors, mega-colon, pneumonia, or something else that just kills the breeders.

I moved our last litter of rats inside the house from the garage to hopefully keep them from contracting whatever keeps killing the others.
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

We had a brindle but he wasn't getting the job done so he got fed off as of right now we have 5 litters on the ground. 2 are just weaned the 3rd just opened their eyes yesterday, then 1 is fuzzy and the other is just getting pigment. All in all we have about 50+ mice, but since I have 4 BP that are under 400g they get fed twice a week and they will all go rather quickly.

We are holding back all of the offspring of the Siamese and the PEW to see which develop the siamese trait, because they have to molt their baby coat and develop their adult coat before they gain the dark points.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do (I do not breed Albinos)

Here are just a few example when I first started my colony

Now over 2 years later I have Black, Blue, Lilac, Beige, Dove and Coffee and all those come in short hair (though long hair pop up here and there) either self, fox or marked.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I do (I do not breed Albinos)
    The Albinos I posted will molt the lighter white and gain pigment at the points like the Siamese, but will be lighter in color and have pink eyes instead of ruby and be considered Himalayan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Now over 2 years later I have Black, Blue, Lilac, Beige, Dove and Coffee and all those come in short hair (though long hair pop up here and there) either self, fox or marked.
    My fiance loves the long hair, we also have a silky/satin black and white spotted (piebald). Her litter is from the siamese, but none of the pinks appear to be Pink Eyed.

Anyone else notice that you can tell when they are pinkies whether they will have black eyes or red?

Thanks

i am a sucker for any animal with siamese points! really i am!

i have a black girl and a spotted handsom male

I am excited for my babies! I CANT WAIT!

Yes i need to go see if they have anything fun at the pet shop also

1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Hurricane Hypo
    0.1 %66 PH hypo
    Hedgehogs:Bailey, Shinzi, Nebula, Shuffle & Thor
    African grey - Jayden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast